1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Results of Poll on Attitudes Towards GLBT People

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by s5m1, Dec 3, 2008.

1. s5m1

2. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not surprising to see that white evangelicals are the ones with the sticks farthest up their asses. Thanks, women 18-34. And how could you possibly oppose non-discrimination laws?

About that one last section of the poll, the one that highlighted the difference between people who know being gay is inborn and those who mistakenly believe it's a choice, I can't wait for the day that that second group disappears. It's like having a poll that separates people who believe the earth is spherical from those who believe the earth is flat. These people have no evidence at all that being gay is a personal choice - anecdotal evidence and "because I just think it is" bullshit reasoning.

3. kramer362

Wow, that's inspiring.

Negative attitudes towards glbt people are rapidly changing when you look at the difference in opinion between people under 65, and even moreso under 35. And the fact that simply knowing a gay person, equality under the law, and portraying gay characters on tv helps this shift is awesome.

I couldn't imagine being gay even 20 years ago, it's so sad what earlier generations had to go through. :icon_sad:

4. starfish

That was an interesting read.

It was interesting to see that 9% thought people are born gay and should not have any legal recognition of their relationships. I would have liked to see them asked if it is because they do not think the government should recognize any relationship.

These results are good news. I think this is a case were all we have to do is stay the course and we will win.

I agree with Kramer362. When I think about what it used to be like for the earlier generations. The gay part of me wants to cry, the libertarian part of me is disappointed and the human part of me is furious.

I don't have a problem with people that think homosexuality is a choice. I have a problem when they think it is ok to take our inalienable right to liberty, pursuit of happiness, and in some cases life just because they disagree with something we do.

5. My mother said the same thing to me. She was like you guys have it so good today, back in the 80's it was very hidden, you just didn't talk about it if you were. So at least we're making progress. But the weird thing is it was like African-Americans were among the groups that most favored extending hate crime protection to LGBT people. Yet weren't they one of the biggest groups who voted for Proposition 8?

6. kramer362

Yeah, that is odd. I'd like to see some statistics on what percentage of the black population in California is church-going or Christian though. It could just be religion is more prominent in the black community than others? Or maybe some people are insulted that we equate the gay rights movement and gay marriage with civil rights of the 60s and inter-racial marriage? Not making any generalizations or assumptions, just throwing that idea out there..

7. Yeah, it just struck me as extremely odd. I was like wait a minute, really?