1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to tell my godbrother about gay marriage?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by ElizabethAnne, Nov 25, 2008.

1. ElizabethAnne

Hi Guys,
    Just wanted to ask your opinion on something.
    After the passage of Prop 8 in California, I put up something on Facebook about how sad I was (most of the people on FB think I'm straight). My VERY Christian godbrother responded, telling me how I was wrong. Now I have my own ideas as to what to tell him, but I wanted to ask you guys in case you could come up with something stronger and more convincing. Keep in mind, he's VERY Christian, and he's been literally raised in the church (they attend ~3-5 times a week). He's been homeschooled and he doesn't have any non-Christian friends. I'm saying this because what he's said is really quite offensive, but in reality, I think he's just ignorant, and hasn't been exposed to other viewpoints. I want to tell him that being gay is okay, without telling him I'm dating a girl, or else, he'll just turn off everything I'm saying as "I'm a sinner who is going to hell" and don't have anything intelligent to contribute to the subject. After looking at his post, I've decided that it is much too offensive to post here, but I'll summarize it. I guess that it's really a theological argument, so it might not be that entertaining for some people.

His whole thing is that gay marriage is not proper marriage, because "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh" and because God values heterosexual marriage, and that it is a parallel to God and the Church, where God is the bridegroom and the Church is the bride (sorry about the abstract theology of this one, but really, I've heard lots of my Christian family, and people in my church use this one). Also that gay marriage is asking for special privileges since it is changing marriage to suit ourselves.

2. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Perhaps showing him Keith Olbermann's monologue about Prop 8 would have some influence. You can find it all over YouTube, but I don't know if the rants of a liberal commentator would completely swing your brother around. Really, don't put too much work into this. Sometimes people are too far in the hole to dig them out, even with common sense and reason.

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Probably nothing will change his mind until you yourself come out. Some people are just so deeply rooted into their religion that it really takes a big bolt of reality to face the truth. People are gay and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

4. ElizabethAnne

Wander,
    Yeah, I guess. It's just that he's so young, and he's in exactly the same position that I was in five years ago - the brainwashing, the fear. You're probably right that there's nothing that can be done, but I wish there was, if just to give a balanced perspective on this matter.

Becky,
    Really, though, I'm so worried, since my godparents are so strict and firm. I'm worried they will label me as "sinful", and won't want to talk to me any more.

5. Astaroth

From what you said several times, his message to you was 'very offensive' and obviously stirred up enough emotions that you posted this here, so here's my advice. If he is being so offensive, you have every right to be DEfensive of your opinion. You certainly don't have to bow to his ill-informed opinion simply because you're afraid he might hate you, although if you choose to that's your choice. I've found that it usually hurts you a lot more when you go along with bigotry than to stand up against it in some form or fashion. You don't have to come out to him if you don't want to, but you can certainly point out that this will not be the first time marriage has been 'changed for other people's benefit.' Originally, marriage was a lifelong vow that could not be dissolved except by death itself, thus the vow 'til death we part.' We changed it to allow divorce. Then we changed it to allow slaves to marry other slaves. Then we changed it to allow races to intermarry. So for him to say that this has ANYTHING to do with him is absurd. If he doesn't like gay marriage.... then don't get one. But to state that marriage is a religious institution is ludicrous, and therefore his religions beliefs should have no power over the practice of marriage as a civil institution at all.

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Love is the most powerful emotion there is. I'm sure your godparents love you and they deserve to know the truth about you.

7. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Astaroth is so right. You know divorce all dates back to Henry the eighth. In a nutshell Britain was under the Catholic church, which forbade any kind of divorce (a reason why he decapitated a couple of wives...that and boredom I would assume!). So instead of fighting the church he stuck two fingers up and said, "well I'm king I can do what I like so I'll invent my own denomination"...Church of England, otherwise known as the protestants or Anglican church. This denomination allowed divorce...its now one of the largest christian branch in the world. Things change and the world adapts. Your godbrother is naive and I hope one day he will learn to be more open minded. My family is very much exactly like that unfortunately, which explains my "coming out" hesitancy.

8. kramer362

Tell him marriage has existed and continues to exist outside of christianity. Then ask him why he doesn't try to control non-christians from marrying. Muslims and atheists can get married even though being either is a sin listed in the Ten Commandments (homosexuality is not).

