1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Belated Happy Earth Day

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by LakanLunti, Apr 23, 2015.

1. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok, first of all I'll do a face palm for posting this a 30 hours late.

According to FOX News, the Earth is doing just fine, thank you.

Here are some factual REALITIES that will give us reason to at least say Happy Earth day to one's self.

It's been a while since I've read a good news pertaining to Earth's condition. I feel very happy to know that the Earth, whom I really LOVE, is still ok and fine. Now the problem is with it's inhabitants. HUMANS. :dry: Let us show that we care for Earth in our own little way. Little ways like PROPER garbage disposal and avoiding take outs in fast food chains and recycling. I would want to see that EC isnt only LGBT friendly, but also environment friendly <3

I would like to end this with this photo. Quadruple Rainbow, taken by Amanda Curtis. When? April 22, 2015, EARTH DAY :slight_smile:
    [​IMG]
    See, even Earth is pro LGBT!

2. LD579

I'm not gonna touch upon the correctness of the article or the views of Fox News, but I thought it'd be nice to share some easy ways to save on energy and resources and generally be a lot more green.

Water
    1. Staggered showers: When you take a shower, you can cut down on water usage by turning the shower off while you scrub up with soap or shampoo your hair. Once you're done lathering up, you can turn the shower back on and wash it off.
    2. Use less water when rinsing dishes, and don't leave the tap running when it doesn't need to be running

Purchases
    3. Buying in bulk reduces the wrapping and plastic used, etc., while saving you money as well
    4. Buying local (Such as from local farms) supports local farmers as well as vastly cuts down on emissions from imported food
    5. If you can find a way to eliminate packaging altogether, go for it. This could be something as simple as not buying bottled water and instead using a canteen for your own water, or making your own lunches and bringing them to school/work instead of buying packaged lunches. This should also save you money and it will likely be a lot healthier as well.

Electricity
    6. Unplug and/or turn off electronics and chargers when not in use. Don't leave the TV on if you're not watching :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    7. Turn off lights in rooms when they're not in use. It's insane how many rooms in schools, for instance, have them on at all times. Of course, there might be regulations at schools for this, so while it might be beyond you to turn off lights in rooms at schools, you can do this at home definitely. Also, take advantage of natural lighting from the outdoors by leaving curtains and blinds open when it's daytime. This can reduce or even eliminate your need for electrical lighting.

Transportation
    8. Public transit will run whether people are on it or not. It can be a great alternative to driving, depending on prices and other factors. There are some deals for students, such as where I live that give unlimited transit for students for a fair (Also mandatory, actually) price.
    9. Carpooling is a legit strategy, and you can split gas money as well.
    10. Walking or biking is cool and gives you exercise.
    11. If you have to drive from point A to point B, you could park your car at C, get out of the car, and then walk to B, do whatever it is you had to do, and then walk back to C and drive home to A. This results in less gas used and gets you walking around a bit more. See this handy diagram: A -------- C -- B

Misc.
    12. DON'T LITTER. IT'S ANNOYING FOR EVERYONE AND JERKISH. It can cause a lot of havoc for animals as well (Fish and turtles caught in soft drink plastics, for example).
    13. And, of course, reduce, reuse, and recycle paper, plastic, soft drink cans, cardboard, etc.

Some things that might get you started on thinking about the topic as well are terms like ecological footprint and the 100-mile diet. I know there was a family that aimed to reduce their garbage to 1 bag a year, and they managed to do so. Obviously that's a little extreme, but it's good to have goals, and they can be made and found anywhere. There's so much more that I've left out, but hopefully that gives people some ideas =]

Speaking of schools, you could organize an Earth Day and spread these ideas as well as others. It's really not that hard, especially if you know how to work with administration and proposing/presenting ideas. I remember I used to hold workshops about these concepts, and we managed to collect data on lights on in classrooms during lunch which were abandoned, and talked to some of those classrooms' teachers, as well as organizing a day for the school to be more green. Altogether, these actions stack up and get people primed to create their own ideas on how to be green.

As an aside, I remember reading about microbeads that're often in scrubs and cleansers. Those are apparently pretty terrible for the environment and water because they can be hard to filter once they go down the drain, and can cause havoc for marine life. If you can find a scrub/cleanser without them, I'd recommend doing so. Lots of things naturally exfoliate, too, such as oatmeal soap, which smells really nice and is really nice cool all around.

#2 LD579, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015