1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Syrian activists pledge support for Caitlyn Jenner

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by 741852963, Jun 8, 2015.

1. 741852963

2. yayforthelgbt

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    This is pretty awesome, and refreshing.

3. blueberrykisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That doesn't really sound like a 'pledge for support', they are directing attention to their own situation by using her...that is not a 'good 4 u caitlyn, #LGBT' message.

4. 741852963

I think it can be read both ways.

But the fact that they are essentially putting themselves at risk by even mentioning a Western transgender celebrity (in a country very critical of Western culture and LGBT people alike) to me indicates that this is a positive message, not a outright criticism.

Plus there use of free (free of any scare quote punctuation) indicate that they too see Caitlyn as free of living a burden. It is a sign that they appreciate and have at least a basic understanding of what transpeople go through which I think is a big sign.

You have to remember this is a country where gay people are being thrown from buildings to their death by ISIS. This group is obviously anti-ISIS, and presumably by that measure a lot more supportive of LGBT rights.

5. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Well, Iran carries out the most sex change operations in the world. It is actually legal in Iran so I'm not sure if being transgender is actually seen as a Western concept in the Middle East.

#5 KyleD, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  6. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Well now. There are certianly worse things they could be pledging their support to. This is nice to hear

7. xylaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    At first I thought it was because they actually accept transgenders a lot more than homosexuals like in Iran, but maybe that's not the case. In Iran, gay people are forced to change their gender. But that's good news depending on how you view it.
    The gay people pushed to change their gender - BBC News

8. 741852963

Sorry to double quote but I've been reading a bit more.

This definitely sounds a positive message of support rather than a cynical critique of the attention she has been getting, as this group of activists have leant their support to quite a few famous people (Angelina Jolie, Robin Williams etc) as per the below:

Syrian activists come out in support of Caitlyn Jenner - BBC Newsbeat

I see a point about them "hijacking" the publicity bandwagon, but I think they are a worthy cause considering what they are going through, plus this isn't in anyway a nasty or controversial stunt; its friendly and positive plus helps to put a human face to the people affected.

They are essentially sharing their experiences with the rest of the world via discussing the very popular culture the rest of the world (and I am sure they to) is interested in. It seems very apt actually!

9. ouji

ouji Guest

That's awesome! I applaud them for their stance.

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with 741852963. We need to meet them where they are at. They are being sweeties, and we should be nice to them.

11. ApexxShadow

This is nice to hear :3