1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Transgender, GNC People amoug Most Affected by War on Terror's Biometrics Craze

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, May 14, 2015.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    More here

2. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That was a long article. What I got from it was: a guy made a snide comment. Newsworthy?

3. Im Hazel

Well, that's a snide comment that could be avoided. Do you know what dysphoria is like, Austin? Because it sucks. And a comment won't help, even if it's not meant to be offensive. We transgender people have a right to live our lives like anyone else, and so why should we be harassed for trying to be ourselves? This article may focus around one example, but it's a real problem. There is loads of casual transphobia in the world, and this is just another example.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That snide comment shows the ability that these machines have to out transgender people. Depending on where you are, this is a very dangerous possibility. There also is the fact that transgender people could be subjected to further searching because they are found d to be transgender.

5. AlamoCity

Has there been a follow-up on policies TSA policies? I saw the article is 3 years old.

6. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I am not being permissive of the rude comment. It shouldn't even be said. And no, I do not know what dysphoria is like (obviously), I imagine it sucks, but, while it sucks, I imagine it's healthy to come to terms with your circumstances and not hide them from yourself. If they remind him he was born a woman, so? You can't hide from the facts your entire life. The main issue is the malicious intent and ridicule, yes. It can happen in any instance. I've had people say rude comments about me for being gay... Yes, it's hurtful, unnecessary, sucks, and it shouldn't happen, but it happens to everyone at some point and it's the cross we bear. We shouldn't put up with it and I suppose it's good to have articles exposing incidents like these. However, this article seemed like a fairly minor incident. It sounded as if there was no direct confrontation and he just overheard them say something. It doesn't seem like a great example to use for a news article is what I'm saying. I feel we'd want something that garners more sympathy as a news story.

---------- Post added 15th May 2015 at 07:01 PM ----------

That's true. I didn't even know these machines exist until now. I haven't flown in probably 7-8 years and I didn't even know they exist. Are they always used? Sounds like a lot of ionizing radiation. These machines do have that ability but what do you suggest they do?

7. Ruthven

okay you need to seriously stop

don't speak on something on which you nothing about. you are not trans and you have no place to be sayin how trans people should deal with their bein trans/any issues surrounding bein trans

and "he was a born a woman" is transphobic and incorrect

8. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Calm down... I'm just saying, when you really understand that you're trans for a long time (as this person has), I'm assuming you come to terms with reality (which is you were in fact born in the wrong sexed body). It seems some people go into denial and run away from this fact, which does not seem healthy. I may be wrong. I only bring this up because someone implied (or at least I interpreted it that way) that reminding him he was born XX female could cause him dysphoria. I don't find that to be an intentional act of malevolence (reminding him of that); however, the comment itself was uncalled for and disrespectful. Although, it could be general confusion -- not everyone is as aware.

I don't know why you wish to silence me on this topic. I am free to speak about whatever I wish. Regardless of if I am trans or not, I have an opinion about the issue; formulating opinions about things, even if they doesn't directly concern us, is unavoidable. If you wish to better inform me on these issues, telling me to shut up will not help at all. It only closes the bridge of communication.

Anyways, I apologize; woman is an ambiguous word. I meant "female" as in born with XX chromosomes. If you took me saying "woman" to mean his gender, that was not my intent. It was meant to specify his sex at birth (which is fairly obvious given the context).

9. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The mistake is viewing dysphoria as something that can be overcome through acceptance. Dysphoria is an instinctive reaction to the fact that the your innate gender differs from that of your body. Transition allows us to create a stable identity and sense of self. For the first time we look in the mirror and see ourself. On the other hand, this self is still fragile and all it takes is a comment by an insensitive security guard to destabilize our identity and leave us shaken, confused and lost.

Here's a more indepth explanation using trauma theory: trauma happens when you lose something that was an important part of your self and identity. The effect is fragmentation of your sense of identity and the only way to cope is to fill in the holes left behind by making sense of the past or building up a new identity. The traumatic fragmentation of identity causes depersonalization and other severe problems. Dysphoria is pretty much life long trauma, our identities are always fragmented, we feel life long depersonalization and always feel lost and trapped. Transitioning is a way to bridge the gap between body and mind and dysphoria creates cracks in that bridge.

Yael

10. Ruthven

i stand by what i said. you as a cis person have no place to speak for how trans people should deal with bein trans

it extends to many things. when you are not part of a certain group, you really can't give in your input on how to deal with whatever when it is literally not valid, becuz you are not a part of the group and have not gone thru their experiences-- whether exterior from other people and/or internal

and i did not tell you to shut up. you can converse with trans people and learn and listen to us, but it does not give you a right to say certain things when you have not gone thru our experiences and are not even trans

11. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kay well I stand by what I said as well.