1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Something You May Not Know About Stonewall Inn: The Arson After the Riots

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Starwind78, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Starwind78

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
  2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just read about this and was shocked that this isn't well-known, but much more shocking was the aftermath, with one commentator joking that they could be buried in "fruit" jars...utterly disgusting. Some of the victim's families, from the shame of finding out their offspring were gay declined to claim their dead, leaving them to be buried in unmarked graves...

I grew up in the sixties, and I knew instinctively that being gay was something you didn't discuss, but I didn't know to what extent this sheer mad hatred was so pervasive...

3. RedRey

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Oh man...It must have been tough on the teacher and other survivors. They went through so much trouble to keep their affairs private but going to the hospital from fire that day made them reveal themselves. It must have sucked feeling so rejected after near death experience like that.

4. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is disturbing... O_O Even if this weren't LGBT related.

5. Starwind78

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I saw the fruit jars bit, but missed the unmarked graves. Wow, people really abandoned their loved ones like that? How horrible.

6. Aldrick

I've known about this story for a long time. I first learned about it through Rev. Troy Perry, who went there to conduct the funeral service. The Upstair's Lounge is a... complicated story. The only thing that is really uncomplicated about the story is how the straight community reacted in the wake of the fire.

If anyone wants to know the full story of what happened, as well as what it was like in the Upstair's Lounge before the fire, I recommend listening to this lecture:

[YOUTUBE]-aoJ7VCaumM[/YOUTUBE]

A mild warning: It does contain some graphic pictures from the fire displaying the remains of the victims. Although, it is tasteful and appropriate to the story. The bulk of the photos are pictures from a couple of weeks before the fire. The story also goes into why the MCC was so involved. This gives you a tiny glimpse, but an important glimpse, into gay history.

At the end of the lecture, it is revealed who set the fire, based on the evidence collected.