1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News N. Carolina may Let Clerks Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays and Interracial Couples

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by HuskyPup, Jun 2, 2015.

1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, it looks like despite what the Governor wants, the rest of the Republicans in the Senate and House think otherwise, and NC may actually go ahead with this...the Senate has already over-ridden the governors veto, so now, onto the house....where it looks like they have enough votes to do the same.

These are scary times, and also very sad times.

North Carolina law lets magistrates refuse marriage licenses to gay and interracial couples.

And this is once again another reason I simply don't trust Republicans on issues of gender or racial equality, and in general...sure, the Governor said one thing, but for all he knew, he just said it because he knew he'd get his veto overturned anyway. This is a mean-spirited bill, and typical of the latest round of right-wing bigotry.

#1 HuskyPup, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Re: N. Carolina may Let Clerks Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays and Interracial Coupl

Interracial gay orgy is the only way to protest this.

3. CyclingFan

Re: N. Carolina may Let Clerks Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays and Interracial Coupl

Can't wait to hear more about how both parties are just the same and how conservatives are pro lgbt rights.

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

If Governor McCrory is worth his salt, he'll take this to court as being unconstitutional.

5. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

To be honest, I never really thought North Carolina would do something like this to an extreme. Guess I was wrong.

6. africanFlower

I can't even...

7. TwoWays

Good old North Carolina! I love the state I live in! :bang:

Thank god I live in a more liberal, democratic county and city.

8. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people

let me ask,
    if any of you were currently in a job, and it suddenly came up that you had to grant rights and services to an organization that was 100% against anything homosexual, assuming that you needed the job to support your family, what would you do.
    Would you grant those rights and services knowing full well that you were undermining what you personally thought was right, or would you quit.
    Im not saying I agree with this but the reality is that these people took these jobs before Gay Marriage was a consideration, now if it is seriously against their personal belief system how is it handled?
    The best I can come up with is to hire at least one person per office that is not offended by issuing the license.
    I always try to look at both sides of an issue and understand both sides.
    I don't think they should be forced to issue for those that have had the position for however many years, however any new people hired to fill that position should be aware that it will be something that they have to do. they can accept the job or move on.

9. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

That's ridiculous. O.O

10. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people

whats ridiculous

11. ZenMusic

What I want to know is if it is legal to deny service to interracial couples in this part of the US?

12. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

The same argument could have been used for magistrates in the Jim Crow South to deny marriage licenses to interracial couples back in the day. They decided to work for the government, and one of their obligations to the county and state is to give out marriage licenses. By denying same sex couples, they are in turn violating their oath to uphold the Constitution of the United States.

13. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

The title. That "N. Carolina may Let Clerks Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays and Interracial Couples". Not anything you said.

14. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people

and the title saying inter racial couples is misleading.
    if you consider the number of inter racial marriages that have taken place without any question in the state, it leads one to believe that the inter racial part is just being thrown in with the hope of gaining more support against the bill.
    Ridiculous is trying to tie gay rights into the rights that blacks had to fight for. Not at all the same thing or for the same reasons.
    I said I don't actually agree with the law, but I also don't want all of the little fights to over shadow those things that are really important. and like I said, if Billy Bob does not want to issue a license to a gay couple, then just make sure that someone is there that will. When Billy Bob retires or chokes on a possum bone at dinner, then his replacement must be willing to issue to anyone.
    It can be done quietly and without a public fight.

15. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

But the bill would allow them to deny right to any couple, for any religious reason. That's pretty broad; in fact, ludicrously broad. They could also deny them because they were Jewish, or whatever else...this bill very much crosses the line of human decency.

And I doubt it will stand up in the courts.

Also, another reason I support the SPLC, and the ACLU.

16. Sebulba

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

I think N.C. is a most digusting state. as are the rest of the former confederate states it seems to me that these states are most offensive at being equal. i unfortunately live in one of these pinheaded legislations. im disgusted that these states are still stuck in the 1840s!

GET WITH THE TIMES! the confederacy is no more! you had your chance! you lost!

17. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people

can you show any religious basis that would prohibit Jews from marrying, or any other reason.
    the only real reason that someone could claim on a religious basis right now is same sex marriage. and that is a bit of a stretch. Personally, I would find the person that refused to issue the license, then maybe spend a couple weeks stalking them with a camera and take pictures of them doing their thing, like, drinking, maybe adultery, maybe touching children in the wrong way. Im pretty sure those same people are not free from sin.

---------- Post added 2nd Jun 2015 at 05:56 PM ----------

I don't actually notice that when I go south.
    on the other hand I have noticed that the northern states have bent so far over to look perfect that they are now discriminating against white males at an alarming rate.

18. Sebulba

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

im basing this off of various maps i have seen on which states are opposed to various things. they often times nearly match these states. im sorry but thats what ive seen.

19. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

It's not legal in any part of the us

20. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

No, being LGBT is NOT the only reason; plenty of far-right Christians have odd beliefs about Jews, not to mention Muslims, Hindus and Atheists, and believe only Christians should marry. I think your being shortsighted here in thinking that this would only ever apply to the LGBT community. And even so, the language of the law is so broad as to allow just about anything; after all, it was Christianity that was used to justify slavery, and also to stop inter-racial marriage until 1967...not that long ago.

So I totally disagree, and think this is a mean, stupid law. If you like it fine, but you're not gonna make me like it.

And as a white male, I've never felt discriminated against...quite the contrary. Not here, and not back up north in Michigan.