1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News California Passes Bill to Require Vaccines and Ban Religious Exemptions

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by HuskyPup, Jun 25, 2015.

1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Finally, some sanity on this issue in the Sunshine State! Very happy to see reason prevail.

California Passes Bill to Require Vaccines and Ban Religious Exemptions

CA will be 32nd state to have such laws; the only exemption now is for medical reasons.

It's weird how long it took CA to do this compared to other states, and how resistance to it was highest in the wealthiest parts of the state: Orange County, Santa Barbara, and ritzy enclaves around LA and SF. The attitude seems to be: "Our kids move in such rarefied, elite circles, that we don't get the same diseases you commoners do!"

~

Another item of interest that was pointed out:

It's hard to find a religion that specifically mentions vaccines, period.

Edit: Meant to post this in current events, sorry 'bout that!

2. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think vaccines should be mandatory in the United States, period.

3. BelleFromHell

Wait... Isn't Florida the "Sunshine State"?

Bah, who cares? I'm sure this pisses off my anti-vax mom and I'm happy. :slight_smile:

4. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, you're right! I wonder what CA is then? OK, now I know: I think it's "The Golden State". But it is sunny!

5. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I strongly dislike the government dictating any medical procedure for an individual's body.

6. Eye Shine

I'm glad this is now required. My niece needs to get vaccinated hopefully they force my brother to do it when she starts going to school or earlier

7. Thank goodness. If people don't want to vaccinate their children, there's always the option of homeschooling or hiring private tutors.

My sister works in the medical field and she's extremely passionate about this. She's actually told me that "OMG, this is the first time I've seen measles in real life." She's even called parents who didn't vaccinate their kids putting their children in contact with other kids "biological warfare."

I come in contact with others that say "it's their choice to vaccinate their kids!" But here's the thing, kids don't have the choice to get sick. Vaccines are for diseases that are air-borne. You can't control its spread except putting them in quarantine.

Another thing to think about is that vaccines aren't 100% effective. Some vaccinated individuals have weaker immune systems because their parents didn't build their kid's immunity well enough by disinfecting everything. Those kids would be the ones that get sick along with unvaccinated individuals. So not only is putting unvaccinated kids in school putting their kid at risk, it puts other kids at risk.

8. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  9. Yeah, it's called the Golden State. It's called that because CA was where the Gold Rush took place.

10. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Enough Said. This has gone way too far in some cases.

11. Caleb93

If your child is vaccinated, then why should you be concerned about whether or not other children are? It's just more government control over personal medical decisions.

12. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Herd immunity. Unless 85% of the public is vaccinated, vaccines won't do much good.

This is a good bill, and I'm glad the legislature of California has passed this. It needs to be mandatory vaccinations for children to attend public school, with exemptions only for medical reasons.

13. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, so I guessed right! Though I was thinking it was Golden because of how pretty the hills looked when I visited, around San Luis Obisbo and the central coast; gold colored grassy hills dotted with these curious oak trees, some of which had moss hanging from them, closer to the coast. It looked sorta like parts of Italy. Some very beautiful places there.

My first partner and his partner (now husband) just moved to that area, near Pismo Beach. (Which I formerly thought only existed in Bugs Bunny cartoons, until I saw it)

Well, good to see that there will be less worry about measles and other diseases; I also enjoyed reading about your sister's insights.

14. BelleFromHell

What about kids who can't get vaccinated? Some kids are allergic to the ingredients in some vaccines, so when they hang out with children of anti-vax parents, they're likely to catch whatever sickness they couldn't vaccinate against from them. I had a friend who was allergic to eggs, and she got sick all the time.

I'm no expert on the subject, so correct me if I'm wrong.

15. RedRey

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    There are two major reasons that a non vaccinated individual will endanger others.
    1) there are people who have medical conditions that their body doesn't allow them to be vaccinated. If the population around these people is all vaccinated, the non vaccinated don't have to worry about the disease spreading to them. But if there are more and more people who are not vaccinated, the window of opportunity for the infection to cause disease will increase. The reason a person may not be able to get vaccinated is usually because of certain age or weak immune system. We must do whatever we can to protect them.

2) Viruses all have a gene sequence. The vaccines available right now can only fight a gene sequence. If the virus was allowed to infect a person, it increase it chances of becoming mutated. This would create a brand new stand of infection for which would be extremely deadly and no vaccine or antibodies to cure it until several thousand have diet.

I think this is a great step forward for medical ethics. In my opinion sometime population health should override individual opinion since most people without appropriate education don't understand science.

Many people falsely believe that vaccines cause autism because of a hoax research published in early 2000s. This research was proved wrong several years later but people still fear. Specially having false medical professions like chiropractors and naturopaths claiming dangers of vaccines without any historic or scientific evidence.

---------- Post added 25th Jun 2015 at 08:47 PM ----------

That is a very powerful statement. While at an individual level I believe any person should have the right to deny any medical procedure recommended by doctor or the government, sometimes we have to look at the bigger picture and see how it effects public health and the future generation. There is no significant risk in vaccinating and they have near 100% efficacy.

There is a new medical scam that "natural" is always good and "unnatural" is bad. It sounds like something we want to believe and many people do. Without any real evidence, chiropractors and naturopaths are introducing this new form of alternative medicine to make themselves unique. We can't allow these false believes to dictate our health choices. Since people like drama, they like to believe vaccination is scamming and natural is indeed better. This has to come to a stop before it causes our country a greater damage than it already has.

16. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This was even a debate?

17. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    In general I don't like the idea of the government mandating medical procedures, but look what vaccines have done; compare now to the smallpox and polio problems of the past. This isn't something you can just fuck around with. In this case, I do believe that it's a good idea, but only for certain vaccines--deadly diseases that we've already eradicated. For something like HPV, though? No way.

18. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Disagree on what you said about HPV. HPV is a very serious virus that many people will get in their life if they are unvaccinated. It can cause all sorts of various cancers to the genital area for some people, and can become very serious and deadly if left untreated. It should start becoming a highly suggested, if not required vaccine for teenagers. Current trends say that one in two people could end up contracting it in their life. Just because we haven't got to see the effects of a disease like HPV as much as Measles, Mumps, or Rubella, does not mean that we still should not be vaccinating for it. This isn't even an issue of a vaccine being for a STI, either. Hepatitis B has been vaccinated for since 1981, and nobody has complained about that. Meningococcal infections can be spread through kissing, but nobody ever mentions that. Why does everyone have such a gripe about the HPV vaccine?

19. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think we shouldn't be vaccinating for it, and I don't see the problem with recommending it, but I don't agree with requiring it. Especially since it relates to sexual activity, which is voluntary, and as someone who is basically asexual, I wouldn't want to be required to get it.

20. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't even have to have sex to contract it. Some strains can be transmitted even through kissing, as with Herpes Simplex. You also do not even have to be showing symptoms to be contagious, which means if you kiss someone with no visible cold sores/warts, you can still contract Human Papillomavirus.

How Is HPV Spread?

Also, not all sexual activity is voluntary or consensual. Many people also acquire HPV through being sexually molested or raped.