1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Thoughts about this?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Simple Thoughts, May 11, 2015.

1. Simple Thoughts

Saida Grundy, Boston University professor: White males a 'problem population' - Washington Times

Us White peeps are a "Problem Population" I suppose. As we all know if you're skin is white you're automatically the worst person alive. I'm sure when Martin Luther King said that whole "Content of Character" thing he meant to tack in "Unless they're white"

I don't really think this is any sort of Pervasive problem, and I imagine most people aren't like this, however, it is worth pointing out that a college is defending this type of thinking and in doing so are encouraging it as well.

Buuuuuuuuuuuut I'll let you all enjoy a lovely discussion about this

2. xylaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This woman is too derisive and biased to provide quality education for a diverse group of students. She's using free speech but for the wrong reasons; her statements are vicious and that does nothing but aggravates the real problem of racism and double standards seen here.
    I'm hoping she's kidding or at least using inflammatory ideas to convey a crucial point seeing as she is a sociology major. Her blatant contempt for white males is disgusting. The college's support all the more appalling. Her claim is too vague and so it feels like a stunt to me.
    If this really is her opinion, then discriminating a group merely for their sex and skin tone is unusually shallow and in no way educated.

3. Simple Thoughts

I agree. I have to imagine she's like a 1 in 1,000,000 kinda person ( if this isn't some sorta stunt ) but the college is setting a tone here that it's acceptable to have this viewpoint, and that's what really bothers me.

4. atoadaso

atoadaso Guest

I want to become this professor's best friend, tbqh.

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's quite unfortunate she chose to express those views. There have been in the past and continue to be many white male allies, whether on race, sexual orientation, or gender identity.

I think she would have been far more effective by getting white students to identify with anti-racist allies of the past, just as a feminist she'd be more effective in getting male studentes to identify with anti-sexist allies past and present.

#5 Pret Allez, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
  6. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Ugh, people like this are awful and should not be teaching. They just give credence to the argument that universities are "liberal brainwashing centers".

7. nohalos

"white masculinity is THE problem for America’s colleges"

[​IMG]

8. Gymskirtboy

Gymskirtboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Unfortunately news stories like these do nothing for how the rest of the world thinks of America in general. It scares me how many people I know have become so opinionated about Americans because of how its Government behaves on the world stage and stories like that. They have never set foot in the country and in reality know nothing of its people in general.

9. 741852963

She should absolutely not be in a teaching position.

With such a pronounced opinion on race, there is no way she could grade papers without demonstrating severe bias.

And the whole point re not spending money in white owned businesses on MLK day? Absolutely horrendous. Does she have proof that all these white small business owners are signed up members to the KKK or something?

I think it is wonderful that as a society the vast majority can go about our lives with no thought as to race - not caring about the race of our bosses, colleagues, store owners, shop assistants, public servants etc. If I go into a store the last thing I'd ever think or care about is whether the owner or the person serving me was a different skin colour to me - obviously there are idiots out there who might have an issue with things like this but that just baffles my brain. This woman seems to be trying to undo or discredit all the progress over the years

10. Simple Thoughts

"And the whole point re not spending money in white owned businesses on MLK day"

^

That right there...I bet MLK would be rolling over in his grave. The whole point of everything he did was to end racism, not get the wheel spinning in the opposite direction. She completely missed the point.

11. tscott

She is a new hire to the University of Boston. She is African-American. Her fields of study are anthropology and African-American studies. There should be no surprise in her position. In actuality, the only reason this is an issue is due to the fact she is African-American. If this was espoused by a white male professor such as Churchill out of the University of Colorado, or the Dr.'s Rabinowitz at Hamilton College this would be a non-issue. Is it still hateful...yes. The only difference is that we've added the speaker's race to the issue. This was espoused by our current president's minister, Jeremiah Wright. Saida Grundy had the temerity make her feelings known to the world via Twitter. Of course, the administration has to back find the convenient excuse that this is free-speech as this went out on her private Twitter account. However, the alumni are having none of it and are threatening to withhold donations. Major donors who object to a university's stance can exert tremendous pressure to instigate change, and, if not change, to have the administration marginalize that which offends. This sad display of bigotry proves to me Professor Grundy deserves to be terminated.

12. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Remember kids, Being a certain skin color automatically makes you a horrible person.

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Thaaaaaaat's white!

14. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm so lazy I didn't even read the article and I just assumed she was white. It didn't even enter my mind that she might be black. It does not change my opinion of her at all. She should still not be teaching if she is spouting views like that.

But for the most part "African American Studies", "Native American Studies", and other such fields amount to jokes in some universities. My sister took a class like that it consisted of almost nothing but complaining about white people.

15. Simple Thoughts

My understanding is that "Gender Studies" is pretty much the same. Won't commit, never attended a class, but dat's what I hear.

16. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Please don't generalize about gender studies. I took a course in it (which we called Women's Studies) and didn't feel like I was treated like the enemy (this was before I was out as genderqueer, so as far as everyone else was concerned, I was a cismale).

The class sucked for other reasons, (namely, I had to pretend that a certain major religion wasn't extremely problematic in order to get As and Bs on essays), but at no point were men in the class treated poorly either by the professor or the other students.

Nor did the Women's Studies department invite incindiary speakers to the campus.

~ Adrienne

17. CyclingFan

While we are at it, perhaps we could not generalize other cultural studies as well.

18. Simple Thoughts

I am gonna go out on a limb and say that you're referring to "Islam"?

Also...did the word 'privilege' or 'inersectionality theory' come up?