You could also point out that whole silly 'separation of church and state" clause in the U.S. Constitution.

AND...
    Marriage is always progressing and in no way is the current state of marriage even traditional. "Traditional" marriage would be a father trading his teenage daughter to an older man in exchange for property or something, but it is no longer that. Eventually in our culture it became an institution and ceremony for people who love each other, regardless of religion or what each one's parents thought (at least in America), so why so many Christians are hanging onto hetero only marriage I don't know. This notion of preserving the current state of marriage as traditional is absurd and delusional.

9. Amy

Amy

Make sure you do not comeout unless you feel comfortable with it. Do NOT make a despret attempt and end up maing it worse. Trust me, it is not fun.

Show him the Keith Olbermann video. It is pretty much common sense, at least to Wander and I.

Talk to him about why /you/ think it isn't wrong, not why we don't. It'll seem so much more important if it seems like something you would say.

Good luck and tell us how it goes!

10. Oh man... I love these. I used to get into these sorts of things all the freaking time.

What I usually do is either make myself appear hopeless by proclaiming what a liberal commy I am or pretend to agree with them. Latter is safer, former is much more fun and the one that I usually go with.

Either way, there's a good chance that they'll just leave you alone. I've used the hopeless technique on not only my extended family but also an entire Christian school.

11. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Most christian denominations don't even recognize straight civil marriages because they are not held in a religious ceremony or with church blessing. That's why it's so absurd for them to get so angry about the government allowing marriages for gay people that they don't even recognize for straight people. It's a really stupid double standard. If they want to really hold up their beliefs, they should be protesting all government marriages not just gay ones.

Now, if gay marriage was suddenly introduced in their church, then I could understand why they would be mad, but being mad about a ceremony that they don't recognize in the first place is just ridiculous. It truly has nothing to do with them or their church, so why does it bother them so much?

#11 Leon481, Nov 28, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  12. crimsonarcher

if it's possible, then you could bring up the other things that are considered sinful, such as divorce and adultery- they're not illegal, yet they are considered sinful according to the Bible.

what I say to people sometimes(you can use it if you want): "Since one "sin" was banned from the people through the constitution, why not ban everything! after all, since it's bad in the Bible, make the Bible our state constitution and ban anything that's considered sinful. I mean, why not? The government pretty much crossed that line into our personal lives. It's possible."

Personally, I hope there's a proposition next year that bans cheating on your spouse or divorcing legally, because those are considered sinful, and since that was the reason behind prop 8, it can SOOOOO be done. Of course, that won't happen.

I hate the way things work. I thought everyone had the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; well, gay people in CA pretty much lost the last two.

Thomas Jefferson and James Madison are probably turning in their graves.

sorry, I just went on and on.

13. ElizabethAnne

Thanks very much to everyone who responded! I've written him back, although he has not replied. What I said was nonjudgmental, but I think that the reason he hasn't written back was because he doesn't know what to say in response! (Maybe, just maybe, because he saw that what I was saying made sense... :slight_smile: )

14. Greggers

I dont know if its too late to stick in my input but...

Just dont use any scripture, any comments about the bible, or anything like that. My entire family/friendbase is super mega conservative christian and the thing they hate most is using the bible against them. They get very protective and refuse to belive you can understand it better than them / at all. I agree with explaining it like Keith Oberman did (for the most part). Try and tell him that Church and State are seperate, and that in favor if equality, and human rights, you should give EQUAL (not more, not less) rights to all people, gender, race, or orientation aside. The church cannot interfere with state, and the government should not rule in favor of a religious view of marriage because of that. Try and convince him that if Gay Marriage was allowed, it would not affect him. A church cannot be forced to married, because that again is church and state interfering. Kids cannot be forced to go on a field tip to a lesbian wedding (like that "yes on 8" campaign blew out the water) because there are laws letting kids opt out of things like that already in place. Maybe close it with something powerful along the lines of:

"If your against Gay Marriage, your against Equality. Your against Women having the right to vote. Your against blacks marring whites. Your against freeing slaves. Your against our president-elect. Your against immigration. Your against all that America stands for."

Human Rights for ALL Humans!

15. crystaltriforce

point out how the bible says that slavery is ok, contradicts itself saying god loves us and killed those who didn't worship him in the old testament, and it staits that jesus preaches to love one another and to not judge.