1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Well its coming next week

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Randall D, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Randall D

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The arguments before the Supremes.
    SS marriage.

Then a month or so of waiting, till June, and the decision.
    I have high hopes they will make their pro decision effective nation wide and not another limited decision.
    I actually would not be that surprised if it ended up an unanimous decision.
    I know thats hard to grasp, but Scalia has basically given up after his loss over DOMA.
    Scalia has stated publicly that the DOMA decision, while wrong in his mind, would amount to SS marriage nation wide. "Opening of the flood gates"
    All Scalia has to do now is rule by "the law", since he has admittedly lost the argument on ideology.
    And Ginsburg's statements in the media certainly gives the impression the high court is in fact poised to make a ground breaking decision.
    With the high court ruling as unanimous, that would give them some much needed cover from attacks by religious righties that would surely follow.
    I just hope the courts decision will address equality as a blanket ruling, and not another cop out by a limited ruling.
    After all, we have waited long enough.
    And the resistance from those opposed has become a joke. Pointless, absurd and unfounded.
    Surely the court can agree on that.

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am much less optimistic than you are. It will be a 5-4 decision based entirely on what side of the bed Anthony Kennedy woke up on and whether he enjoyed his breakfast amply or not.

~ Adrienne

3. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I highly doubt it would be unanimous. Even though the conservative justices admit that SSM would probably win, that doesn't really mean they will rule in favor of it.

Regardless, it seems likely that Justice Kennedy will vote in favor of SSM. With him, that would give a 5-4 majority in court. It's also possible another conservative justice (perhaps Roberts) would rule in our favor. I expect nothing more than a 6-3 ruling. Although, Kennedy is a major states' rights advocate. Who knows how he will rule...

I was just thinking the same thing. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#3 Skaros, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Roberts, Thomas, Scalia, and Alito will (continue to) argue this kind of a decision must take place in Congress or the state legislatures. They will (continue to) argue the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment was never envisioned by the framers to mean marriage equality. They are not bound, and no juror at that level is, by the law. They are free to state their own opinion as law. It may not be right, but that's what in fact happens.

5. David21201

We were talking about the court system and recent/upcoming trials. My ex and I are watching this one, after being called liberals and fags...While the rest of the fucking rednecks do stuff on gun control.

I'm guessing it'd may pass, but I'm not going to state my opinion and just wait for the ruling.

6. Foz

Foz Guest

Well after seeing this a few weeks ago it wouldn't surprise me if it fails.

[YOUTUBE]8C0weq6CzqM[/YOUTUBE]

7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is giving me some anxiety.

8. Randall D

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I still believe there is a very good chance of a 9 to 0 ruling in favor.
    And yes, that unanimous decision will be a shock, even more so than what it means across the nation.
    But I have my reasons for this prediction. We shall see.

So, after this passes the GOP will have only two choices to calm the masses of outrage.
    One, the promise of a Constitutional Amendment by every republican presidential hopeful, and second, further legal actions pressing state religion freedom laws.
    Well the constitutional amendment will fail because Hillary will be the president.
    And religious freedom laws will lose steam as state businesses highly object to such actions.

On a side note, I read that the GOP were in Iowa for their Iowa Faith & Freedom Coalition thing, and pushed this idea of traditional marriage.
    I had to laugh since in Iowa, SS marriage "is" traditional marriage.
    Has been ever since 2009.
    Duh.

9. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This has been giving me anxiety, even though I'm thirteen and not getting married anytime soon...I really hope they rule in favor of same-sex marriages! In my class, people were talking about it and I got really upset...I hope our "free" country will be in favor of it...