1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Black rights activist "misrepresents" herself as black

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by 741852963, Jun 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 741852963

This has been a quite interesting story today, if not a rather tragic one:

Civil rights activist Rachel Dolezal misrepresented herself as black, claim parents | World news | The Guardian

Rachel Dolezal's deception: her 'black' identity doesn't make sense

Now I am all for people being able to live their lives how they want, and in an identity they feel comfortable with.

The problem is here though is this woman is living her life as though she belongs to a discriminated ethnic minority; that is cultural appropriation. Particularly with her giving lectures re afro hair speaking from her own experiences (whilst secretly transforming her naturally straight hair into an afro). It is obviously quite insensitive.

Now I really don't want to judge here, as it seems she faces a lot of problems with her identity, but it is a fascinating story nonetheless. I hope Rachel can find away to reconcile things with her family, and put things right for the community she was representing.

2. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I saw this story. I mean, I honestly wanted to laugh the first time I saw it. She doesn't look black at all--she looks like a white person trying to fit stereotypes. The fact that she could get into a high-ranking position in the NAACP is insane. People are just now finding out she's not black?

Nonetheless, it seems like she might have some kind of mental issues; like you said, problems with her identity. It's kind of sad. I hope that in her work at the NAACP, she only helped the black community, even if she was never really a member of it.

3. Acm

Acm Guest

Yeah I feel like she probably has some issues to work out, everything I read just screamed attention seeking to me. If she wanted to help the black community she should've done it without lying, it feels to me like she lied her way into a powerful position that could've gone to someone more fit for the position.

It also bothers me that some people are comparing her to transgender people :dry:

4. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Poor woman needs psychiatric help.

5. 741852963

To be fair not all black and black mixed race people are immediately noticeable as having black ancestry. A colleague of mine surprised me in mentioning that his father was black, I would never have known on my own (but he did have some features in hindsight).

As particularly highlighted in this cringeworthy incident:

[YOUTUBE]2ch9SQ4uXPU[/YOUTUBE]

"co-opting" :eusa_doh:

But in this particular case, with the evidence provided by the parents (and her parents both clearly being white), it is clear beyond reasonable doubt that this woman is not black mixed-race (unless you followed the "one drop" method).

Hopefully yes. I fear though that you will probably have 50% of people praising her work, and 50% angry at her misrepresenting herself meaning any progress she helped to make is probably going to be countered by the tensions this has whipped up.

Very true. It was unnecessary and appears to stem more from her personal desire to become black than out of motive for helping black people. It would be a lot different if she had "gone under the radar" as an experiment temporarily to appreciate what it is like being black (see "Black Like Me").

You are right to be bothered, I see the frustration. Trans people do not transition for personal gain, to boost their profile or their careers. They transition due to that being their core identity, something immutable.

6. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She doesn't even look black... Maybe she's transethnic though

7. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not going to say whether or not she looks "black", but it pains me to see that she lied about this for so long. She may have problems she needs to sort out, but that doesn't discount all that she did for the NAACP and the black community. The NAACP is a wonderful organisation, and she represented it well, black or white.

8. ZenMusic

I died of laughter when I first read this. First we were servants, then we were cannon fodder, then we were target practice (we still are), and now we're costumes for white peoole to put on and take off as they please. Bitches think they can put on some tired ass braids and some fake tan and call themselves black? No, ma'am.

9. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She is not comfortable with being privileged in this day and age so she lies that she isn't. As a person who is part of many different minorities and has actually had to deal with racism and homophobia, I have little sympathy for her. That white privilege must be such a burden. There is nothing wrong with being an ally to black people.

10. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Costumes? Now? The past did it much worse than she did it...

11. Foz

Foz Guest

I've been waiting a while for something like this to happen, I knew it was only a matter of time until some social justice warrior 'blacked up' and pretended to be oppressed.

Here's where she was unmasked.

"Are you African American?", "I don't understand the question". Stupid woman.

[YOUTUBE]_7Gb9kK8HGk[/YOUTUBE]

#11 Foz, Jun 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  12. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Is it wrong of me to laugh at this? Sorry but it's kind of funny :lol: but still obviously not right

13. Rapha Lover

OMG!
    Skin color it's not gender that you ''consider yourself''. One thing it's a person who don't identified with your gender and see itself like opposite gender, other its a white person consider itself a black people! Gender it's a social construction but skin color not!

14. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :lol:

15. Gen

Gen

I don't meant to offend, but I genuinely cannot tell if this is sarcasm. Particularly the last two sentence.

16. robotman

I have read about this.

I don't really know what to say but I am not really bothered by it as much as other people, she is just being who she wants to be and she seems to be a very open person and hopes that everyone is treated fairly. She went about it in the wrong way as no one should deny who they are but I honestly don't think she meant bad, I just think that she felt that everyone should be treated equal. That is the way I took it anyways, I could be completely wrong.

17. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think any good she may have done doesn't compare to the harm she has done by trying to use an identity that isn't hers and the racism of a white person disguising themselves as another race. (I don't even get why someone would do it temporarily. I mean if I want to know the experience of black people there are plenty of black people out there talking about just that. Why would I go ask a white person who pretended to be something else?) But I do think she has some serious psychological issues, even if that doesn't excuse her behavior.

18. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because clearly someone can't advocate for a racial minority without being of it herself. and her hairstyles... eugh. I'd be more offended by her supposedly sincere blackface getup than just admitting she's white as a viking and cares about other people. >.<

19. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Tbh, I kinda feel bad for her (i only feel slight anger and would go as far to call her "stupid" for doing this) but for her to think she needs to be someone else (a different skin color entirely) in order to help black people is just makes me feel like she neds help in a mental-type of way

20. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.