1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transgendered children poll

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Drizzt DoUrden, Nov 30, 2008.

1. VomAnderenUfer

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well, it's onenewsnow.com, a division of the "Family News Network." No bias in their questioning or reportinb ("God-determined gender", " 'feels' "). How about the next one? "Should activist judges be voted ouf of office?"

http://www.onenewsnow.com/Poll.aspx?ekfrm=334722

2. ColbieMarie

ColbieMarie Guest

When/if I'm a parent I (hope) I will be open minded and accepting enough to allow my child live his/her life as the gender that he/she felt.

With that said, the poll said preteen. I guess I could understand a parent thinking their 12 year old is simply going through a phase, even tho that is not the case.

3. buriedinhw7

I saw a special on I think it was on ABC with Barbara Walters and they did a piece on transgendered children. The stories almost brought me to tears and it made me so happy that these children were lucky enough to have such accepting parents. It also made me really sad to think of how most aren't that lucky.

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    That was a great show. I taped it and we saw it at PFLAG too. Those children are going to grow up happy and healthy unlike alot of transgender people I know who are still struggling with their identity at 50 years old.

5. Amy

Amy

#6 Amy, Dec 1, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  6. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    "Do you expect the Obama administration to appoint at least one open homosexual to a Cabinet-level position?"

Yes []
    No []
    I hope so [X]

7. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    the wording of that questonnaire was brilliant "god-given gender"! No collection bias there at all.

Although saying that Im not entirely sure what to think about that argument. You have to assess whether the "child" is mature enough to make this kind of decision, which would have life-altering implications. In Britain a "child" is said to be Gillick competent and they can then make decisions for their own health, however gender identity is still considered a mental disorder under both ICD-10 and DSM-4. Therefore I think it would be a very brave doctor that would administer hormones to a preteen without parental consent. I personally think that at the age of 12 most children are not mature enough to make those kinds of decisions about their future. However there are a small minority that do.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hereford/worcs/7721231.stm

This is unrelated to transexuality, but along the same lines of having the capacity to make informed decisions about ones own health.

8. I think it has nothing to do with maturity; even small children know whether they are a girl or a boy.

9. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people

I agree that some children perhaps know from birth who they are. I would say, though, that the majority dont. But thats not really the issue. Having hormonal treatment at such a young age has huge implications, which an immature child wouldn't consider. What if in the future that person whats to have a child? By performing hormonal therapy before puberty that chance is completely irradicated. After puberty sperm can be frozen for example, before hormonal therapy is administered. I think maturity has a big thing to do with this kind of decision.

10. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Drizzt DoUrden, it doesn't have anything to do with maturity. All children know their own selves, better than most adults actually because they haven't had as much societal conditioning. What I don't understand is why kids are such a big deal, I mean, one of the classic questions any gay person gets when they come out to their parents is "what about our grandchildren" I don't get it. I know that kids are great (some people like them more than others but what ever), but why does it matter so much that they are genetically your own, I know people feel strongly about this and I mean no offense, but there are so many kids in need of a home, why can't you adopt. Really, is living a lie and trying (I say trying because I don't believe you can truly succeed in this case) to conform to societies views based on external appearances better than having kids who are genetically similar? I don't understand this...

11. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I completely agree that pretending to be someone you are not, just to conform to societies norms is one of the worst parts of being in the closet. Believe me I know. I just mentioned "having a kid" as an example, because to some people it is very important. Hormonal treatment, or in fact any external genitalia altering procedures, have many risks involved. I'm not just talking socially (kids aspect), but also for example increased risk of cancer and also infection post operatively. Obviously any consenting teenager/adult understands those risks and will go through with treatment. If a child of any age is aware of the dangers and is able to give a logical reason why they are willing to continue with the treatment despite the risks.....well then they should be entitled to make their own life decisions. I don't think that all 12 year old kids are ready to make that kind of decision. But thats just what I think, and I understand why you have your view. Any kid who speaks out about their gender at such a young age, will probably be as mature as any teenager anyway.

12. Odradek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Did anyone look at the rest of that website (the second link)?

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!! It was horrible, just abominable.