1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Survey: Gay President vs Evangelical Christian President

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BMC77, May 7, 2015.

1. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    More Americans Are Comfortable With A Gay Presidential Candidate Than With An Evangelical One

---------- Post added 7th May 2015 at 01:21 AM ----------

Oops...title should have read "Presidential candidate" not "President" It's late here...

Still, interesting survey results...

2. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's good...

3. BisexualQueen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well in general people see Christians as hateful people. I don't see that way and I know it's not true for all Christians. (Trust me I am one) Look at people like Ted Cruz (a Christian presidential candidate for the Republican Party) he isn't very popular with the population.

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's a huge difference between mainline protestants, mainline Catholics, and Evangelicals. The first two (at least white mainline, Black and Latino demographics are more up in the air) both support marriage equality around the national average. Only like around 20% of Evangelicals do.

I can't say I'm really surprised by these poll numbers. Many Evangelicals are like a Mike Huckabee type.

5. BisexualQueen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Unfortunately, the only experiences I've had with the churches in my area have been negative towards the LBGT population. It's most likely because I come from the south and people are pretty homophobic down here. I agree there are mainline Protestants and Catholics who support equality, but you don't here a lot about those churches. You hear more about people like those in my area.

6. Foz

Foz Guest

OMG! Is this change happening in America?!

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's quite possible that change is occuring, but never underestimate the maliciousness of Americans, and never get more than cautiously optimistic.

8. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

ok, how about a female evangelical Christian Democrat vs a gay male Republican candidate...

Judge people by the content of their character... not who the sleep with, or what equipment they have......

9. Queero

Not knowing anything else about them as a person, I would be much more comfortable with someone that all I knew about them was that they were lgbt+, rather than all I know of someone is that they are Evangelical Christian.

10. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    The only reason I wouldn't be comfortable with an Evangelical president is because the odds are that they would be anti-gay and I'm just not going to vote for an anti-gay president, even if I agree with them on other issues. I won't vote for someone who believes my existence is "wrong".

11. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a rather hard time buying that. Think it would be a landslide win for the Christian - though an out gay candidate isn't going to be able to have a chance in running for president for at least a few decades, so the point is moot.

Hell, it's almost as bad as being an atheist!

12. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    how about a gay christian as president! That would be something. of course they have to believe in separation of church and state cause even though I am a christian I am big enough to admit this and that no belief should have power over this country. Many conservative christians say they are in a war against their beliefs while denying there are also christians who are now pro gay. It is sad, delusional and a divisive tactic thanks to the likes of Ted Cruz and Huckabee who think there is a such war.

13. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also I believe that 1,000 people wont give you a good sample. I bet if you expand the sampling and polling on this issue to a lot more than 1,000 people, then I bet a lot of numbers would change. I dunno... I feel as if this poll is inaccurate when being compared to the larger scale. It's nice to see a growing number of Americans feeling comfortable with a gay presidential candidate... but I feel that this poll only reflects the views of a small amount of people.

14. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I'd like to see a non-Chritian president, namely an Atheist, or maybe a Buddhist. I'm so tired of how all the presidents have to be Christian.

Plus, I think an Atheist would really crack down on all the ways in which evangelicals bend the rules, and cross the lines between the separation of church and state. (tax-payer funded religious schools, crazy abortion restrictions, &c.)

I'd trust an atheist a lot more to also follow science, and not do things like deny climate change, and even go so far as to make to so it can't even be discussed...which conservative have already done. I want a person who can look around, and see the rate of species extinction, and take action, and not just worship God and The $$$$.

So I'd like a president who respects science, reveres the arts, and doesn't have all this moral, religious baggage.

15. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Well in all fairness there are christians who believe in separation of church and state and I think that would be a president who is fair to both christians and atheists and other groups. See when you have a country filled with many diverse beliefs I believe it is unconstitutional for one belief to have the rule of law and there many politicians mostly democrats who while they have strong religious beliefs don't base those on how to run a government. They believe that their personal beliefs do not and should not affect government in an way. That is honest the best we are gonna get for now because a atheist president probably won't get elected. Besides what would you think if the situation was flipped around and Atheist president was hostile to christian beliefs. I am not implying you think this but making a point that we need a president that is respectful of all beliefs while not letting a certain belief affect the rule of law.

#15 dano218, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 7, 2015
  16. Summer Rose

With contemporary context, this poll makes some sense; given that a majority who oppose gay rights are religious (mostly christian of some denomination), it would seem a bit dangerous to elect someone who might try to reverse all the policies so far.

Problems arise when you realize that there is little context outside of this first-name basis; these two things aren't at odds with each other. While it isn't necessary for them to be at odds, it makes the argument a bit more faulty: you can have a conservative gay president or a liberal christian.

Would you prefer to be friends with a Boxer or a Bookworm? That's the level of context here.

17. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If I was president I would be both, so....... :dry:

18. Jolly Roger

I'm glad that this change is happening in America, it's about time we get a bit more separation between church and state. However, I don't want to see people start hating Christians, I'm fine with really any religion if they aren't extreme and they don't impose their dogma on others. But I don't believe Christians have to worry about anyone discriminating against them for quite some time.

19. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually seeing your views on here I would vote for you seriously!

20. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have zero party affiliation(maybe libertarian but not entirely), so I would have no chance. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: