1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Half of LGB Americans Identify As Christian

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by yayforthelgbt, May 13, 2015.

1. yayforthelgbt

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hello guys ^_^ Haha this is my first time posting news. I don't think this has been posted before. Does this surprise you? It makes me happy that religious homophobia is decreasing since more LGB Americans feel happy calling themselves Christian/Religious and LGB.

More here: REPORT: Half of LGB Americans Identify As Christian | Advocate.com

2. Images and Words

It REALLY surprises me, considering... the bible

3. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is the greatest news I heard all day. Not everything as it seems more and more christians and christian churches are opening their hearts to lgbt people. They may be hard to find I even know that they are out there ready to embrace those who feel they are condemned by their local church or community. God is love.

4. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Well considering that 80% of Americans identify as Christians, it doesn't surprise that many LGBT people do. It's lower of course for obvious reasons, but the idea that "LGBT = atheist" is false. It's just unfortunate that many Christian communities are not receptive of LGBT people. A local Presbyterian congregation around here recently joined a new affiliation so they could get away from the current one's warming stance on gays. They wanted to be more conservative and more opposed to homosexuality. It's sad.

#4 TENNYSON, May 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015
  5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I'm curious how many are actually practicing, and how many just claim the Christian mantle. Nothing wrong with that, but it would put some perspective into these numbers.

Still, interesting...

6. tscott

The Bible is not a stumbling block with recent scholarship re: translations and interpretations. Also Jesus never said anything about being gay. If it were such a big deal don't you'd think he'd have said something? Then there's the issue of whether you need to interpret the Bible literally. The book is a living document. It has been used to justify terrible things and inspire great compassion and charity. If the Fundamentalists insist on a literal interpretation, they need to keep kosher, woman cannot wear red, women need to separated from the household when they've their period and wait to be ritually cleanse, stone their children for being disrespectful, avoid wearing gold (tough for some televangelist), and be sure their garments a made of only a single material. We've many allies in the mainstream protestant churches and other religions. So why should we be surprised.

7. Aldrick

This is sad news. The number of atheists needs to go up, so my dating pool increases.

I just did the math. This means that as of right now, not taking into account age, current relationship status, and other preferences and compatibility factors, there are an estimated 147,956 gay men available for me to date in the United States. This means that 147,956 is the high end for my dating pool, and in reality it is much smaller. :icon_sad:

It looks like I am going to have to start looking toward Europe, and maybe even Canada and South America for a man... I'm going to have to go international to increase my odds. ...and I'm probably going to have to be quite a bit less picky. :dry:

8. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well in all honestly i can hardly find a guy who is a christian to date because I won't date an atheist. So I have the same problem in that respect!

9. Aldrick

Not really. The size of your dating pool is 887,736 gay men (before taking into account age, current relationship status, and other preferences and compatibility factors). Your odds are much better than my own. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Plus, I'm probably much more picky than you. :icon_wink

10. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol but I hate when I accidentally message a guy and than I find out he is atheist. Now that is embarrassing. My problem i guess.

11. Aldrick

After learning this information, I am giving serious thought to doing what this woman did. It makes sense to me. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

[YOUTUBE]d6wG_sAdP0U[/YOUTUBE]

12. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I honestly don't have the patience to watch video lol

13. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is actually a curious finding. I'd like to see the demographics and the sample size of this study, as it directly contradicts other recent findings about the religiosity of all Americans.

14. CyclingFan

My favorites are the tattoos people have quoting the anti gay parts of Leviticus.

:roflmao:

15. Aldrick

I don't really find it shocking. LGBT Americans have had higher rates of atheists and non-believers than the general public for a long time. However, this was always driven by the fact that virtually every religious group in the United States was foam-at-the-mouth anti-gay. As the culture has started to shift, and more and more churches are walking away from their anti-gay stances toward pro-LGBT stances, fewer and fewer people are forced to question their faith. This means that, eventually, the number of non-believers and atheists in the LGBT community is going to match up with the general public.

So, this trend is likely to continue as time passes.

---------- Post added 13th May 2015 at 05:01 PM ----------

To bad they missed this part:
    Leviticus 19:28 "Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD."

I hope they enjoy burning in hell.

16. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What you said is very interesting, but I have to agree to disagree with what you think the trends will do. If the LGBT religiosity rises, it will only rise to about the level that straight Americans are, and then dive down with the rest of the population. Also, once more and more Millennial LGBTQ people start coming out, I see them becoming less involved with organised religion ("Unaffiliated" is the largest group among Millennials born in 1986-1996.)

17. Aldrick

I'm not sure we are in disagreement, as that is pretty much what I said. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

LGBT religiosity will rise to be comparable to straights, and follow straight trends accordingly. In other words, as more and more religious institutions go pro-LGBT, being LGBT will cease being an indicator of lack of religiosity.

The only reason the lack of religiosity in the LGBT community existed in the first place, was because of how hostile the religious community was toward us. Once that hostility is gone, there is no more reason for a LGBT person to leave behind or question their religion than a straight person.

18. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They don't have bars on church doors. This doesn't surprise me. The number may not be accurate, but I'd say it's at least 40%. These people (the respondents) actually have enough moxie to figure out that the so called disapproval is a manufactured interpretation and decided it's ok to identify as Christian, or even participate.

19. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with this. When it comes to organized religion at least the younger generations are ditching churches and keeping their beliefs a personal individual thing.

20. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with this. It was a reaction to a reaction that was perceived, and often accurate, about how various religious groups felt about the LGBT community.