1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News ‘Eric Sheppard challenge’: U.S. flag stomped on for wanted college student

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by WolfyFluff, May 3, 2015.

1. WolfyFluff

WolfyFluff Guest

Washington Times

'Eric Sheppard challenge': U.S. flag stomped on for wanted student, self-proclaimed terrorist - Washington Times

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't like the way our country is? You've got options: do your part to change it, quit complaining and deal with it, or take a hike. I've got no sympathy for people who crap on the country that made their life--doesn't matter which one.

And if Sheppard himself is a self-proclaimed terrorist, well, he's gonna have a bad time.

3. Aldrick

Just FYI, the Washington Times is a conservative newspaper--like the equivalent of Fox News in print. You really can't trust what you read in it. Right off the bat, they are using the Blaze as a reference, and that's run by Glenn Beck.

Don't confuse the Washington Times with the Washington Post--they are two very different newspapers. One is a mainstream news paper (the Post) and the other is a conservative rag (the Times).

4. WolfyFluff

WolfyFluff Guest

Oh. I didn't know that. Thanks for informing me.

5. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Does it matter the source provided that this story has been validated outside of this one? I think it is everyone's free speech and within their right to burn or desecrate the flag.

That said, the Black Panthers are a hate group. It is reverse-racism. Unfortunately, those in the liberal media fail to talk about them because they don't want Al and Jesse to get butt hurt.

6. Aldrick

No problem, I figured you didn't know. :slight_smile:

It does matter. Just because a story takes certain facts that may or may not have happened, does not mean it portrays those facts accurately. If you take the facts of a story and slant them toward a political agenda, then you are trying to manipulate the opinions and minds of your readers. That's quite different than when a news organization is simply trying to report the news.

It also matters what you elevate to being newsworthy. For example, I just did a Google News search on "Eric Sheppard challenge" and the only news websites that showed up were conservative. This shows that no one in the mainstream media is reporting on this incident.

So, I decided to find this "viral video" of this woman named Erica Walker stepping on the flag. I couldn't find it on YouTube, but instead could only find people (obviously conservative and pissed) talking about it and playing clips from it. You'd think a viral video receiving millions of hits would be the first thing to pop up, but all I got was conservative after conservative bitching about someone pissed at America. That's nothing new.

However, in the list I did find something about this guy named Eric Sheppard. Here he is speaking for himself:

[YOUTUBE]RJHXoCAZkis[/YOUTUBE]

He doesn't seem all that dangerous to me. He's basically rehashing the same stuff Malcolm X spoke about before he was born.

As for him bringing a gun to a rally, I find it funny that conservatives would even have a problem with that. They are the ones pushing to roll back gun regulation across the country, and make it easier to carry a gun anywhere and everywhere--including into bars where people are drinking and schools.

For example, take a look here at this story.

As that story illustrates, there is a white man walking around with an assault weapon strapped to him to protest Texas' open carry regulation regarding handguns. Notice how the media reports on him carrying around an assault weapon, as compared to a black man allegedly carrying any weapon.

Or how about this fun little story: 8 White People Who Pointed Guns At Police Officers and Managed Not to Get Killed.

It's funny how some people react to white men with weapons as compared to even the merest hint that a black man MIGHT, JUST MAYBE, have a weapon, isn't it?

In my view, a lot of the problems around racism and the police would be solved if every black man and woman were armed like all the southern white rednecks that I know. I imagine police would certainly be more respectful then, after all--they can't shoot them all, and when they're armed to the teeth they can shoot back.

That's what the second amendment exists for anyway: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

It's funny how Second Amendment advocates always forget the entire first two parts, and focus only on the last. That's what Thomas Jefferson had in mind: "What country before ever existed a century & a half without a rebellion? & what country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon & pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure."

Of course, I doubt he would have felt the same had his slaves taken his advice. So, I guess you could argue there has always been a double standard. :icon_wink

7. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I take it I'm the only one who is offended by people giving a bigger shit about a piece of fabric than the lives that were (and still are) cut short by the police. Someone I knew was trying to defend that statement, which I found more insulting, as he tried to defend the police in killing Eric Garner and Mike Brown. It's mind boggling that this is even an issue.

Also, reverse racism doesn't exist. There has never been a point in history where white people were enslaved, persecuted, or discriminated simply because they were white; unlike what we've done to people who are POC. And telling people "if you don't like America, just fuckin' leave" doesn't do a thing either, but reinforces the problem; sweeping the problem under the rug. How about instead of telling people to either get over it or leave, you understand why things are they way they are.

Understand that we aren't a post-racist society just because MLK made his "I have a dream" speech. That just because suffrage happened, women are still treated less than men. The systems in place still have power over people, and you might not be able to understand why if you're a white male, especially one who is straight, cisgender and a Christian. As a white (passing) male, I do my best to acknowledge that I have privileges that other people don't even though I am a transgender person. I have more job opportunities than someone who is POC. I'm less likely to face more jail time over certain charges. I'm less likely to be randomly frisked by the police. I'm less likely to be followed around stores by staff because they think I'm shoplifting. Just because someone who is POC is critical of you, it doesn't at all mean you experienced """reverse racism""". That's not how it works. It's like Christians who say they're being persecuted when they're told creationism isn't allowed in schools or when a gay couple gets married. It's horse shit.

So instead of telling people to leave if they don't like how ass backwards things are, why don't you be part of the change to fix if you don't want to acknowledge that by saying that, you're part of the problem. And if you really want to be technically, I take it you really have no idea how hard it is to gain citizenship in another country. How fucking difficult it is to pass not only the citizenship test, but all the hoops you need to jump through; how time consuming it is, as well as expensive. I've thought about relocating to Canada because I'm getting sick and tired of knowing that in my country not only is it illegal to feed the homeless, but it seems like nobody gives a shit about the government sending drones off at other countries, killing hundreds of innocent civilians. How our nation is so absolutely fucking greedy that we'd rather give our money to bigoted organizations or building another stupid church than assist in doing a universal health care system, repair our nation's broken education system or anything beneficial.

tl;dr - Reverse racism doesn't exist, and telling people to leave the country because they know what's up and don't like how ass backwards the "justice" system is, you are part of the problem whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Right on, brother!

~ Adrienne

9. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just...why is this still an issue? Seriously, why?

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If this is directed at me, that's why I put the two less desirable options at the end. You're absolutely right. Ideally we can work with people negatively affected by serious issues here and come to an agreement. It's only if they would rather sit and say everything sucks that I'd give the old fallbacks. It's comparable to the Occupy movement-- every good intention, but no real plan or attempt at communication. Obviously I wouldn't tell them to get out, but then again they didn't disrespect the nation as a whole, just gave grievances to some groups.

Judging by the video he isn't quite a maniac. Ironically he's extremely well spoken compared to some of the people with inflammatory opinions. I'd much rather talk to him than any random rioter in the news.

EDIT: That video makes me consider him much less harshly. I'd still be wary of his "terrorist" claim if it's true, but he stepped on the flag for understandable reasons. He doesn't see it the same way I do; I'll give him that much at least. Although he's safer under the US flag than under a Confederate one.

#10 Argentwing, May 3, 2015
    Last edited: May 3, 2015
  11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's an issue because a lot of Americans are malicious and have contemptible priorities. And honestly, I'm not sure what to do about that.

12. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some people would rather riot and behave like the Black Panthers instead of emulating MLK. That is indeed the problem.

13. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With how things are, it's going to be a very long time until we see a real change, probably not even within my lifetime or that of my future kids. Like I said, I know of people who think the cops who killed Eric Garner, Mike Brown, and even Tamir Rice did the right thing and their deaths were justifiable. There's something really, really wrong with things if people don't see something wrong with the killings of Ervin Edwards (who was tased to death in a jail cell over having sagging pants) or Freddie Grey (who had his spine severed).

As for the rioters, I'm on their side with things. When the people are being mistreated, and the people who are supposed to protect you are murdering others and violating their liberties because they can, I'm sure you'd riot as well; especially with a lot of the officer who commit these acts walking away free. Never forget that Darren Wilson never faced charges for killing Mike Brown and made so much money from people on gofundme that he'll never have to work a day in his life ever again. I'm sure if your kid was in the shoes of one of these dead kids, you'd have a reason to be pissed off too.

To quote MLK, since you bring him up:

“It is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard.

14. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And why do you think that is? The far left media is afraid of Al and Jesse. Proved my point.

15. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No positive social change has ever occurred without coercion.

So while rioting is not the answer, I would argue that pure peaceful protest is a spectacularly shitty way to go as well.

Peaceful protest only works when the surrounding community actually cares about you on a human level, which is fundamentally not the case.

16. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The flag symbolizes the ideals of America -- such as freedom and equality. It seems odd they would want to stop on something that represents those ideals. Unless you wish to rebell against the nation as a whole and start a revolution to overturn the government, then I don't see why you would do such a thing anyways. If you don't like America you can go out and fight to make positive changes rather than hurt your cause by pitting yourself against America. And if you really hate it so much and think America is irreparable, you can leave...

17. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The irony rests in how not everyone is equal in America to begin with.

18. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Also if freedom is an American ideal, why do so many Americans cherish their ability to control others?

19. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But with the flag, why is it that someone stepping on it is offensive, but nobody is ever in an uproar over it being draped over someone's filthy or dirty car or it being worn as a bikini or thong in someone's ass crack?

20. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because ideals are not necessarily realities?

And that's due to intent and interpretation. People who wear it as a bikini are likely trying to be patriotic (yes, I know...), which isn't the same as burning it. And people also interpret it that way.