1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Federal Gov: No, Insurers Can't Deny Transgender Patients Preventive Care

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, May 11, 2015.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    More here

2. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't understand? If there is rationale behind not screening men for breast cancer, why should they screen trans females? Unless hormone therapy, etc, increases the incidence of breast cancer to a level equivalent that of cisgender women, which it very well might? If that is the case, then I don't see why it would even be an issue with insurance companies -- heath insurance providers provide screening in the first place because they'd rather pay to have a benign tumor removed than pay for malignant cancer treatment. It makes financial sense...

And "and genetic testing for people with certain histories of breast or ovarian cancers." -- wait, even after SRS, trans females don't have ovaries do they? Sounds like a waste of a test....?

3. AlamoCity

I, too, am confused. I would understand if it dealt with SRS and other transitioning procedures, but preventative health usually is done based on the individual patient's needs. Although, it usually is done based on cost-benefit analysis. Men don't usually get mammograms even if cismales can and do get breast cancer.

That said, it's good that a regulation puts more control in the personal doctor's assessment of what is usual, customary, and reasonable for a particular patient.