1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Martin O Malley announces Presidential Run

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by dano218, May 30, 2015.

1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Martin O'Malley Announces Presidential Campaign in Baltimore

I think as much Clinton is ahead in the polls and everybody loves her for reasons I cannot understand I think O Malley who has a clean record, no scandals, and fresh ideas is a better choice to lead this country forward. He seems to be a man of the people and when I see a candidate I wonder who I could I enjoy a drink with and a heartfelt conservation with that and I think O Malley speaks to me personally. I see Hilary on the other hand and I see no connection there and no vibe and she feels like dry goods. O Malley maybe a long shot but so was Obama and I think he represents best a new generation of Americans. So with the risk and the love of country I am supporting O Malley in 2016!

2. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He'll finish a distant second in Iowa and New Hampshire and drop out shortly thereafter. Martin O'Malley doesn't have the amount of funding that Barack Obama did in 2008, and nor does he create the kind of excitement that Obama did. Not to mention, Martin O'Malley has a real name recognition problem-the same reason that Bill Richardson (Former Governor of New Mexico) didn't go anywhere back in 2008.

3. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I know but I cannot see Hillary winning now in all honesty.

4. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    Martin OweMalley would be the biggest mistake that the country could make right now.
    He ran Maryland into the ground, the top earners moved out of the state in record numbers, our fortune 500 companies packed up and left because of his taxes. He taxed THE FRIGGIN RAIN,, THE RAIN. depending on how much fell on your land. raised gas taxes when people were already hurting, tripled the tolls on the bridges, allowed the roads to crumble. shifted teachers pensions from the state to the counties, but did not shift the money in those funds, or did he reduce taxes to reflect the shift.
    he raised taxes over 40 times in the first 6 years of his 8.
    He was so bad that even the democrats showed up in huge numbers in a historically democrat state to vote for the Republican Larry Hogan.
    The list is much longer but before you say that he is for the people you really need to research his record.

5. 741852963

Another problem is it is difficult to discuss him in politics without becoming distracted and singing:

[YOUTUBE]yRET1vsfiJM[/YOUTUBE]

What, just me? :lol:

6. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He's quite handsome. I'd vote for him.

To the above - I was wondering why the name 'O'Malley' sounded familiar - now I remember. :grin:

#6 imnotreallysure, May 30, 2015
    Last edited: May 30, 2015
  7. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok I will look into into and being your from Maryland I will take into account. I cannot understand how you can tax the rain. Could please go into detail on that if you wish.

---------- Post added 30th May 2015 at 10:33 AM ----------

lol well he is member of a band actually

---------- Post added 30th May 2015 at 10:33 AM ----------

Oh gosh don't even go there oh too bad I already did lol

8. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    Maryland Governor Taxes Rain - Breitbart

---------- Post added 30th May 2015 at 02:37 PM ----------

Governor O’Malley famously tried increasing taxes to balance the state’s budget with little success in 2007. The increase in the top marginal tax rate, known as a “millionaire’s tax,” cost Maryland $1.7 billion in lost tax revenue, according to Change Maryland. Between 2007 and 2010, the state population suffered a net loss of 31,000 people

9. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok i agree that is very stupid but that is a biased news source. The same site made up a rumor that Sen. Harry Reid was beat up by his brother along with many other stupid rumors. Breitbart is not legit to me sorry.

10. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    my tax bill is legit to me. Living here makes it legit to me

11. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know and I agree with you but I cannot like Breitbart lol

12. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Take a look at the polls.

If you color the map based on the polls in the individual states, here's how the election would turn out:

[​IMG]

Quinnipiac's national polling shows Hillary Clinton with a 10-point lead (47-37) over Jeb Bush, an 8-point lead (46-38) over Scott Walker, a 7-point lead over Mike Huckabee (47-40) and a four-point lead over both Marco Rubio and Rand Paul.

Meanwhile in the Democratic Primary, Hillary leads nationally with 63.6% of the vote. Of the candidates polled that are actually running, Bernie Sanders is in a distant second with 8.8% of the vote, with Jim Webb at 2.6%, Lincoln Chafee at 1.8%, and Martin O'Malley in dead last with 0.8% of the vote.

In the Iowa Caucuses, Hillary Clinton is polling 61% of the vote at the moment, with Bernie Sanders in second place with 7%. She can win, she is winning, and she will win.

13. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ouch got me there

Trust me i read the polls on a daily basis though I was just taking them out of the equation. This kind off topic but how you can tell what polls are accurate or what polls are not cause in all honesty the polls in 2014 were bad. Many democrats who were thought to have a good chance lost when the polls showed it differently. I just don't trust polls but i guess during midterms polls can inaccurate they were in 2006 midterms too i think.

14. Psaurus918

I'm not fan of O'Malley but I knew Bi in MD wouldn't respond with a reasonable source to the "rain tax" because there isn't one. "Rain tax" was something made up by Rep. Candidate Hogan as a political campaign slur

15. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Montana is ethical trash.

Also, everyone is running for president.

16. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Is this your official declaration, Pret?

17. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd like to take this opportunity to announce my candidacy for the Democratic Party's nomination for President of the United States. One of my main campaign goals will revolve around calling for a constitutional convention to lower the minimum age to become President to 18 so that I can actually run! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I hope to have endorsements from members of EC as I run my campaign. In the words of Stephen Colbert: I am America, and so can you!

But being serious, it's refreshing to see that Hillary will have more than just one competitor. O'Malley has already turned off a bunch of progressives, however, because he decided to take a jab at Bernie Sanders, accusing him of not accomplishing anything in his political career. At least Bernie has more name recognition than you, bud.

18. Aldrick

LOL. It's funny that O'Malley decides to waste his energy attacking Sanders. Bernie doesn't actually believe he is going to win, he's primarily in the race to raise important issues that are important to progressives and liberals. The only room in this race is to Hillary's left, and Bernie is already occupying that spot.

If O'Malley is serious about running for President, he shouldn't be punching down at Bernie. He should be talking about the fact that he can be the person who can actually beat Hillary AND make the argument that he can win the general election. Then he should focus on going after Hillary--you punch up, not down. You try and siphon off some support from Bernie, you try and make yourself appealing to any soft supporters of Hillary, and then you wait for something to happen to Hillary--a weakness, a vulnerability, a horrible scandal, and then you step in to fill the role of next in line.

For example, it is conceivable that another scandal could rock the Clinton campaign... imagine Bill Clinton being caught with another woman. That wouldn't be Hillary's fault, but it would be the focus of the media, and it would remind everyone of the baggage Hillary is hauling around in the form of her husband. The scandal would be all about her marriage all over again. ...and it's in that moment someone like O'Malley might be able to step into a more powerful role. Democrats would panic--as they always do--and they are going to turn to the next most plausible candidate. That isn't going to be Bernie Sanders.

Unfortunately, I don't think O'Malley can actually win the Presidency. I am supporting Hillary because I think she can actually win, and is perhaps our most formidable candidate. It is important that a Democrat always occupy the White House, at least until all these older SCOTUS judges die or retire. We do not want Republicans making appointments to the SCOTUS. So for me, it's a very simple election choice. Who is going to win, and who is going to appoint judges that are going to be the most in line with my values.

I also like Hillary, because I think she is more aggressive than Obama, and is not afraid to fight dirty. Unfortunately, being a Clinton, she brings with her scandal baggage. We never know what skeletons--real or imagined (mostly imagined, actually)--are going to be pulled out of the closet. It's always a distraction and a problem.

We need more creditable candidates in the race, preferably some to the left of Hillary, but who can actually have what it takes to win and then--even more importantly--what it takes to govern. Obama has been too nice and too weak on the governing front. We need a liberal Machiavellian, who just isn't afraid to do whatever is necessary to further the agenda. A modern LBJ or FDR for the 21st Century--someone who may not personally be a good person, but is good for the country. I don't see any candidate like that out there, yet.

If anything, this is where someone like Bernie Sanders fails. Not only is he an old school liberal who lacks fresh new ideas, he's too idealistic and nice. So even if he were to win, he couldn't govern. Out of O'Malley, Clinton, and Sanders, only Clinton has any real chance of actually governing if she wins.

It's all well and nice to win an election, but if you can't govern once you win then you are simply a seat warmer for the next President.

19. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    yes, I am certain that I must step down to your expert knowledge of OweMalley. I mean, I only live in Maryland, and have since I was born, but you have the advantage of being from New York and having read about Maryland somewhere, maybe on the Huffington? Its clear to the average individual that you would have to be much more educated on this OweMalley blunder than I would.
    However to help ease your pain let me suggest that you use google and search for the rain tax, while you are at it, you should check and see what other things happened in the state. like, how many wealthy moved out, how many companies shut down or moved, the little things.

20. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good point but I have to disagree that the wealthy should always be taxed way more and it is only fair for them to be taxed more but that is a argument for another day.