1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News UKIP and no manifesto section

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by JustVisting, Apr 16, 2015.

1. JustVisting

So UKIP are being criticized for not having a section in the manifesto to LGBT. I dont want to get into a debate about UKIP but does there need to be a section to LGBT? I mean people who happen to be LGBT are....people. I think having a sub section to gender orientation is a bit patronizing and divisive. What do you think?

2. Foz

Foz Guest

I'll still be voting Tory, but it doesn't phase me in any way shape or form. If every manifesto had a section for every minority it'd just be boring. I can't think of anything else the LGBT community in the UK needs from the government.

3. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not voting for them, so I don't really care. It's obvious to anyone that they're not an LGBT-friendly party.

4. Im Hazel

They originally said that they had 3 goals. That was 2 racist things, and something about undoing everything about equal marriage.

5. LiquidSwords

Obviously government policy on lgbt stuff is important. Are we pretending gay marriage wasn't a big political issue last parliament, or that sex education or tackling bullying and stuff like this isn't now.. ukip's approach to lgbt issues is very different to most of the other mainstream parties and gay rights would go backwards under a ukip government, but you don't care about that?

They don't put what they actually feel about lgbt people in their manifesto because they know it will be used as a stick to beat them with - because it would be something along the lines of we don't like gay people

6. Minnie

Ideally there would be no legislature for people dependent on their gender and/or orientation, yet as a category we still face discrimination and, for the time being, are better having legal legislature protecting us. At least, I think we are... I'd like to be proven wrong!
    Some UKIP members have made homophobic comments in the past, and no sane politician in the UK would do that expecting to not get any backlash. With this in mind I'd rather there be something in writing protecting equal rights, especially from parties like UKIP.

7. -Lana-

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Green Party are really good with equality :grin:

8. yoonicorn

I seem to remember reading a while ago that they had no interest in changing whatever legislation was in place when they came into power, so when same sex marriage was legalized, they said they wouldn't undo it. But if it hadn't been legalized and civil ceremonies were still the only option, they wouldn't change it.
    If that is the case, I doubt they'd advertise it. Homophobes aren't going to like that rights won't be taken away, and allies aren't going to like that more rights will be given.

9. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think every serious political party should make a commitment to equality, be it LGBT, women, disabled or ethnic minorities. If they are credible and have serious intentions towards improving society for all people it's a must.