1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Delay tactics slow Texas House on anti-gay marriage bill as key deadline looms

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, May 14, 2015.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    More here

2. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huh, I was wondering how this bill would 'work': You can't just choose to follow the Supreme Court on cases you agree with, and ignore those you don't.

Reading further: "An effort by Texas Republicans to defy the U.S. Supreme Court if gay marriage is legalized hung in limbo Thursday, as Democrats tried to run out the clock on a bill that would prohibit government employees from issuing wedding licenses to same-sex couples."

So the strategy is to go a step beyond all the other ways they've made it illegal, as if to be clever. And yet I doubt this would stand any chances of actually holding up on appeal; just another delay tactic, wasting time and money.

For all their fiscal-mindedness, it'd be curious to see how much the Republicans have spent or cost in court resources to try to stop gay marriage, and LGBT rights generally.

#2 HuskyPup, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
  3. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I really hope the clock runs out.