1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Father makes Son destroy his own Xbox for bad grades

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Simple Thoughts, May 16, 2015.

1. Simple Thoughts

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/psychopath-or-best-parent-in-the-world-dads-119043392822.html

Do you think this punishment makes sense? Yes? No? Why?

Personally, I love this idea we've all been starting to adapt lately that children should never ever ever be punished in any capacity whatsoever, and somehow they'll be perfect little angels without having to learn about consequences. It's kinda stupid.

Kids have to learn boundaries at some point, Kids have to learn that some behavior is unacceptable, and children also have to at some point begin the process of learning how to care for themselves ( obviously this one you don't start right away, but over the course of their childhood you're supposed to be preparing them for when they are adults )

Punishment is a part of life. Once you reach aduthood you'll find a lot less sympathy and forgiveness for your actions. If parents aren't doing something to teach their kids to behave as kids, when they are adults the Law and their employers certainly will. I feel bad for any of these kids who probably haven't ever been punished before.

I'm against physical punishments like spanking, but if you get rid of that it has to be replaced with something. Grounding, taking away privileges, and what I'd personally do given the kids of today...take the dang phone away from em. Make them live in the real world for a few weeks.

2. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this is VERY wrong. One, it will be instilled in the mind of that kid that when something frustrating happened to him he should smash/destroy something. When he grow up, he will retain that. Two, does his father doesnt know the word CONFISCATE? He could have hide it somewhere instead of letting that kid destroy it!

Fuck, he could have just given it me! :dry:

3. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The dad could of just sold the consoles or took them away... :eusa_doh:

#3 Steam Mecha, May 16, 2015
    Last edited: May 16, 2015
  4. Gallatin

It's one thing to ground the kid and temporarily take his Xbox until he gets satisfactory grades, but to have him destroy the thing? No, I don't agree with that. Now? He could get straight As but nothing's bringing his Xbox back. I guess one could argue that now the kid will try to do well out of fear of having to destroy more of his stuff, but I don't really think that's a healthy way of going about things.

5. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The fact that he uploaded it to humiliate his son in front of millions means he's a horrible parent.

#5 Steam Mecha, May 16, 2015
  6. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think destroying it was unnecessary, and probably won't help. In fact, I have no idea why someone would go along with it - unless they had a gun to their head there was nothing forcing him to do that. I certainly wouldn't - and if they destroyed it anyway, I'd destroy something of theirs in retaliation. Actually I'd be seriously tempted to hit them - totally out of order.

Taking it away until his grades improved would have at least given him an incentive to do better, but now there is probably nothing. Plus, the parent might want to inquire as to why his grades are bad - I suppose he presumed the X-box was responsible but that might not be the case. I remember my mother taking away my PS1 and she told me she gave it away - but in reality she gave it to my aunt for a few weeks, and then I got it back later when my behaviour improved.

Also, it's a waste of money. So all in all a pretty dumb thing to do. These parents need a visit from Supernanny.

#6 imnotreallysure, May 16, 2015
  7. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I think the dad was just a douche.

Teacher, teacher, get off my back
    Gameboy's not making me lazy

8. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The message he's giving his kid is "if you make a mistake, I will destroy something that's special to you and humiliate you in the process, so you better buck up". That's not my idea of good parenting.

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's incredibly shaming and will have a long lasting negative effect on the boy.

10. 741852963

Incredibly bad parenting.

Firstly, as the kid says, it might not be his fault. Depending on the subject grade marking can be incredibly subjective, plus there are other factors that can hinder ids grades. One of which is exam stress and I'm guessing this kid probably had a lot of that if this is the normal behavior of his father.

Secondly it is utterly over the top. A sensible option would have been to simply ground the child or remove access to the console. Plus "internet shaming" him is horrible.

Another point is, if this child was given the console as a christmas present, I'm guessing that would make it his property (as gifts transfer ownership rights, no?) - the father has no right to destroy this.

11. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I disagree with it.

I agree that he should have taken the Xbox. There are too many lenient parents in the world. But to destroy the console is an exaggeration.

12. DragKing692

Unhealthy. Poor kid, should have been punished fairly. (then again, could've just given the x-box to me)

13. nohalos

I think it comes across as counterproductive.

1.) He paid for that Xbox, damnit! I wouldn't destroy somethin' I invested my money on.
    2.) The true way to go through it is let his son earn the thing. Little by little, like if he had physical copies of the games, if he gets a C+, he gets five of his games back, B all of his games and the whole shebang and maybe add a bonus if he gets an A.

It should be rewarding for both sides. You see your child change for the better, while you see him enjoy what he enjoys. Who knows? The kid might even love studying from the No Xbox days!

The situation might lead to his son rebelling even more. It could make his son think "Oh, you're gonna destroy everything I have anyway, so what's the point in trying?" Although it could also lead to traumatizing the kid. Either way, it's not gonna be good.

14. Raikamaru

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Dick move, dude.

15. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    It depends
    if the kid is the type that never worries about anything because he feels entitled and thinks that no matter what, dad is just going to pay his way through life, then, Im kinda on track with the dad.
    Of course I might have taught a dual lesson to the kid and taught him what giving was all about, I would have donated the game machine to the church or a youth group, then told the kid that when he brought his grades up he could then go out and get a job and earn the money to replace what he lost. That way he would learn to give to the less fortunate, and what it actually takes to earn the money to buy what you want.
    that crap job might even convince him to strive for grades that might allow him to be the manager or owner of the establishment instead of the peon working minimum wage.

or, it could make him have a break down and send him to the streets to become a male stripper giving head to support his new found heroin addiction.. pretty much a toss up here.

16. antibinary

There is a difference between not letting him play on it for a few days and making him destroy it.

17. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They're going to make money for hundred more xbox consoles if the video gets enough view, which it looks like it might.

#17 pinkpanther, May 16, 2015
  18. randomly me

randomly me Guest

A little of topic but still: i find it kinda asshole-ly to destroy something that costs that much.

---------- Post added 16th May 2015 at 07:07 PM ----------

Just for a punishement.

19. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Wait. I'm confused.

It was an X-Box, not a PlayStation, that was destroyed, right?

Where's the punishment?

20. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does that dad have any idea how expensive stuff like that is? It reminds me of a dad that took all of his kid's X-Box games and ran over them when a lawn mower in front of him. I guess he wasn't aware that he just destroyed hundreds of dollars in merch.