1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Study: Sexual minority men are more likely to graduate from college.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BobObob, Jun 2, 2015.

1. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Business insider reported on a new study that shows that, although straight women graduate college with a bachelor's degree at a higher rate than straight men, that trend is reversed among sexual minorities. It found that of the four groups, straight men, straight women, sexual minority men, and sexual minority women, the sexual minority men graduated at the highest rate. Sexual minority men graduated at a 58.8% higher rate than straight men.

Any thoughts on why that might be?

EDIT: It occurred to me that one partial explanation may be that high school is a difficult time for gay men, which hurts them academically. But for the ones who manage to do well enough to go to college/university in spite of that, things tend to get a lot better for them due to a better environment for LGBT people, which helps them academically.

#1 BobObob, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  2. xylaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That's impressive because I'm Latino and clearly a part of this sexual minority. I'm as curious about the fact that it applies to me than the unexpected results of of this study.
    If anything, minorities have to work harder because they have much more to prove and less to lose. For them and myself, we make do with what we have and pursue our fewer options with more passion and with last-chance attitude especially if the person is a first generation college student. The drive to be first is made more powerful an ambition in this case.
    My sexuality plays a role in this because loving men makes me feel that I'm inferior and deficient in some way. That stigma and self hate may cause some to compensate for it by succeeding in college. That success proves to the person that they are still worthwhile and strong. Whereas they struggled with inadequacy they now have pride.
    Thats my take but clearly I'm biased. Would be cool to see a more enlightened opinion and thanks for posting!

3. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Gay men without a degree are less likely to be out

4. LibertyValance

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Gays getting 'dem A's

I think I remember reading a while back that many Gay men feel the need to compensate for their self/societal-perceived lack of conventional masculinity by attaining success in other aspects of life. This translates into exceptional academic and career achievement, hence why one finds a higher proportion of gays in high finance and other prestigious positions than one would statistically expect. I think the book was called "The Velvet Rage" if I recall correctly.

5. gasian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It might also be the need for acceptance. If you're the head of some giant company, are people really going to care which gender you like? By going to college, and making it big, I(as a minority) can prove that I am more than just my sexuality. I can prove that I am not just the stereotype of the drugged up gay guy who dresses in drag, parties, and sleeps with all his male friends. I can prove that even with this "disease" or with this "sin" or with this (insert denotative noun here), I can succeed.

6. Gandee

Gandee Guest

I'm sorry but :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
    Sadly the statistics don't apply to me at all! I'm still struggling with my degree!

---------- Post added 3rd Jun 2015 at 11:15 AM ----------

Anyway I won't put much faith in this study, it could be sample error!

7. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not distracted by significant others as often.

8. Sienrar

Scholarships, colleges, etcetera are usually biased towards minority groups. LGBT people are able to better pay for their tuition + more entrances to college = higher rate of LGBT graduation.

Colleges kind of piss me off now, a lot of them basically outlaw speaking out against the majority's ideals, yet they are supposed to be an open forum for all ideas to be scrutinized by others.

9. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    not really a huge surprise. they know how much money it takes to look fabulous when you leave the front door of house to walk across that perfectly manicured lawn to pick up the mail. They need a good job to afford this..

for the over sensitive, please dont get butt hurt about this post.
    I am personally back in school for my 3rd degree right now.

10. Fred89

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Do you suppose anyone cares what a janitor's sexual preference is?

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I mostly agree with you. However, I wouldn't necessarily pick high finance. I might be more prone to pick high paying positions such as law and health occupations. Parts of the business and corporate world still pay a lot of attention to maintaining an image. The white picket fence and kids have not totally gone away

I was thinking of a few reasons: (a) they're not there to meet a significant other that fast and tie the knot after college, (b) they're probably not as involved in campus activities and intramurals which could require a great chunk of time and invite the additional socializing that goes with that, (c) I'd bet many score well on intelligence tests and are well suite to cerebral pursuits, (d) there are probably many who are majoring in something that they enjoy and are more likely to complete it than others who are doing it because it is expected of them or because they didn't know what to major in, and (e) there's less pressure on them from the beer guzzling, hell raising segments of the male population to get into a trade and get some dirt under their fingernails.

I had one college friend from group (a) who did real well in high school and struggled in college because he was already sort of checked out and had gotten married right before the beginning of senior year. I couldn't believe he struggled as much as he did because we went to comparable high schools and had comparable grades. I just think he became a suburban dolt by the time college drew to a close.

The fact that sexual minority men finish college, unless bogged down with mental anguish and difficult family situations that make college unfeasible, makes a lot of sense to me. Those are just a handful of factors that contribute to it. There are probably even others.

#11 Tightrope, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  12. CyclingFan

I dunno. Is he secretly a math prodigy?

13. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe other janitors who work with them and are worried about being hit on just like professional sports players worry more about the dynamics in the locker room than they worry about the dynamics on the playing field.

---------- Post added 19th Jun 2015 at 08:41 PM ----------

I think I get this. And I got it quickly!

14. CyclingFan

Rule 34 says there's already slashfic for this. :roflmao:

15. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is anyone else concerned about the statistic for the sexual minority women?!

16. Fred89

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Certainly not, but he wishes he was. He's quite a history buff, but only in certain areas, and fairly good with grammar and writing. Is gay men being good at math a new stereotype?

---------- Post added 20th Jun 2015 at 12:01 AM ----------

Not if he's a modest guy that doesn't flirt they're not. Work is work. There's a time and place.

---------- Post added 20th Jun 2015 at 12:02 AM ----------

I think I missed the joke. Is this why I'm a janitor?

#16 Fred89, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  17. CyclingFan

I was riffing on https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Will_Hunting

Have you seen this movie? Might be a little before your time, sine I think you were 8 when it came out?

---------- Post added 19th Jun 2015 at 10:15 PM ----------

Btw, my bf and I have done for work: funeral director, retail clerk, grocery bagger, truck driver, health care analyst, nurse, banking analyst, help desk, management in health care org, waiter, dishwasher.

None of those were ever our identities. Nor is the fact that we are two guys who like each other.

18. Sarii

Looks like they aren't getting the D(s)

19. Marcy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    YES! Why is it so low?!?!

20. Fred89

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I like my job, it's part of my identity, but has nothing to do with being gay