1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Celebrating 10 Years of Marriage Equality in Canada

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by greatwhale, May 28, 2015.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greetings,

Already 10 years have passed since marriage equality became a fact in this country, it is an awesome accomplishment and I can honesty say that I have not seen one single instance of fire and brimstone falling from the sky, nor any sign of the earth opening and swallowing up all the wicked people. And if there should ever be fire and brimstone, let's hope it falls somewhere between December and February...we could use the heat!...:dry:

And yet...there is still much to do!

Now it is transgender rights that need to be obtained, hopefully this will happen sooner rather than later, but with this conservative government...

2. wolf of fire

I'm thinking of moving to Canada, this being one of the reasons.

3. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    pretty darn cool isnt it? we have a bill before the senate but one of the old guard Progressive Conservative, i believe, senators is blocking it and put ammendments in that gut it and kicked it back to the house effectively killing it.

4. Schloss

Out Status:
    Some people
    Amazing! Is there anybody in Canada who can give us a couple of instances on how the situation has changed for themselves in their own environment since the introduction of marriage equality? I'm curious because Canada was one of the first countries to introduce it, and now we have an entire generation born during a time when marriage equality exists. I mean you can have all the laws changed but it doesn't necessarily change the situation in people's immediate environments. Is bullying gay kids still an issue in schools? Can people hold their same-sex partner's hand freely on the streets? Any problems with access to housing/health-care? I know a lot of this could be researched by Google but I think it's so much more insightful to hear from people living there.

5. Cedar

I haven't really noticed anything different where I live. Though I live in a rural town in southwest ontario, people around here tend to listen more to conservative us radio shows than they are about accepting gay or trans people. I think I might be the only trans person in my community. I've never seen an instance of two men/women holding hands or anything affectionate between two people of the same sex, I think it's pretty much a thing that happens behind closed doors still. It's still quite conservative around where I live thanks to what religion did to us(I live on a rez), the people that are trying to reconnect with their cultural roots tend to be more accepting. Since our culture once had gay weddings and accepted trans people, the residential schools messed us up pretty bad.:bang:

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    These are good questions, as they go to the core of what we can expect after same-sex marriage becomes legal. I did my own Google search, and found this reputable survey.

Clearly a lot remains to be done at the level of schools, bullying still goes on, but there are attempts to address this with anti-bullying regulations and sensitization to LGBT issues, and things appear to be better in schools when there are GSAs (Gay-Straight Alliances) established therein.

Two guys holding hands in public: pretty rare, but I have spotted this more and more in public spaces far enough from the Gay Village to think that this is going to increase. It is not wise to do it in certain areas, but I have seen this, along with public displays of affection, in places I would have never expected.

One place where there is no tolerance for discrimination is in housing and healthcare. In the province of Quebec and other provinces, there are anti-homophobia laws on the books. This is not to say that there isn't discrimination for housing, but the rental board, here in Montreal anyway, is quite powerful and legal recourse is inexpensive. Healthcare discrimination, as far as I know, is not an issue.

7. Psaurus918

I haven't been to Canada since they changed the law where you need a passport to get back into the US but I really want to go to Montreal, my mom said I was there as a kid but I want to go as an adult and my friend wants me to go to Toronto with him. Are both cities gay friendly?

8. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Crazy to think that same-sex marriage was legal before I even realized I was gay. Yay Canada :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

9. AlamoCity

I got y'all beat. Texas: 12 years since you could actually have consensual, private sex with a person of the same sex.

Oh, wait...

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, for the most part, both cities are amazingly gay-friendly, with different "accents"! :grin:

11. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ten years ago, my mate (well, husband, now, as of Dec. 8, 2014 :slight_smile:) used to think of moving to Canada; we both grew up in Michigan, and had thus been there a good number of times. I often wonder what turn our lives might have taken. And ten years ago, we'd been together about 15 years. So it had been a while, even then.

The main problem was that it seemed hard to become a citizen, unless you had a really advanced degree, or were fleeing a war-zone...so that though we did earnestly consider the idea, it never got too far due to the legal issues.

Now, we're married here, but we badly want to move back to Michigan, where we wouldn't be married. Maybe SCOTUS will rule in favor, but I have considered moving back, and living near the border.

I wonder how hard it is, though, to become a citizen? I hate the idea of being married in a state that I like but now wish to leave to go back to my home, so perhaps Canada will be close enough, should Michigan refuse to get its act together, one way, or another.

#11 HuskyPup, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
  12. tscott

Toronto is extremely gay-friendly, and a great place to visit on it's own. It's not NYC. NYC has everything, but I like Toronto so much better. It's cleaner, friendlier, easier to get around...and I love the black squirrels. As an added benefit, you can get Cuban cigars...legally.

13. allnewtome

I've certainly seen a very different perspective. There was two trans girls that lived near me for sometime and while who knows what people said behind there back I witnessed a lot of people showing no signs of disrespect.

There's a lesbian couple in their early 30's that lives not far from me and two single gay guys and I've seen neighbours chat with them regularly or help with yard work. I also visited an older well established restaurant where a group of lgbt couples (10-16) meet once a month.

There's not a huge night life or anything for lgbt but many individuals here of all ages don't seem to think twice about it.

14. Eric

Sounds like you're describing Don Plett, who for the record is no Progressive Conservative, as that implies a certain degree of Red Toryism. He was a supporter, and actively involved in, the Reform/Alliance party, putting him in pretty far right-wing territory. Complete patronage appointment, too.

15. Schloss

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for sharing the survey, these guys did a pretty amazing job compiling all that information. I wouldn't say it was an eye-opener because I kind of expected the results, but I'm glad they took a closer look at intersectionality and trans-issues (which even in the LGBT community is sometimes overlooked).

It still seems like we're moving at steamroller pace. I don't know if what remains of homophobia is the vestige of a previous era that just won't die out, or something that'll always exist on the basis of Othering.

I came across some resources that actually show a drop in support for same-sex marriage in Canada and Australia - I'm a little hazy with regards to sharing links on this forum so I won't, and instead suggest people to do a search on it just to be sure. If that calls for a mini-crisis, I'm not sure - but since I don't live in Canada, I can't speak on anybody's behalf. It's relieving to say that overall trends are still positive in Canada :slight_smile:

16. floridagal1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  17. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Just to expand the data pool a bit.
    We've had SSM for over 14 years now and we still haven't sunk back into the sea.

18. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Even before same-sex marriage was legal, I lived in a small, mostly rural community in Southern Ontario and my neighbours were a lesbian couple raising 2 kids. I do not recall a single instance of harrassment towards them from our neighbourhood. (BTW, they'll be married 10 years this year :wink: )

My high school had a section of LGBT+ books in the library, out-teachers, every classroom and office was a safe space, and we had a GSA by the time I graduated (2006). I did experience the teeniest bit of bullying in 10th grade, but by the time my (female) friend and I (still very much in the closet) went to prom, no body paid it any mind.

From my experience, it's rare that anyone from like my brother's generation (born mid-70's) down really thinks anything of same sex couples anymore. It's like 'hey, you and your SO are cute! Oh! Popcorn!'.

Also: Yay Canada! :slight_smile: Let's get to work on those sex ed and trans* rights bills yes?

19. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh thank heavens! I was worried! I like the Dutch! :grin:

20. Linthras

Linthras Guest

:thumbsup: