1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Michael Sam is coming to Montreal!!! :) :)

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by greatwhale, May 22, 2015.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was announced today that Michael Sam, the first out American football player will be coming to my fair city!! I am positively chuffed (and conflicted, I am the worst.sports.fan.ever!).

He'll be joining the Montreal Allouettes!

This so beautifully mirrors Montreal's role in the past when they took on Jackie Robinson to play for the Montreal Royals, he went on to become the first black Major League Baseball player in the US!

I bet I'll see him in our great Gay Village soon enough!

2. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope he does well. He was a great player in college, but just didn't have a body that translated well in the NFL. He was a bit too big/slow to make a good outside linebacker and not quite big and strong enough to play defensive end. He was a smart player he just didn't have the physical body to succeed at the NFL level.

3. guitar

As cool as this is, I still don't care about the CFL :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think he would ever be a starter in the NFL for that reason, but I think he could make a roster, and I feel like a lot of NFL teams are scared of the (nonexistent) locker room conflict or media attention for just a fringe player. It's horseshit and it sucks. Hopefully he dominates the CFL.

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is an interesting comparison between the two different (North) American football leagues.

(note the difference in salaries!)

6. piano71

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Glad Michael Sam has another shot at a professional football career. He will go to Canada and find that government policy is more progressive, cities are cleaner, and life is better. Taxes are higher, but you get what you pay for. :slight_smile:

I'm not much of a sports fan, but am now a bit curious about Canadian football. Strategy has to be difference with three instead of four downs on a possession. For a time, football fans in the USA were watching Canadian football when NFL players were on strike (this was in the early 1980s).

I wonder if a gay network (like Logo) will pick up Canadian football broadcasts if Michael Sam's career takes off north of the border?

---------- Post added 22nd May 2015 at 02:36 PM ----------

Star NFL players are dramatically overpaid. Interestingly, Michael Sam was paid more for his year on the sidelines (about US$450K) than he could make as a star athlete in the CFL. But I think CFL salaries more accurately reflect the value of football players than those of the NFL.

7. CyclingFan

Easier to follow now that there's only one team named the Rough Riders.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone