1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Gay marriage is 'economic sense' say Australian firms

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Foz, May 9, 2015.

1. Foz

Foz Guest

2. PurpleGrey

Has anyone else been thinking this the whole time?

3. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure about other countries, but in the Netherlands you can actually marry for free. :lol:

4. LiquidSwords

The economic argument speaks more to right wingers than the compassion one haha

5. Manitoban

Government likes to tax it here. Allows them to "hide" the real tax amount. Otherwise our tax adverse populace would freak out.

6. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Economic arguments are always easier to digest--they seem more urgent too. When all else fails, argue for it on economic means. Same goes for legalization of marijuana.

7. Foz

Foz Guest

It's always easy to quantify, you can give numbers which are absolute. But the rest of the argument is very much opinion based, a sprinkle of bible verses and you have a shitstorm!

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually I think LiquidSwords raises an excellent point. It's lamentable that economic arguments have more sway than moral ones. If that's indeed true, then it means that those particular people care more (and far more) about money than they do about freedom of association or the suffering of others. I'm unclear about why people who prioritize things in this way are to be congratulated.

~ Adrienne

9. Manitoban

I would suggest that it's because they care about ones self and immediate family/friends.

We all(for the most part) look at child labour and wonder how that's allowed "over there." People don't want to think of the fact that their shoes, shirts, tv's all are so 'cheap' because of those child labourers. We conveniently forget that we're the cause due to our demand for lower prices goods.

Anyway my point being is people are selfish when it doesn't directly affect them. So here 'Gay marriage' which I'll probably make money. Vs. No gay marriage and no money... which do I pick?

And I'm definitely a culprit in bending my values to get personal gain. I think few people can say otherwise.

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's something Americans can get behind... Money! $$$ Even the hardest social conservatives will have a tough time refuting that one unless they pull out something about their values being worth more. We'll see about that though.