1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Jenner in the media

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by ahundredpennies, Apr 22, 2015.

1. ahundredpennies

Hey guys. What are your opinions of the depiction of Jenner's transition in the media?

2. 741852963

It is EXTREMELY sensationalist.

Even here across the channel it is being discussed.

I find the whole Sawyer interview and it's "teaser trailer" adverts building up to it (like this one) rather horrific.

Just the whole way it is set up almost like a freak show "Bruce Jenner...THE interview". They might as well have said "roll up, roll up, come see the transgender person!". And its set up in such a "confessional" manner - like he owes it to the nation to "come clean".

3. wolf of fire

Never heard of her before she came out, still no real idea who she is.

4. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is really annoying me all of it. Yes there are rumors out there and yes there is a huge possibility it is true but before it is possibly confirmed let's not jump to conclusions like these. Even it is true it is still completely no one's business and let's just leave it alone.

5. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    To be honest, I always thought he was a female...

6. Aldrick

When all of this stuff started to leak out about Jenner, I stumbled upon a video by Russel Brand discussing it. Although he is somewhat of a loon, he did a fantastic job of dissecting the way the media has handled the entire situation. I can't do any better, so I am just going to link the video.

[YOUTUBE]Lol1puA78hE[/YOUTUBE]

7. ApexxShadow

It makes me sad that the media is shaming her, bullying her, and using the wrong pronouns. I just want to give her a hug.

8. 741852963

To play devil's advocate I think the pronoun thing is perfectly understandable.

When you have someone who has not only spent decades of life presenting as a man, but also done so as a male celebrity then any change of pronoun use will take time. Just as people transitioning need time to accept changes, those external to the transition need time too. As an example, lets say I was called Dave and suddenly get it changed to Steve...people are going to keep calling me Dave for at least the first couple of months.

Now this is especially the case given Jenner has not even begun fully to transition yet, and still uses a very masculine name. It is logical that when Bruce is used "he" is going to be slipped in.

Plus the press are dicussing Jenner's past life as a sportsman and the role as a father, futher muddying the pronoun waters. He (as presented) was a sportsman, he was a bio-man, competing as a man, against other men in male competitive sport. It might not make sense to the press in that context to say either "she was a sportsman" (as it contradicts) or "she was a sportswoman" as that has the implication of female competition.

Just my two cents.

9. juliegt6

Fantastic athlete, Olympian, and step father to a bunch of morons.

Hopefully Jenner gets through this. Being trans it's hard enough without being watched this closely. I'm kind of surprised Jenner wants the attention in regards to this.

10. Jellal

Honestly the first thing I think about whenever I hear the name Bruce Jenner is that episode of the Boondocks where Uncle Ruckus rants about how "the white man" doesn't have enough representatives in athletics, and he suggests a Bruce Jenner sneaker

I have otherwise basically no sophisticated thoughts in regards to this subject whatsoever.

11. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    If Jenner didn't want the attention from all this than Jenner wouldn't have hyped the interview and a new reality show about all this.

12. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, you need to make money for transitioning, and just for living somehow...given the Olympic glory days are far in the past, this is one way. An aging athlete only has so many options, especially one who wasn't, say, a major NFL star.

I think people are being a bit too hard on Jenner.

13. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is funny how we are here complaining about jenner not being left alone and harassed by the media when here we are obsessing about rumors that are not even proven true yet. Yeah I'll say there is a lot of signs that it is true but I won't believe it unless he actually confirms it which he has not done and here we are assuming things and are just a bad as the media and the way they are handling the rumors. Please take a step back people!

#13 dano218, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  14. 741852963

To be fair, it is a little more than just media rumours now.

His family have all made statements supporting the transition, he shows some pretty obvious signs of a transition (such as him visiting re a chondrolaryngoplasty, an elective cosmetic surgery done almost exclusively for MTF people) and then he has a full interview scheduled regarding a big change.

It is pretty much 99% confirmed, unless of course Jenner has just pulled of the greatest trolling prank in the history of earth. I guess we will see tomorrow.

15. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree. I think it is pretty clear that it could be true but being the skeptic I am I won't go to that conclusion until it is words out of his mouth. His family has said they support him and stuff like that but correct me if I am wrong it looks like they have not exactly when into detail on what is going on so I will remain skeptical no matter what until it is the words out of his mouth.

#15 dano218, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  16. GoWithTheFlow

Out Status:
    All but family
    *slow clapping*

17. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Bruce recently said he prefers we use he/him pronouns, but confirmed the transition to becoming a woman. I'm not sure why Bruce prefers male pronouns, but whatever makes him feel better, I suppose. Former Olympian Bruce Jenner: ‘For all intents and purposes, I am a woman’ – LGBTQ Nation

I haven't really known Jenner since before the media started talking about his transition, but his story seems pretty great and inspiring considering he has gone through so much in his life. I just wished that the media would back off a little... The paparazzi have been all over this, even though it's none of their business.

#17 Skaros, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  18. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am watching the interview now and it is shocking, inspiring and realizes how you lucky you really to be in this world today compared to what life was like 30-50 years ago.

19. RainDreamer

I have a feeling like Bruce got forced to comeout by the media. Stll, best of luck to Bruce.

20. tulipinacup

Whenever my sisters watch the Kardashian show I always notice Bruce appear to be really unhappy and sad with just the way he talks or appears to be so I always thought something was up. I clearly do not know her life that well but I think this was brave of her and I hope she can find happiness.