1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Gambian Dictator On LGBT People: ‘If You Do It Here, I Will Slit Your Throat’

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Aldrick, May 15, 2015.

1. Aldrick

Read the article here.

2. RainDreamer

I am not surprised, but I am still shocked nonetheless.

3. GwenTheWelshGal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It shocks me what some people say about us.

4. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  5. tscott

Such an asshat.

6. randomly me

randomly me Guest

Well at least he's direct about it.

7. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

What a terrible thing to say. :frowning2:

8. ZenMusic

My beloved, gorgeous Africa....stop letting pieces of human trash be your spokespeople.

9. 741852963

He has a long history of making such statements. Oh...and what is this:

[​IMG]

It is nice to see Obama taking LGBT rights seriously. I doubt he'd pose in a similar manner next to say, a KKK leader. But hey, its only gay people so its not that bad, eh?

#9 741852963, May 15, 2015
    Last edited: May 15, 2015
  10. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really find that jab at President Obama appropriate. He has helped the US and lobbied other countries cut financial aid to Gambia over their repeated human rights abuses. It's also his duty as the United States' main foreign policy negotiator to meet with and be cordial with leaders from every country, even those he does not like.

11. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed. When your a leader of country you have the unfortunate mandatory task of meeting with leaders whose polices you may disagree with. Politics is a complex thing you gotta be careful with what you and every step you make can cause a huge impact on everyone else. We may not like some of these leaders but sometimes it is more about the people in those countries we need to care about and sometimes that means associated ourselves with ruthless leaders. I am sure Obama is standing his ground no matter who he comes into contact with.

12. 741852963

You are right he has to meet with leaders, he is not obligated to shake hands with a dictator (i.e. someone who's leadership legitimacy is questionable) whilst grinning like a Cheshire cat or invite them to dinner parties. Let alone one with so much blood on his hands.

That is inappropriate. These people are monsters and posing in such a manner is an insult to all the people they have hurt. Obama (or his administration) most certainly should be making formal statements either preceding or following such meetings to reinforce that they do not condone their behaviour.

Now other Presidents and world leaders are equally guilty of granting too much civility to people who really don't deserve it (look at Blair with Gaddafi). But I think Obama is especially hypocritical due to the fact that he claims to be fully behind the push for gay rights.

Plus he is giving people respect who clearly are not reciprocating: Mugabe says of Obama’s gay rights push, ‘We ask, was he born out of homosexuality?’ - The Washington Post He should take a leaf out of Putin's book in his style of address by treating them cold and neutrally at best. He really needs to grow some balls on this.

---------- Post added 15th May 2015 at 12:03 PM ----------

My question on that though would be how would the people in those countries feel seeing their dictator having the red carpet rolled out for him, and being treated identical to any legitimate, democratically elected, head of state. How would they feel about having their suffering completely whitewashed over.

Treating these people civilly is wise (to avoid war and violence), but sucking up to them is absolutely disgusting.

13. MetalRice

The Gambian Dictator is a dick.

14. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The president is a very busy man and he doe not have the time for every little thing. I sure he had his honest reasons for what he has done and I would do more research before jumping on him. I trust his ability to lead, his intentions and his integrity even though we have slight disagreements on some things.

15. CyclingFan

He puts the dick in dictator.

16. 741852963

So he has the time for photo-ops and dinner parties with a known ruthless dictator but not to make a simple statement speaking out against massive violations of human rights?

As mentioned these things can have real negative effect on the people actually living in these countries, read here:

Obama response to Gambian human rights abuses criticized

This particular dictator has even used this relationship with Obama to legitimise his rule, stating Obama actually "celebrated his work". Now obviously that wasn't the case but when you have pictures like this being taken it is exceptionally easy for these dictators to use them as propaganda in support of such claims - particularly if they have large control of the media or have internet is not easy for the public to access.

17. Aldrick

741852963 -

I agree. It's unacceptable for responsible world leaders, particularly the United States, to treat abusers of human rights with anything but the highest amount of contempt.

However, what do you recommend doing? What do you suggest doing to help the Gambian people, particularly the LGBT community, that is not a pointless symbolic gesture?

18. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Ugh, that guy. He's one of my least favourite dictators.

It's sad that these African nations think that they're somehow rebelling against the West and colonialism by being super anti-gay. Although it's also interesting that conservative Christian groups like the Family Research Council have supported African anti-gay laws in the past.

19. 741852963

Well posing for photographs with him is a "pointless symbolic gesture" and yet it has had the power to garner a lot of media attention.

A simple statement by the President or his administration would help clarify the US' position on human rights abuse and act as hope to all those affected that this isn't being condoned.

Obviously conflict is not a good option, but other options are available in these cases. We have already seen countries threatening to cease aid to or speaking out against countries like Uganda who have the death penalty for homosexuality in place. Now whether that helps or not is a matter of debate, but at least it is positive action and at least it is better than taking chummy photos with the leaders.

I wonder with a lot of these dictators also whether they suffer from delusions of grandeur - particularly when you look at the flamboyance of past dictators like Gadaffi and Kim Jong Il. I'm guessing a lot of these men have a very skewed view of the world, and so probably do feel legitimised by being treated like royalty. Its almost like the Emperor's New Clothes - if they are treated well enough times and never criticised they must feel justified in their actions.

20. Aldrick

That's the least they can do. It is also fairly irrelevant, and the equivalent of the U.N. sending a strongly worded letter to a dictator telling them of how badly they disapprove of their genocide. Unless that letter is awash in anthrax, it's not going to matter.

Conflict is the ONLY option. Conflict became inevitable the moment he threatened the lives of LGBT people, and the path became unavoidable when they started passing and enforcing anti-gay laws. Conflict is already happening. It's just a matter of which side you are on, and who is going to win.

Threatening to cease aid is pointless, especially for African countries. Gambia has no real economy, has no real exports, and is dirt poor. It's people survive off of foreign aid. If you cut that they are going to starve and die. You are also going to make things worse in the country, because it's going to create a nationalist backlash. Yahya Jammeh will stand there, talk about colonialism, and how the Western World is trying to oppress poor little Gambia. He'll talk about how he's going to be the big strong man to stand up to the West, and he'll talk about how we want to force all of Gambia to be gay. Essentially, we will want to turn Gambia to Gaybia. Things will get worse for the people there, and they will blame LGBT people and the West.

It's not a matter of debate, and it isn't a positive action, it will make things worse.

I am not concerned about how they feel. I am concerned about what they do or do not do. If they are doing the right things, and they are moving in a direction that we want them, then treat them in whatever way plays to their delusions or vanity. If not, then we treat them in whatever way is necessary to get the outcome that we want.

The consistent problem that we run into is that the Western World, and more broadly free, open, secular democratic societies around the globe that embrace human rights, do not hold other nations accountable. They are afraid of conflict, and so they don't stand up for their values.

We say that human rights are universal, but our actions say that human rights end at national borders. If we were being truthful in our statement, we would realize that national borders are imaginary lines, and that national sovereignty is not relevant when you are abusing, exploiting, and killing your people. We will realize that even in places where the majority of the population disagrees, that their feelings are not relevant on the matter because human rights are universal.

If we can't find the moral courage to stand up to tiny, poor, and pathetically weak nations like Gambia, how in the hell are we going to find the courage to stand up to powerful and wealthy countries like Saudi Arabia, Iran, and Russia?