1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News TV Station Refuses To Air Ad About Gay Republican Soldier Who Wants To Get Married

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, May 29, 2015.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    More here

2. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: TV Station Refuses To Air Ad About Gay Republican Soldier Who Wants To Get Marrie

Meanies! >.<

3. Aldrick

Re: TV Station Refuses To Air Ad About Gay Republican Soldier Who Wants To Get Marrie

Disgusting. I watched the ad, there was nothing offensive or even provocative about it, aside from the fact that he's a gay Republican. Hell, they didn't even hold hands.

I am wondering if there is a potential legal case here. Technically, while the station is privately owned, they broadcast over public airways. Surely, there is a Free Speech claim to be made here, perhaps? It seems hard to argue that there isn't a Freedom of Speech case here that could make its way all the way to the SCOTUS, because the station is blocking their access to public airways without good cause. It's a bit like denying marriage equality advocates access to the internet, by claiming Internet Service Providers don't want gay people online because they come to places like EC and discuss their problems. By refusing to air the ad, they are blocking Freedom to Marry's right to engage in political speech.

Their entire justification is that the ad is "controversial." So, how are they applying this litmus test to others seeking to air ads on their station? Walmart's refusal to pay their workers a living wage makes them a controversial company, are they refusing to air ads promoting Walmart?

It's unclear what network they are affiliated with, but do they air the 700 Club? Pat Robertson is rabidly anti-gay. Same issue. Different side. Would they pull the 700 Club? What if a Christian Group wanted to make an anti-marriage equality ad, would they be denied access to the public airways? I think we all know the answer to all of these questions.

4. AKTodd

The article says the station is an NBC affiliate. Not sure that NBC broadcasts the 700 Club in any capacity.

Todd

5. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

... Meanwhile tolerating sexist and degrading commercials, violence and junk food.

Fucking hypocrites...