1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equality moving forward in Australia

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by beckyg, Nov 25, 2008.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  2. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Woop Woop!
    :grin::grin::grin:

3. RENThead

its progress... but kind of a slap in the face...

just before the last election (november 2007) the labour party were saying how they were all for gay rights, (i dunno if everywhere, but in queensland it was a big thing)

so now the labour party is in charge, they completely forget about it, then say, no, marriage is only between a man and a woman - nothing more.
    there was some remark made about it - i cant remember exactly - but some politition said something along the lines of - gay marriage will never be legal under this government...

sometimes i think we would be better with johny howard....
    i do love the saying kevin 07..... (something that rhimes with 7) kevin 08... not so great...

4. ArcusPuer

ummm ok with the whole marriage thing, under john howard they made the marriage ammendment which made it specically say that marriage was between a man and a woman.
    our lovely labour party backed the liberals and nationals, in fact pretty much everyone did except the greens and perhaps the democrats.

rudd is better than howard, but he is shifty methinks.

oh and i was like really excited coz i had signed a few of teh petitions that had helped to make this pass. GO ME! lol

oh and this was the first article on gay rights i have read in teh herald sun like ever, seriously they are homopobic i think coz they NEVER once reported on prop 8 or anything even remotely connected with gay rights except for that VFL coach who claims he was fired for being bi.

correct me if im wrong, i'd read the age but my parents get the sun and plus the age is far too big to read, its absolutely impractical!

the only politician i like now is Bob Brown, he is the shiznit!
    his response to these new rights was that we would never be equal until we could marry.

i think eventually gay marriage will be legal in states properly, but as stated. we are moving forward,

for those melbournians who dont know, there is a gay candidate in the mayoral election who is running, and i cant remember exactly but he is actuallyl quite high up, not just some random freedom fighter,

be awesome if we had a gay mayor!

ok im done now...

5. Danielle

Danielle Guest

Ok this will not happen under a Rudd government not many Labor MP's and almost no Libs and Nationals will and we can forget about Family First and One Nation.

The only major party that is for gay marriage is the Greens the Democrats are for gay marriage but they don't have a senate seat so they can't help and we have a fair few micro-parties (e.g Liberty and Democracy Party).

Thus the Greens are the only party in Australia that can actually do something for us the main reason I shall be voting Green in 2011.

6. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a good start.

7. hoping

I know its not what people want to hear but the fact is australia is incredibly intoleorent i mean i saw this report that said anti gay crime is getting more and more even in oxford street in sydney which is supposed to be incredibly gay friendly and 3 teenage boys were bashed unconcious by homophobes oustide a school in sydney.
    The nsw teachers union has said its the new crisis of the generation.
    The fact is and its proved by the fact that gay people are leaving the country, i read on www.glrl.org.au and and it was saying in this servey
    Out of 900 gay , lesbian and transdered people from nsw, act and victoria.
    52.8% have been subject to harrasment or descrimination in their current workplace.
    50.3% have been ridculed or or made homophobic remarks about.
    28.3% have been subjected to agressive or inappropriate questions about their status.
    21.7% have been outed in the workplace against their wishes.
    11.3% have been subjected to verbal abuse, inclusing threats of violence or sexual abuse
    Over 17% have felt their careers have been restricted because of their homosexuality.

Even though its only 900 people it still gives you a look into the situation.
    The rudd government made a promise at the lasy election to keep chruch and state sperate and yet he has listen to radical right groups including a group called exclusive breathern that is pretty much a cult that destroys familys for its radical agenda.
    It just seems like its getting so much harder to be heard in australia when the only time we ever hear about gays is when some smart arse clelbrity decides that we arent worth anything and gives us and slur or tow i mean look at sam newman the guy from victoria, the radio hosts alan jones who said gay teens have no right to be proud of who they are if they are gay cause they are sick and influenced by the radical gay agenda. and there is so much more i could write.