1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CA Supreme Court grants review of Prop 8!

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by beckyg, Nov 19, 2008.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    California Supreme Court Grants Review In Prop 8 Legal Challenges
    Court to determine constitutionality of Prop 8

(San Francisco, California, November 19, 2008)—Today the California Supreme Court granted review in the legal challenges to Proposition 8, which passed by a narrow margin of 52 percent on November 4. In an order issued today, the Court agreed to hear the case and set an expedited briefing schedule. The Court also denied an immediate stay.

On November 5, 2008, the National Center for Lesbian Rights, the American Civil Liberties Union, and Lambda Legal filed a lawsuit challenging the validity of Proposition 8 in the California Supreme Court on behalf of six couples and Equality California. The City of San Francisco, joined by the City of Los Angeles, the County of Los Angeles, and Santa Clara County, filed a similar challenge, as did a private attorney in Los Angeles.

The lawsuits allege that, on its face, Proposition 8 is an improper revision rather than an amendment of the California Constitution because, in its very title, which was “Eliminates the right to marry for same-sex couples,” the initiative eliminated an existing right only for a targeted minority. If permitted to stand, Proposition 8 would be the first time an initiative has successfully been used to change the California Constitution to take away an existing right only for a particular group. Such a change would defeat the very purpose of a constitution and fundamentally alter the role of the courts in protecting minority rights. According to the California Constitution, such a serious revision of our state Constitution cannot be enacted through a simple majority vote, but must first be approved by two-thirds of the Legislature.

Since the three lawsuits submitted on November 5, three other lawsuits challenging Proposition 8 have been filed. In a petition filed on November 14, 2008, leading African American, Latino, and Asian American groups argued that Proposition 8 threatens the equal protection rights of all Californians.

On November 17, 2008, the California Council of Churches and other religious leaders and faith organizations representing millions of members statewide, also filed a petition asserting that Proposition 8 poses a severe threat to the guarantee of equal protection for all, and was not enacted through the constitutionally required process for such a dramatic change to the California Constitution. On the same day, prominent California women’s rights organizations filed a petition asking the Court to invalidate Proposition 8 because of its potentially disastrous implications for women and other groups that face discrimination.

In May of 2008, the California Supreme Court held that barring same-sex couples from marriage violates the equal protection clause of the California Constitution and violates the fundamental right to marry. Proposition 8 would completely eliminate the right to marry only for same-sex couples. No other initiative has ever successfully changed the California Constitution to take away a right only from a targeted minority group.

Over the past 100 years, the California Supreme Court has heard nine cases challenging either legislative enactments or initiatives as invalid revisions of the California Constitution. In three of those cases, the Court invalidated those measures

2. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  3. acorn7

This is great!

What does it actually imply, though? That they could actually cancel Prop 8, or that it would simply not change the constitution while still prohibiting same-sex marriages?

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    It means they are going to decide whether Prop 8 is unconstitutional and therefore invalid.

5. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Excellent! I hope the court rules it unconstitutional. Those Prop 8 proponents need that ugly grin smacked right off their crappy faces. ^_^

I just watched a Yes on Prop 8 advert and it has to be the most over-exaggerated piece of propaganda ever. Even the Nazi's would think they're nuts. :eek:

6. Derek the Wolf

Do we know when we'll hear the news? I really hope they strike down the bill.

7. Nodnarb

:slight_smile:

I'm no legal expert, but it sounds like they've got a great argument.

I have a good feeling about this.

8. EM68

I heard that there were 3 lawsuits filed today.

9. biisme

Awesome!!! Hopefully all will be well. :slight_smile:

10. Choucho

Whoo! That's incredibly good news. ^.^ I knew that people would never just sit there and watch this happen.

Yay! I can't wait to here the outcome. ^.^

11. No One

it is defiantly unconstitutional if we cant marry straight people shouldn't be able to either
    this is great!

12. agraves

This is so exciting and encouraging. I can't wait to see what happens.

13. aaaaaa

aaaaaa Guest

Well, the justices of the California State Supreme Court will not only weigh the issue at hand-- they'll also rule based on potential precedent of Proposition 8. If the justices rule in favor of Prop 8, it sets a precedent of allowing the people to decide who has certain civil rights and who doesn't by a simple majority rule. Even if someone doesn't agree with gay marriage, they must acknowledge that this kind of example is both disastrous and unethical.

Anyway, I'm glad the court decided to hear it-- here's to hoping they overturn Prop 8! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

14. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree. This is why I hate it in debates when people say "well, the people voted." I'm sure some probably would have voted yes anyway. But I'll bet any amount of money that if it weren't for the scare tactics, pressure, and flat out lies about Prop 8 made by their side more people would have voted no. They deceived the public in order to get a majority vote.

15. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats Californians! Hopefully it will be deemed unconstitutional!

16. VomAnderenUfer

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    From the NY Times:
    We won't get a decision for a while, I take it.

Edit: Btw, I think the no on 8 side has a very good case. The Supreme Court struck down the ban originally because they saw it as a violation of the California Constitution's Equal Protection Clause; they found "that the California legislative and initiative measures limiting marriage to opposite-sex couples violate the state constitutional rights of same-sex couples and may not be used to preclude same-sex couples from marrying." So really, Prop 8 by their logic is a revision of the Equal Protection Clause so that it does not apply to gays and lesbians.

Of course, I'm biased ;-) and there is always politics to be considered, so I really do not know what will happen.

#17 VomAnderenUfer, Nov 19, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  17. Tim

Tim

Wait, didn't Prop 8 start BECAUSE a court found it unconstitutional for same sex partners to be denied the right to be married? >_>

Won't this just start all over again? :S

18. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You know it was also just confusing. Did people think "if I vote yes am I voting for gay marriage?" when exactly the opposite was true.

It looks like it will be March before we hear anything.

19. Fiorino

I have to admit-it had me confused as well.
    "Yes" on gay marriage. Oh crap. "NO" on prop 8!
    Hopefully some of the people voted "NO" thinking
    it was no on gay marriage, to balance it out.
    I think it was probably explained on the ballot
    though.