1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Obamacare - ACA - on the table

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Tightrope, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I saw this headline. This is huge.

Obamacare's final test: if it survives the Supreme Court, it's here to stay

And sorry, but I'm much more concerned about this than I am about same-sex marriage because not everyone out there wants to get married nor will they find mates if they do, but EVERYONE needs access to health care. Please give this a look.

I am nervous about this. If it goes, those with preexisting conditions, even if they can pay the premiums, will be out in the cold. Preexisting conditions can be huge (cancer, HIV, Crohn's disease, etc.) or they can be more manageable (hypertension, cholesterol, and mental health management) which probably won't do a person in before they reach Medicare age and, more often than not, they are of the more manageable variety. Health insurers have never underwritten those with the more manageable conditions. It's not like getting high risk car insurance, which the states require be provided.

I am aghast at the neanderthal hatred toward this legislation. Social Security got off to a rocky start back in its heyday. And so did the ACA. But it needs to remain in one form or another. I didn't know what to make of Obama when he was an unknown back in 2008 but, after enacting this legislation, he has had my support and my respect. It was the right thing to do ... for EVERYONE.

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm almost certain both same sex marriage and the Affordable Care Act will both be affirmed by the Supreme Court.

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is super critical with an impending election. Dems want to affirm it. Republicans all want to strike it down.

That's why Romney made me so sick. Because he was in Massachusetts, he had to cave in, so to speak, though that's probably not the ideology he himself held, I'm sure. At the national level, he promised to repeal it the minute he got into office. Thankfully, Mitt was not admitted to the White House. I am trying to see Jeb Bush's position on this. It looks like he will be the GOP candidate.

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Being realistic, Jeb Bush will have to be against ACA. Otherwise, I don't think he'll be able to win the Republican nomination for President.

And I'll predict this as well: if Republicans win Congress and the White House in 2016, their first act will be killing ACA.

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What a conundrum, though - choosing between Hillary and Jeb. Scary.

6. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm aghast, too, but not surprised. The Republicans hate anyone but the rich, after all.

I honestly have mixed feelings. I wish we had gotten a system more like other first world nations have. That said...I have to give Obama credit for actually doing something. Discussions of health care reform has been a part of every :***: election cycle since at least Clinton's first term. That has been over 20 years now, and at last someone did something. Maybe not perfect, but at least it's something. Maybe in 20 years we'll finally get a system like the rest of the first world nations have enjoyed for decades. We'll see.

I do have to wonder: if the Republicans hate ACA so much, how would they have reacted if a European system had been implemented?

---------- Post added 15th Jun 2015 at 02:11 PM ----------

For me it won't be a tough choice. Well, it will be tough in that I won't be happy, but I have resigned myself to the thought that the people who are viable candidates for President are generally not the people I'd choose.

At least we must look at this way: if Hillary does win, we'll be able to get new use out of Clinton jokes. Like this one:

Q. Why did Arkansas have neither Thanksgiving, nor Hallowe'en in 1993?
    A. The Witch moved to Washington DC, and she took the Turkey with her.​

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like it.

8. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the ACA is good in a few ways but also deeply flawed and needs more work. You can deny it all you want but it is no secret that people lost their insurance because of Obamacare and have to pay more in stuff because of Obamacare too. IT is not the best thing and is one of the biggest reasons I think a lot of democrats were defeated in the past elections. Sure it has its benefits but I won't cry over it being ruled unconstitutional. We need a better system than Obamacare presents and Obama helped the democrats especially in deep red states commit political suicide by forcing through Obamacare. Seriously when the entitle party opposes it your gonna have a huge backlash with voters.

But I admit Sarah Palin crying about death panels among other theories did not help either. So let Obamacare go I say.

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It may be flawed, but for those that it gives insurance to it is better than nothing. Also, for those with preexisting conditions, it is better than nothing.

10. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Affordable Care Act has helped over 16 millions people gain insurance through the marketplace, medicare expansion, young adults staying on their parents plans, and has dropped the number of uninsured americans from 18% to less than 12%. In fact, because of how many people who gained insurance, it can be estimated the ACA helped save about 40,000 lives that would have otherwise been lost because of not having insurance. The Affordable Cara Act is working, and it would be a huge mistake to undo it either by court decision or by legislation just because a large part of America is ignorant on the facts, and does not want to have health insurance coverage. Democratic candidates actually lost in 2014 because they didn't side enough with the President. They ran as Republican-Light and lost to Tea Party crazies. The two Democratic candidates (Dick Durbin and Gary Peters) that ran the closest to President Obama, his healthcare plan, and his other policies, both won by double digits, even in states that elected Republican Governors. By 2016, "Obamacare" will be a winning issue for whoever the Democratic candidate is, and it would be foolish to let Republicans take healthcare coverage away from millions of people.

11. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No I agree the law is great in many ways but your telling me if Kay Hagan, Mary Landrieu, Mark, Pryor, Mark Begich, Mark Udall, Russ Feinhold and Blanche Lincoln fully embraced Obama they would of won reelection. I honesty cannot believe that but I agree that politicians did not have the problem in deeply blue states such as Michigan and Illinois as you mentioned. But those who did lost were honestly poor candidates too.

