1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Anti-Discrimination laws in Greece (woo!)

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Images and Words, May 7, 2015.

1. Images and Words

Greece hasn't been fantastic on it's LGBTQ+ acceptance in the past, however, in late 2014 (I took a while to pick up on this) It is now completely ILLEGAL to discriminate against people who are not only lesbian and gay (which has been in place since 2005) but now also people who are trans, as well as all over the spectrum, such as pansexuals and asexuals!
    Ευχαριστώ, Ελλάδα!

2. MetalRice

That's great!

3. Foz

Foz Guest

I think Greece has bigger problems that LGBT rights! They are a pretty slow country to react to anything, it was only in 2004 that cremation was legalised (they have a chronic grave shortage problem whereby families have to lease plots and the cost to buy one can be upwards of £100k!) but there is still not a single crematorium in the country.

4. Images and Words

Well, I guess some of the MPs think differently, although the country is well-and-truly down the shitter, I still think it's good that they are doing some things to make their LGBTQ+ population feel safe

5. nohalos

Yay, Greece! Greece.... Witherspoon!

That was a bad joke. I'm gonna get out. [​IMG]

6. Images and Words

:roflmao:

7. lemons123

Hmm interesting...they're considered the "fat, curly-haired neighbors" of my country :rolle:.

With that being said: there are a couple of things I actually like about them, but their current pro-communistic, pro-russian stance isn't one of them. I'd be happy if they leave the EU while at the same time refrain from making any russian alliances...

8. Images and Words

No comment about how all of the greek guys I know (yeah, all 5 of them) aren't fat

9. lemons123

I am not saying it's true...it's just the typical hate between neighboring countries.
    I won't be shocked if obesity levels over there are actually low...

But:
    Not to mention their habit to smoke Marlboro 0_0(not srs again).

10. Images and Words

I know you were joking :lol: the smoking marlboro thing is surprisingly true, though :lol:

11. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This is great. Now if they can get that civil union law passed, I'd be even happier.

Btw, the Marlboro thing is the truest of the true, sadly.

My fear is that if Greece leaves the EU, they would have no choice but to depend on Russian support. Greece could easily fall under similar Russian homophobic laws if they do. Considering how Russia and Greece are dominated by the same religion, it wouldn't be too hard for Russia to push such an influence.

12. Images and Words

This is an issue I too see developing over time. My hope is that nothing happens of it, because of the fact that Syrizia is more communist than Russia is today, and as a result, they'll not do anything, simply based on political views