1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Something very cool about cops

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Pret Allez, May 9, 2015.

1. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What a great article!

I had never, but should definitely have considered this dimension. Obviously, a few cops are racist filth who need to starve on the streets, but many others are very cool, and would very much like white folks to stop reporting "suspicious activity."

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's cool.

It's important to remember that cops are humans. There are those who are racist/homophobic, but there are those who are nice people. We can't judge an entire group.

Nice article, Pret Allez.

3. CandyKing

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is not surprising.

4. Aldrick

People always seem to believe that prejudice and bigotry is explicit in nature. In other words, calling someone a racial or anti-gay slur, or trying to cause someone physical harm based on some immutable characteristic. That's just explicit prejudice and bigotry. This is easily understood and solved.

The real problem in society is implicit prejudice and bigotry. This is the problem that we see taking place here. This is all subconscious and it is based on the culture we are raised in, and thus if the culture tells you that black people are dangerous or thieves you are going to automatically have a higher suspicion of black people in those situations. The reverse is also true, and it can at times work in a persons favor, for example believing that someone who is wearing a cross or some other holy symbol is less likely to tell a lie or cheat you out of money.

The only way we get around this is to learn to catch ourselves in these types of situations. If you find yourself profiling someone, or having a negative thought about someone, it's important to stop yourself and ask why. Is it based off of evidence, or is it based off of some type of gut feeling or assumption that likely has its root in some characteristic about a person, such as their race?

Another thing that helps is to be aware of the stereotypes about various groups of people. If you are aware of the stereotypes, and you find yourself judging someone based on that stereotype, then you know you should be questioning your assumption with additional scrutiny.

Eventually, if you do this often enough, you start to do it automatically, and it allows you to fight back against culturally ingrained biases--allowing you some degree of control over your implicit prejudice and bigotry.

Here is an example of this at work:
    [YOUTUBE]nFbvBJULVnc[/YOUTUBE]

They don't even realize they are doing it, but it is clear for everyone watching it to see.

Here is another example of this at work:
    [YOUTUBE]tkpUyB2xgTM[/YOUTUBE]

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That girl in the first video was a little ridiculous. Even in her story of the black girl saying "woo free money" she isn't a thief for wanting to pick it up, and how could she not go back on that first interpretation when only the races were switched? Methinks she is not a very good view of the average, or I have an inaccurate opinion of the average racism of a person. :/

In that second one though, wow. Some very surprising answers.

6. Gen

Gen

Here's the thing:

Authorities who acknowledge social injustice; Men who acknowledge misogyny; Caucasian people who acknowledge racism; Light skinned people across all races who acknowledge colorism; Heterosexual people who acknowledge homophobia; Cisgender people who are acknowledge transphobia; Upper and middle class people who acknowledge classism; etc. None of these people are therefore remarkable. None of these people are inherently good. None of these people are suddenly saints. None of these people especially cool as a result. They can most certainly be wonderful, cool, remarkable, good people for an endless amount of others reasons; however, lacking hate is not one of them.

Understand that I am not coming for anyone in this thread. I completely understand the sentiment that is being expressed and is commonly expressed in these situations. It is simply that I find this idea of romanticizing those who do not actively victimize or hold prejudice against marginalized groups, minorities, or others in general to be extremely problematic. You are not a good person because you don't enact violence. You are not remarkable because you don't hurl hate. You are not brilliant because you are aware of social inequalities. Basic social awareness and critical thinking can open your eyes to these things. Basic morals should be able to prevent you from persecuting or preying on others. This dichotomy of Good and Bad people is the central cause behind why we have more people today that are concerned with being labeled racist, sexist, bigoted, homophobic, etc, rather than actually working towards any growth in themselves or the rest of society.

I might scold those who hits me, but I will refuse commend those who don't.

7. Aldrick

I think you overestimate the subconscious level that this type of implicit prejudice happens under. Culture to us is invisible, but our every thought and action is shaped by it. Even if she realized what she had said and done by the time she saw the second image, and was confronted with the second scenario, she would have to overcome her cognitive bias to realize what she had done. It's very easy for someone, when confronted with this situation, to rationalize it away in their own minds. Even though to us, as outside observers, it is very clear and obvious that she is engaging in racial profiling based on stereotypes.

Something that might have gone through her mind, had she realized it: "Well, there was something about the other one. She looked sort of excited, like she was going to take the money. This one, though, she looks concerned. So, that's why I think she's going to give it back."

This type of situation crops up with cops all the time when it comes to race. "It looked like he was about to lunge toward me." "I saw him reach into his pocket, and I thought he was going to pull out a gun."

What she did was identical to what this cop did here.
    [YOUTUBE]-XFYTtgZAlE[/YOUTUBE]

There were two ways to view that situation. Either he was trying to comply with the order given, or he was reaching for a weapon. The cop decided that he was reaching for a weapon and open fired. This is how implicit racial prejudice and discrimination impacts policing.

It's also important to note that implicit racial prejudice is not something that just impacts people who are white. Just like internalized anti-gay bigotry in gay people, black people can also internalize racist thoughts and messages. You see that most clearly in the second video that I posted. This is important to understand, because some people mistakenly believe that if only there were more black cops, then this would solve a lot of problems. The problem is that everyone is raised in the same racist culture.

The only way this problem gets solved is by completely re-thinking the way we handle policing from the bottom up and the top down. There is no real special class you can take to make it better, no amount of sensitivity training that can be done, because the problem isn't just with the police it's with the culture as a whole and all the systems and institutions within it. The police are just one of those institutions.

---------- Post added 10th May 2015 at 03:36 AM ----------

This was my initial reaction to the thread as well. The first thought that came to my mind was this image:

[​IMG]

(This image always makes me throw up a little bit in my mouth. Especially when you understand the story behind both the cop and the kid in the image, and how the media just lapped it up.)

Then I read the story and decided that my response was more appropriate based on its content. Since the cops were essentially (rightfully) calling out the general public, and it is extremely important to hold everyone accountable for their actions. If we are just blaming the police, it lets the people making the racially profiling calls off the hook.

But like you said, that doesn't mean we pat the police on the back for NOT being racists. That should be the default position for everyone.