12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, the ACA has a pretty name, but neither it nor the old system are what we need. It all reeks of insurance company money. I'm normally very fiscally conservative but I'd prefer a full public health system to this mandatory purchasing CF. At one point I was getting free doctor visits while treating my melanoma when I didn't have insurance. Now that I do have it, $20 co-pay. The only reason I can't complain is because my mom's paying for my health insurance; I don't make enough money to cover all my bills. The right-wing part of me says that's my fault, so whatever. But "buy this thing we've been bribed to push or else" is not what endears me to a gigantic government program.

13. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Basically, the only lesson to be taken from King V. Burwell is how much the Republicans hate the working class. They're challenging health insurance subsidies for millions of people based on nothing more than a typo. Not to mention, Congressional Republicans are bracing for the amount of backlash they're going to face if millions of people lose their health coverage over their little stunt over four little words.

14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes and yes. So true. A work in progress rather than something to be discarded.

---------- Post added 15th Jun 2015 at 08:24 PM ----------

The erosion of the working class and middle class is one of the worst things to have happened to the U.S. The worse that gets, the angrier people become. I can't say I blame them.

15. CyclingFan

I've worked in health care, including at insurance companies, for most of my 19 years in the corporate world. Those policies that were not renewable were hot garbage. Anyone that had one of those and needed anything remotely major was going to be on the hook for major money. And if you want to talk "death panels", I think you should check out various health care company decisions in "high dollar claims".

The reforms in the ACA are actually broadly popular, and have led to the lowest rates of medical services inflation that we've had in decades. Check out how popular KyNect is in Kentucky. People love it when they don't realize it's the Kentucky exchange, established under the ACA.

Is it perfect? Of course not. Would I like it to be better? Absolutely. I think it's insane that we spend twice as much as the rest of the industrialized world for, at best, the same results. Discarding it leaves us with nothing. Build on it from here.

---------- Post added 15th Jun 2015 at 09:43 PM ----------

Oh, and democrats lost in 2014 because not enough democratic voters turn out for non presidential year elections. Just look at the participation numbers and the demographics and party affiliations.

16. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And let's also include "does not want OTHERS to have health insurance coverage." This topic can start some serious arguments with friends and acquaintances who were and are against it because health insurance is something they've taken for granted. I don't get too heated under the collar over a lot of political issues but I do for this one because it's not really a political issue as much as it is a public health policy issue. I also grew up being uninsured and didn't even understand what that meant because I was lucky, along with family members, to not have anything happen other than going to the doctor once a year.

17. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only people who lost coverage when ACA went into effect were people who had really shitty, substandard policies that didn't actually provide any meaningful coverage. There were a lot of those prior to ACA; people paid their premiums, and when they went to claim, they discovered there were a million carefully worded loopholes that allowed the insurance companies to deny coverage.

ACA set a minimum standard for care, so many of the crappy policies were discontinued. These people lost their crappy coverage, but nearly all had available better coverage, for the same or substantially less money. Some flatly refused because they were so hell-bent on opposing Obama that they refused to look to see what options where there... so instead, they screamed about having no coverage instead of looking into it and discovering they could get better care for less money. Those who did look into it found this to overwhelmingly be the case.

It is true that people lost their regular doctor in some cases. But that's a relatively small price to pay in the long run.

The bill is highly flawed; it's full of corrupt bullshit, and you have Joe Lieberman and his shady, greedy wife Hadassah to thank for a lot of the problems; she sits on the board of a whole bunch of insurance companies and Joe personally killed the public option (which would have provided a government-run option, similar to Medicare) because his piece of shit wife, owned by the insurance companies, got paid off to block it. There's a ton of other graft and shadiness because the insurance companies spent *800 million* bribing members of congress to water the bill down and get stuff added and changed.

That's our completely corrupt system at work.

The bill was the best possible bill that could be gotten through Congress when you have a bunch of shady, greedy people taking bribes running our country. But it's way better than what we had before.

And hopefully, if the Supremes uphold it, the loser Republicans will finally give up, since there are an awful lot of people who are really happy with the bill... and they'll move on to some other way to ruin the country.

18. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I cannot imagine my own country without the National Health Service (imperfect as it is). Yes, it is expensive, but what price do you put on life and health? I know many people who would be dead were it not for our commitment to free and universal healthcare from cradle to grave. It's no exaggeration to claim that our NHS has saved millions of lives since its inception.

During the recent UK election campaign the Labour opposition attacked the government for attempting to privatise the NHS. In reality, the government wouldn't dare. Real privatisation of the NHS would be political suicide over here. Most Brits would gladly pay more tax to protect the NHS - that's how much it is loved.

I really hope the US Supreme Court affirms ACA. Access to important medical treatment shouldn't be determined by ability to pay or the technicalities of an insurance policy.

19. CyclingFan

It's funny with how expensive the NHS is in relation to how expensive health care is in the USA. Our total spending as a percentage of gdp is about twice what other nations pay.

And in fact, our federal spending as percent of gdp on health care is about what most industrialized nations spend, but to cover only a fraction of the population.

20. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep I agree I am not saying it is horrible just needs more work. Yeah I know people are so damn stupid during midterms and they create problems for the whole country because of it. I seriously want to be one of those people to goes to every neighborhood to arrest people and drag them to the polls. Nobody has a right to complain when they don't vote during midterms. Plus the majority of governors are facing election during midterms not during presidential elections which makes it even harder. All these problems are caused by stupid people.