1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Nigel Farage wants to make religous exceptions

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by antibinary, May 3, 2015.

1. antibinary

2. I'm_Danni_x

:facepalm: I'm so sick of this! I'm from a Muslim family and these type of attitudes make me feel sick to the stomach. I really can't wait until queer people are accepted by people of all different faiths/beliefs. People need to stop having a say in someone else's life if it doesn't affect them in any way.

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When he was asked to give a specific example of what would constitute reasonable application of UKIP's conscience clause he flatly refused to answer and described it as a "tiddly little bit" of their manifesto and a distraction from the UK's bigger issues.

So there you have it folks, LGBT rights are not sufficiently important to Farage to provide a definitive answer. Furthermore, one of his UKIP cronies in the Yorkshire region didn't know what an LGBT person was.

4. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Farage is a very clever politician, who knows exactly how far to go in making outrageous statements so as to motivate his core vote. I doubt he actually believes half of it himself.

5. randomly me

randomly me Guest

Yes because all Christians and Muslims are homophobic and just waited for someone to defend their right to be so.-.-

Seriously?don't speak for people without asking what they actually want first.And don't generalize for groups that are that large.duh.

6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In a nice, left-wing country like the UK, how is an American-style Tea Partier taken seriously?

7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately, our two main parties have become fixated with grabbing votes from the centre ground and it's left room for the more extremist elements, like UKIP to prosper. David Cameron doesn't think UKIP will win a seat in Thursday's election.. I think David Cameron is deluded.

8. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For the same reason the Swedish Democrats - a party founded on right-wing populism, anti-immigration, nationalism and opposes the 'Homosex Lobby' - manages to get 13% of the vote in Sweden, despite Sweden being a very left-leaning country.

Voter disillusion with the main parties partly contributes - but most people here live under the belief that immigration is 'out of control' and needs to be curtailed - so that's another reason why more people are opting to vote for UKIP - and also contributes to the rise of the far-right throughout Europe - whether it's the Front National in France, True Finns in Finland, Party for Freedom in the Netherlands or the Danish People's Party in Denmark.

#8 imnotreallysure, May 3, 2015
    Last edited: May 3, 2015
  9. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's been well-documented that there are several areas in the UK where Muslims patrol the area and enforce Sharia law. It may be harassing those who "appear to be homosexual" or women wearing short skirts. I can completely understand how people would be against immigration there. Doesn't mean I would vote for Farage if I lived there though.

10. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No Go Zones are fake. snopes.com: Sharia Law Muslim 'No-Go' Zones

Anyways, it must be a cold, cold day in hell when Nigel Farage tries to pander to the Muslim vote. I honestly don't think UKIP will win a seat, although I do think Labour and the Lib Dems will make a coalition majority.

11. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nope. This goes on in a lot of areas.

[YOUTUBE]E9L_zEZflFQ[/YOUTUBE]

12. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    David Cameron himself laughed at that quote from none other than right-wing fanatic Bryan Fischer, who works for the AFA. He was also the one that said Muslims in Dearborn had taken over the entire state of Michigan.

13. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never said it went on in Dearborn. It does go on elsewhere in the world though.

14. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They are not non-Muslim 'no-go' areas - and they do not run amok enforcing their own version of the law. What they are doing is considered harassment, in some cases it can be considered assault, a violent crime, and they don't get away with it. Plus, it is not going on in 'a lot' of areas - I've certainly never seen it, and I spend a lot of time in Muslim-majority areas.

It's just another case of the right-wing press blowing something minor completely out of proportion.

Anyway, as for UKIP winning seats - I actually think they will, but 3 or 4 at most. I think a Labour-SNP coalition is more likely than a Labour-Lib Dem coalition. I'm not a fan of the SNP but I'd probably support it if it means Ed Milliband is our Prime Minster for the next 5 years. I've heard some people talking about a Tory-Lib-DUP-UKIP coalition - what a horrendous thought.

One positive out of all of this though is that it should give our political system the shake up it so desperately needs. For once we're talking about a large range of parties actively involved in government, rather than just two or three. All political parties bar two in the UK support Proportional Representation in favour of FPTP - only the Tories and the BNP oppose.

#14 imnotreallysure, May 3, 2015
  15. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This.

Every single time a pundit or politico makes a claim about no go zones being in force in Britain it makes the news over here, and we all come together in the spirit of Saint David of Cameron's Big Society so that we can point and laugh at how stupid they are.

We do have the odd problem with Sharia patrols, but these end with the perpetrators having their collars felt. This no go zone myth is just something right wingers in the States have created to scare people who don't know any better while further demonising Muslims.

When Boris Johnson calls you out on your idiocy - “Complete nonsense”: London mayor slams Bobby Jindal’s Islamophobic “no-go zones” claim - Salon.com - that's when it's time to stop.

EDIT: And as for Farage's "idea", it's not going to happen unless we end up with a DUP/UKIP government. No mainstream political party in this country is going to sign up for legalised discrimination whether it be in majority government or coalition. I think even the Conservatives that want the party to be the nasty party/Diet UKIP again realise just how poisonous it would be. I think Farage is looking for a significant social conservative block vote that's just not there though.

I don't think it'll lose him votes (it's gotten barely any attention outside of Pink News et al from what I can tell), but it's not a vote winner either.

#15 GeeLee, May 3, 2015
  16. Hatsune Miku

was Fischer the guy who said there's an ISIS camp in Texas or am I confusing him with someone else

17. antibinary

The reason UKIP are getting votes is because UKIP got press for people to laugh at them, then people became disillusioned with lib/lab/tory and looked for someone else and UKIP capitalised on the nationalism that's spreading like a cold in Brittan.

18. lemons123

I won't be surprised if the clown becomes PM of the UK some day. Probably not tomorrow but in say 10 years or so. Either him or Paul Nut-tall.

19. LiquidSwords

Not possible

[YOUTUBE]tKEsyIuTrO8[/YOUTUBE]

20. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I lived in the US, I got fed up with Americans telling me that Europe in general, and the UK in particular, were over run with Muslims, and they would be in control soon. When I said that that didn't coincide with my experience, I would often as not be told that I must be mistaken. Of course, being British, and living in Britain all my life pretty much, how could I possibly know Britain as well as an American who had never left the States?