1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So all of you should help me on this - cause I need it!!

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by justbeingme, Dec 3, 2008.

1. justbeingme

Well, let me start at the beginning. In my English class we had a persuasive essay assignment so I chose my essay prompt to be "Why Campus High School should start a Anti-Discrimination program for the protection of minorities, with an emphasis on the LGBTQ community." I got a good grade on the essay, but im not done yet. I'll get what I have so far online later, but does anyone have anything I should make sure is in it? Whether it's statistics or personal stories that you would be willing to give, that woulod be super great!!

P.S. Make sure you message me so I see in my email that I got some stuff for the essay.

2. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey there
    Sounds like an interesting topic. I dont know stats off the top of my head but I'm sure you can easily find them on the net. You should include things like the prevalence of mental illness in homosexuals....gays are much more likely to be depressed than straight people. This is because of lack of support, not just because of bullying at school but also because they may be in the closet, or their parents and family might reject them.

In relation to that you could look at suicide rates. And then maybe compare rates from different countries.

The study below talks about how depression is related to internalised homophobia....so if someone thinks being gay is a curse then they are more likely to suffer from depression. People get these views because of societies homo-negative discrimination. Unfortunately only the abstract is available online and not the actual study.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...nel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

This study actually looked at the effects of ignoring discrimination against LBGTQ individuals. So exactly what your essay is about. Unfortunately you cant access the actual study again unless you pay, but the abstract pretty much concludes the results of the study.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...nel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

These studies are carried out by university professors and published in well known international journals. So quite reliable info, it will look good if you quote them in your essay and the reference them at the end. When you reference it just put the name of the journal and the page numbers eg Health Psychol. 2007 Sep;26(5):627-34.
    Then the name of the journal, and the authors. This site (pubmed) is really good for finding journals like these two so have a play around.

Good luck with the essay.

3. littledinosaurs

I remember as a LGBT confrence i went to that kids who are part of a racial minority and are also LGBT have a significantly harder time than those who aren't a racial minority. its sorta a duh thing if you think about it, but it seems worth to look into to provide special help to those kids.

4. mcrteenagers

I think thats a great and challenging topic you picked.

I'd definately research some stats related to depression, suicide related to the GLBTQ community.

Which then branches into, if support and education are there, would "members" of your program feel more safe.

Does active education from GSA's help eliminate the hate/confusion/etc of the GLBTQ community?

I just wrote what I thought, it may not make sense because its raw, but I'd love to see what you have so far.

5. justbeingme

Hey everyone I havent been on EC in so long I really miss it!!

The essay went really well (got myself a 89% whoohooo!!!), but i never re-edit-ed it to present it to my school district administration because of all kinds of crap my boyfriend and I were getting. But this semester I did another essay (cause&effect style) that rocked even more that was basically saying America would be a much better place if the LGBT community was completly liberated.