1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News New $10 U.S. Bill to feature a woman

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by AlamoCity, Jun 17, 2015.

1. AlamoCity

For the first time since U.S. currency has been the Federal Reseve Note will a female grace a bill. Alexander Hamilton, the current person on the bill, will somewhere remain on the new bill, slated for circulation in 2020. Early pre-Federal Reserve System US paper currency did feature women, but no modern paper currency as we know it does.

Move over, Hamilton! Treasury to put woman on $10 bill

Also, list a woman you'd like to see on the bill.

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Betsy Ross will probably be mentioned. It wouldn't surprise me if she "won".

Harriet Tubman would be awesome to see, just to get rid of the white monopoly on bills.

But we all know it's going to be Beyonce.

3. Acm

Acm Guest

Harriet Tubman would be a good choice. I don't understand why they did this instead of replacing the $20 like was originally suggested, we don't really need Andrew Jackson on our currency.

4. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huh, there's quite a few I'd love to see:

The Poet Anne Sexton, would be one choice, an amazing, transformative, Pulitzer Prize winning poet who died before her time.

I'd also like to see the greatest Jazz singer ever, Billie Holiday.

~

On a more whimsical note, I wouldn't mind seeing Winona Ryder, or Joan Rivers, just to lighten things up a bit.

5. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ellen Degeneres or Rachel Maddow would be pretty cool. On a more serious note, Harriet Tubman or Betsy Ross would be excellent choices.

6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't see why this could not have been on the $20 instead. Jackson was a horrible person, and I don't think Hamilton could eclipse Jackson's scumminess... As to who I'd like to see on the bill, I'd love to see Rosa Parks or Betty Friedan on the bill.

7. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, I love the Rosa Parks idea!

Mine were a bit off the wall, admittedly, except Billie Holiday. Also, I think Bessie Smith would be a good choice. Something that celebrates a distinctly American musical form,and it's pioneers.

8. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Harriet Tubman would be my pick, as she's done the most for advancement.

In the original poll, I voted for Susan B Anthony. She'd done just as much as Tubman, and the struggles of women's rights activists need to be acknowledged and rewarded, in more than just representation.

I think Marilyn Monroe might also be a good candidate.

9. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Stupid idea. -doesn't like change-

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Dat pun.

11. Aldrick

I'm sure all the usual suspects will be trotted out. However, I really want to go in a new direction here. We obviously don't have any female Presidents to put on the bill, and so the natural inclination is to go to influential women--particularly women who were influential in fighting for Female Equality. There is also likely to be a push for it to be an African American woman, since everyone on our money are white men. The natural inclination there is for people to immediately go for someone well known in the Civil Rights Movement like a Rosa Parks figure.

There is nothing wrong with any of those selections, but I want to see things go in a different direction. The type of people we put on our money, I believe, reflects the type of people we hold in high social regard. So, for that reason, I am going to nominate Annie Easley.

Annie Easley is an unusual choice. She is largely unknown, but she is the type of person we want to hold in high social regard. She was a mathematician, computer programmer, and rocket scientist for NASA. Even today, a woman holding such a position is a rarity, but Mrs. Easley was an African American woman born in 1933 Birmingham, Alabama. She was also raised by a single mother. One can imagine how this story goes. I encourage reading the link in the previous paragraph for a brief biography on Annie Easley, or you can simply go here and read her tell her story in her own words.

So, why Annie Easley? Because she breaks down boundaries and stereotypes. We also do not tend to celebrate scientists in our country, and that is a shame. Annie Easley is the type of person who people can look up to and relate. She isn't larger than life. She is normal. She just happened to do some extraordinary things in her life, to have some exceptional talents, and a strong moral core. History only has room for a few Rosa Parks or Eleanor Roosevelt's, and much of what they have achieved is confined to history books--past achievements and glories. There could be thousands upon thousands of Annie Easley's out there, doing great things in their communities, helping break new ground, and helping to shape the future of our country through their efforts.

Our culture over values celebrity at the expense of ordinary people living lives that make a difference in the world. Her story is extraordinary primarily for the obstacles she had to overcome, but it is precisely because of those obstacles that her story is important because it raises the question: If Annie Easley can do it, what is our excuse? Her story is a story that challenges us to be the best versions of ourselves, and to not limit our lives as a result of the limited minds of others.

12. EnviroLady

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Henrietta Lacks needs to be acknowledged for her stolen cells that have helped medical advancement.

13. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, since it's to celebrate the 100th anniversary womans' suffrage, I'd say Susan B. Anthony.

Though, Harriet Tubman would also be nice to see.

14. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like that idea, Aldrick.

As far as those questioning why the 10 not the 20, it probably has to do with the time it takes to change currency. There are many steps to produce a new design that all need to be approved and in some cases tested before new bills can go out. Especially at the frequently traded (and machine processed) lower denominations. Before a new bill can be made, who is on it must be selected, the bill designed and engraved by hand (all US currency is hand engraved for security reasons), security features selected and determined how they will be implemented (look at the big changes in security features when we got the blue $100). They try to keep the feel of the bills the same, as changing that can result in bills being rejected by people that regularly handle cash (yes, the feel of our money IS a security feature). After all that, they've got to create some significant documentation of the features of the bill that vendors can use to create software and hardware to recognize them. After that, they need to produce sample bills for companies to use for acceptance testing, and hopefully not get significant negative feedback from companies. If there is too much negative feedback, they may need to go back to square one in the design process. Then, they need to make the public aware of the new look, and allow time for vendors to get hardware reprogrammed or replaced as neccessary. As far as the acceptance testing, that's so bill receptors in automated systems can recognize the bills properly. Imagine if you went to the grocery store, used one of the automated checkouts, and it refused to accept all the bills you have. Now, make it so that it's not just your bills, but 3/4 of the customer's bills. Commerce nightmare.

15. Psaurus918

Happy to see a woman finally going on currency and all but can we please get rid of the stupid penny already!

16. vamonos

As soon as I read the title I thought, "New $3 U.S. Bill to feature a gay."