1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Iceman is gay?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BudderMC, Apr 21, 2015.

1. BudderMC

2. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Homophobic comic book loving straight boys, UNITE!

3. 741852963

I'm a bit pissed to be honest as it messes up the film canon.

4. randomly me

randomly me Guest

Well....depending on which universe timeline etc. your in it will differ anyway so....*shrugs*

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

There's... a few problems with this, from a continuity stand point. I have no issue with it from a general one.

Jean Grey must be the worst telepath in the world, if she's just now finding this out. And that's just one of the problems with all of this.

Still, I'll keep an eye on where this goes.

As for the films, it won't have any influence on them... or so it was said. That could change, I suppose.

6. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Queer as Folk is coming to life. LOL.

7. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seems a bit unnecessary but heythe more the merrier

8. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ... It really doesn't.

---------- Post added 21st Apr 2015 at 06:25 PM ----------

As for the actual post I don't really read a ton of current Marvel so it doesn't affect me although I really like Iceman.

9. BudderMC

I honestly just found this entertaining because, besides having always liked Iceman, my rep name for frosh week this year happened to be Iceman. :rolle:

10. Cedar

It didn't really look like he came out himself, more like he was outed by someone else.

11. Burnedcloset

It would be interesting if the films made him come out.

In the movie doesn't his mom ask him if he "tryed to be normal" or something that sounds like something someone would say when a child comes out?

12. MattisStuck

13. wolf of fire

But Rogue and Iceman *cries over death of ship*

14. Minamimoto_Fan

I rather didn't like how they handled it tbh, it felt very forced and more like he was being forced out, and honestly that is the worst way to handle it.

They could have done something like they did with Wolverine and Hercules but nope, we got a very awkward situation where he was forced out and there was cringe worthy dialogue at how poorly written it was

15. 741852963

Of course it does.

In the first X-Men film Ice Man (Bobby Drake) is in a love triangle vying for the affections of Rogue. In the second and third films they are shown to be a loving and happy couple.

There are no indications of Bobby being gay whatsoever in the films in fact quite the opposite: the couples relationship being strained due to lack of much wanted intimacy (due to Rogues powers), and then being strengthened once Rogue's power was subdued and they could be intimate at last.

Surely if Bobby was gay and merely using Rogue as a beard he would be quite relieved at the lack of intimacy, as this would be the perfect excuse to not have sex?

Anyway, on the topic, it has annoyed me. I want to see new gay characters introduced, I'm not a fan of making current characters "token gays" seemingly to try to appease LGBT fans, it feels very lazy and a it patronising. Plus I think it causes negative fan reaction from the wider readership - I think it rubs people up the wrong way having homosexuality squeezed artificially into storylines instead of it being allowed to develop organically.

16. DoriaN

It does feel a bit forced imo, but to be fair, maybe he didn't realize he was gay until after being intimate with Rogue..?

17. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

The comics take place in a different universe than the movies. While the films borrow from key elements, like powers, background, and maybe even certain events, from the comics, they're pretty much their own alternate dimension, free to do what they like to a degree.

So, it is possible for Iceman to be gay in the comics and not in the movies.

That said, I agree with that last part you said. Especially since, in this case, it's so sudden and forced. It also makes Jean Grey look like an idiot for suddenly figuring this out, and... well, it'd be less "dumb" if he were bisexual. You can kind of explain that. For him to be totally homosexual, as it is displayed here, just rips so many holes into logic and continuity.

18. Lazuri

Tbh, I don't really like what Marvel is doing. At this point it basically feels like they're just sitting with a long checklist and checking off minorities. I mean, for fuck's sake, the new Spider-man is black, hispanic AND gay. And the worst part is that they're being lazy about it and just changing old heroes instead if adding new ones. I've also yet to see a villain that's "changed for the better." No, it'd be wrong making a villain gay because that would insinuate that gay people are evil.

Some diversity is great, but when you're just shoehorning it in just so that it's there I think it's insulting more than anything else.

19. Jellal

Whenever you make a move like this in making a character gay, well, you're damned if you do or damned if you don't. It's never going to satisfy everybody. Some will cheer. Others whine or get angry. And everyone has their own reasons for doing so.

Me personally, I never even heard of this icy fartman or whoever. I don't read comics.

20. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Iceman being gay actually makes sense. In the movies, Bobby dates Rogue — the one girl he can't have ANY sexual contact with because it would kill him. She's the perfect beard for a closeted gay guy. He could pretend to be straight and in love with Rogue, and he wouldn't have to perform sexually since he can use the "Oh I'd love to Rogue, but your touch will kill me" excuse."

He also didn't seem too happy when she revealed she got the cure at the end of X3. Could it be because he knew he would have to eventually reveal he was gay? :eek:

It would be interesting to see if future X-men movies address this issue.