1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News The despicable tactics used by major UK charities to fundraise

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by 741852963, Jun 6, 2015.

1. 741852963

Now this isn't news to me, but it is sickening watching the video nonetheless;

'We don't care if she's 98... she's not dead, so get her cash': MoS exposes tactics of cynical call centre used by Britain's biggest charities including Oxfam, Cancer Research UK and the RSPCA  | Daily Mail Online

Having been on the receiving end of such calls and also from street fundraisers I know the high-pressure tactics these people use, never taking no for an answer. I've often thought about how this must affect the vulnerable or the elderly , and seeing this evidence has really upset me.

It just utterly destroys the whole notion of "charity". Charity is something wholesome - this is about as evil and downright crooked as I can imagine. I know some of these individuals might see themselves as "Robin Hood" (although I guess most are just in it for the money), but in reality they are robbing the poor to pay the poor. How on earth does that help society?

Charities often justify the use of such call centres stating they are "necessary" or quoting the amount of revenue they provide (funnily no mention of how that revenue has been ruthlessly blackmailed out of people). What they utterly fail to realise is the amount of fundraising they are actually turning away by not having ethical fundraising techniques. See here.

I used to give a lot to charity, now I'm afraid to say I don't bother for fear of telephone harrassment. Instead I'll make one off payments to charities on the strict condition that they do not store any of my personal details, or contact me.

2. IcarusRising

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Is this not illegal!?!? They're harassing people AND soliciting them for money! Even if it is for "charity" there HAS to be laws that are being broken.

3. Knave

I thought that the telemarketers trying to get donations here in Canada were bad. But I'll have to remember those keywords for getting removed from their lists. The worst thing we have here are the telemarketers who will outright lie in order to get money though we do get the phone calls where they won't take no for an answer as well.

We got a phone call one time where they asked 15 times if we wanted to donate and when we finally told them no and not to call us again the operator replied "Well it's just all about you isn't it." The worst part about that one was that it was the police foundation that was soliciting.

4. 741852963

Unfortunately not, there is very little the general public can do to stop such calls.

They have the option of registering with the Telephone Preference Service (note the onus is on them to do this), but that does not necessarily stop the calls coming through: Charities may call supporters registered with the Telephone Preference Service | Third Sector

They can be incredibly pushy.

Once had a lady who ignored my statement that I wasn't interested in making a donation FOUR TIMES, instead deciding to respond each time with statistics of how many children were dieing and how I should be helping. Its emotional blackmail.