1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Presidential Playlist? Hillary Releases 2016 Playlist on Spotify.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BryanM, Jun 14, 2015.

1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Full Story here: Hillary Clinton campaign releases Spotify playlist - CNNPolitics.com

The full list of songs on the playlist is as follows:
    Believer - American Authors
    The Fighter - Gym Class Heroes ft. Ryan Tedder
    Roar - Katy Perry
    Break Free - Ariana Grande ft. Zedd
    Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)
    Best Day of My Life - American Authors
    Happy (from Despicable Me 2) - Pharrell Williams
    Let's Get Loud - Jennifer Lopez
    Pumpin' Blood - NONONO
    Wake Up Everybody - John Legend, The Roots, Common, and Melanie Fiona
    Brave - Sara Bareilles
    Fighters - Kris Allen
    Beautiful Day - Jon Bon Jovi
    Vivir Mi Vida - Marc Anthony

So to keep this thread from becoming a debate about Hillary, I just wanted to ask what you all think of the idea of creating playlists like this for candidates to play at their rallies and so on? I think from a social media standpoint, it can be a very effective strategy, and very effective of portraying your campaign's ideals through song lyrics.

2. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

That I f***ing hate politics.

Sorry, I just can't stand this superficial bullshit. Not one iota of it. Tell us how you'll run the f***ing country, not what music you listen to.
    (And that goes every good-for-nothing candidate, not just Hillary Clinton).

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She has told us how she will run the country: Clinton strikes populist tone in making case for 2016 campaign - CNNPolitics.com

I think you're being overly critical to the point of cynicism. You also didn't really answer the question in a way that would be constructive, either. This "superficial bullshit" as you put it may actually help more people actually give a damn about politics, if they choose to get civically engaged. If they were brought in by superficial reasons but stay for the substance, what's the difference? At this point, any attempt to get more people educated about our civics system would be more than appreciated.

4. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You asked us what we felt, I gave you the honest answer.

Yes, I know she has. And I want her as a public servant to elaborate again and again and again and spread the word constantly to everyone on every level. And yes, I realize she already does that. But it is this superficial garbage that plagues the American political system. It is run by a media of soundbytes and people spewing opinions left and right (often purely for the sake of profit), and I cannot stand it. And what has this done to voter turnout, then? No, I would rather sacrifice the interest of wayfarers than go further into this pathetic system that has assembled over the years.

And let me be clear again that my intention is to attack the entire political system and all those supporting it in this criticism, and not just Hillary Clinton.

#4 Browncoat, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  5. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yup... Politics is a game, and you have to play it... It's not her fault specifically for trying to play the game well.

About the music... Personally I think it's a little silly, but it may be effective in getting support and she can associate herself with famous songs to stick in people's minds...

#5 Austin, Jun 14, 2015
  6. 741852963

My thoughts:

GOD THAT IS CORNEY!

But unfortunately, I hate to say it, but its kind of what the world expects from American politics. The rallies, the ticker tape, the ridiculously over the top presidential debates with all the shiny banners and dramatic intros.

Unfortunately it is creeping in over here (as of 2010, glossy overhyped televised leader's debates are apparently now compulsory events). Thanks America! :lol:

Also....I think it will probably work slightly in her favour. Despite her own age I think she is really going for the youth vote and she does seems very in touch in terms of social media (much like Obama) - see the whole Hillary plane meme she started for example.

It's a shame her playlist is so :***: though. Just rather generic inoffensive chirpy American millennial songs. I'd like her more if she snuck some Slayer or something heavy in there for a laugh! :icon_wink

7. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah American politics makes me cringe. All this enthusiasm for a politician seems so strange to me.

8. RainDreamer

I wonder why people are so fussy about a play list either way. It is not even her play list. It is her campaign's playlist. The thing is, without a doubt, vetted and carefully picked by the campaign team. I am guessing someone got an intern listen to music and then pick some catchy tune and put that up for little publicity with no cost. I know I would do that if I work for them.

9. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep you cannot put blame on politicians exactly without understanding how politics works. IT is a complicated process and takes a team effort. I don't want to go into full essay mode but yeah i always try to see it from their perspective until i judge their actions.

10. AlamoCity

I guess when someone releases a curated version of the music they "like" I always assume they pick and choose songs to fit the persona they want to create. Unless someone steals her MP3/iPhone/iTunes account and we can see her "uncurated" playlist, I assume that's not the full breadth of their music likes :lol:.

Kind of like how people who "like" music on Facebook probably avoid liking music that's considered "unpopular" or doesn't fit their image (e.g., a guy liking a One Direction song).

11. LiquidSwords

Obviously this playlist has been selected by her campaign team, probably with the help of some focus groups, because they think it will resonate best with the voters she's targeting. More so than if she put out a playlist of music that she actually enjoys and listens to which might at least have been slightly interesting

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

She's doomed to lose now.

No Beyonce?

Who Run the World? Not Hillary-- and, okay, I'm leaving, LOL.

13. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

It's not a bad campaign strategy. To me it comes off as a 60 year old woman's transparent attempt to get the kids to think she's hip, but hey, whatever get's people's attention~ It would be ironic if some of these artists are anti-hillary lol. If she's clever she'll have her people reach out to some of them and actually get them involved in the campaign, get their endorsement and have them perform at Speeches and that type of thing.

14. guitar

If I were voting just based on musical taste, Hillary would not get my vote. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Prime Minister Harper in Canada would post his playlists, usually chalk full of Beatles and Van Halen. I'm sure other politicians do this all over the world. It's kinda neat - makes politics more interesting than just platforms & policies.

15. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was thinking that. It's cause she understands in order to win she has to appeal to the younger generation, and what better way to do that then with a bunch of cheap obnoxious pop

16. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    She should have added "Work Bitch" by Britney.

17. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Still better than the time Gordon Brown said he was an Arctic Monkeys fan.

Still waiting for a candidate to use King of Kings by Motorhead as a campaign song.

18. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huh, I can't say I even recognize more than two artists on that whole list. Where's the stuff from the 70s-80s-90s? Where's Joan Jett? Sheesh, adding Pat Benetar would be an improvement. Or Janis Joplin. Or some of the Jazz greats, like Billie Holiday.

It's a pretty boring list, but I'll still vote for her if she gets the nomination against ANY of the Republicans running.

But I seriously hope her own tastes in music aren't that bad/limited...kinda makes me worry!

I can't tell who she's trying to recruit with this list...people with a limited taste in music? I'm confused. Maybe this is supposed to be her effort to appeal to a younger crowd?

As a cynical gen-Xer and 80s sort, she's not gonna be getting much of the anti-Reagan/ former punk-rocker/hipster crowd, with a list like that. She'd be laughed out of the Baltimore arts district! (And Philly, DC and NYC, for that matter) That list is like hipster-repellent, no matter what the age. :wink:

Now if she included The Dead Kennedys, I'd be impressed.

#18 HuskyPup, Jun 14, 2015
  19. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :lol:

20. Justinian20

Well I know she is trying to get the support of young people with this playlist. I think Hilary Clinton needs some older music as her playlist. Just to convince people she's a presidential woman worthy of her glory. Where's all the girl power songs. That would be a great playlist. Start off with I'm Coming Out by Diana Ross, cause she is coming out to play the presidential game. Do something different with a song that inspires people to be different, that would be the second song. I don't know what song though. Add in less pop and maybe even Punk should be in there. If she wants people to vote for her. I suggest a wider variety of music to break the barrier. She don't need to be hip to the young crowd, she can be hipster and even have unknown songs in her playlist.

I bet Tony Abbott would have a weird playlist if he ever did anything, I can imagine like super old school country music for him plus some folk and genres a lot of older people would remember like the forties and thirties music.