1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Erroneous police shooting of student in California

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Tightrope, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    See the article:

Police killing of unarmed college debater under scrutiny

This is very sad. I read the story. It seems unbelievable and so out of character. How did this student get into this experimentation? There was no history of this in his past. His parents appear to be in so much anguish and understandably so. These strange confrontations between police and ordinary civilians seem to be increasing and each side has their own story. I don't know what to say.

2. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    Police all over have been getting more bold and less helpful ever since the DOJ and the current administration decided to try and Federalize local police forces.

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, the reason things like this happen is because police departments would rather protect their own and worship, rather than punish, the corrupt murderers on their forces.

4. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    That goes right along with what I posted.
    they are above the law, you WILL do as they say, regardless.
    I used to be 100% behind law enforcement, however due to various encounters with them over the last couple years, I tend to take the side of the wronged vs the side of the police.
    there is actually one up here that I would LOVE to find out of state and out of uniform one day. I would beat that little midget POS to near death.. then taze him just for fun.
    But I digress.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I have some insight on this.

When I was dealing, years ago, you stop being surprised who comes to or through you. I've seen your typical junkies, your high school kids looking to have fun, adults of all walks and professions, and even elderly women, have all purchased from me.

I suspect that this kid, according to what the article says, was under a lot of stress from all his current activities, as well as working towards his goals. It isn't uncommon for those in high school or college to use prescription medication, energy drinks, or lots of caffeine, to stay awake and give them the energy [they believe] they need to function.

He was either looking for a way to stay active, to accomplish his responsibilities, or to take a break from these responsibilities. From what the article describes, he was on something akin to "bath salts" or angel dust, which would explain his behavior and tolerance for falling. It's hard to really grasp how somebody is under those drugs if you've never seen it, but I, having seen it, can say, it isn't an enjoyable or safe experience. People under the influence of those types of drugs, can be very dangerous, because they go into these sporadic and violent spurts.

Non-lethal methods had no effect, which is another reason I lean towards angel dust or "bath salts", as these provide you a high tolerance for pain. Combine this with the behavior I mentioned a little bit ago and, well, you have a panic on your hands...

We can all analyze from our chairs or phones, because there isn't the heat of the moment going on, which plays a huge role in these situations. Now, I'm not going to say this individual's death was warranted, just sort of shedding light onto it. I have my own concerns with the police, LOL.

Anyway, I wanted to throw that out there.

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Kaiser,

It's funny. When I was in high school or college, anyone who experimented with any kind of mind altering substance was automatically off limits. That said, that made it even less probable I'd know anyone who sold or trafficked in the stuff. I guess I didn't have the right "look" to be approached or something. For that matter, neither did this now deceased student. That's why I was so surprised when I read the article to learn more.

7. antibinary

There is no excuse for killing an unarmed civilian. None.

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I haven't looked into it a great deal, but there seems to be more pressure to do well nowadays, and I believe it makes folks resort to desperate measures, to keep up with this expectation. The whole energy drink culture we're seeing is just one example. Prescription medication has been used for a while, but didn't seem to come to the forefront until the late 80s (as witnessed in many of those Very Special Episodes of sitcoms). Caffeine is technically counted in this, but some folks don't like to lump coffee in with anything. Heavy drugs can provide a huge surge of energy; Meth users can stay awake for days, but move as if they had a full night of deep sleep.

End of the day... some folks are pushed beyond their limits, and that is the problem we should be looking at and discussing. It's what encourages folks to resort to stimulants and whatnot.

As for you having a look. How one looks doesn't matter very much:

One of the individuals that came through to me, was a doctor. His wife had a physical condition that marijuana seemed to help best, so he'd circumnavigate the system, which was fine, he was one of our best customers. Another one was this little bitty elderly woman, who could have easily been the stereotypical cookie-baking grandmother, but she used us for prescription pills because we were, sadly, cheaper, than her medical plan.

Not everyone who buys illegally does so for the "wrong" reasons, there can be a reason, which to them is justified. I suspect this fellow in this article, had his reasons as well.

9. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This reminds me: I work at a major university library, and I think there's a gum-ball machine on campus that sells Adderall (Amphetamine, Dextroamphetamine Mixed Salts) for a quarter.

I swear, half the students seem to be popping this stuff.

It's scary to see so many kids taking what is basically speed, just to try to do better than others, and be #1. Plus, I think the dangers of it are hugely under-stated; it can cause some very serious problems, and yet, it seems to get treated like it's a cup of coffee.

I was thinking: I wonder if one day, they'll test for it, like they do for performance enhancing drugs in sports? Would make some sense, and is not really fair to the students who can't get it, or don't care to---it has been shown to boost test scores.

Personally, I hate all this Adderall; I'd rather see people get stoned, and have fun from time to time, and study and live in some degree of moderation and balance. Not this hyper frenzy.