1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Man beheaded in Lyon

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by imnotreallysure, Jun 26, 2015.

1. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sad and frightening. =\

3. Lyana

I don't think I can be very articulate right now, but thank you for the thread.
    Waiting for more news. Right now, they don't seem to be actively searching for another suspect (one at least already having been arrested; maybe the other is among the wounded?), so I suppose we can be grateful for that, at least -- means it hopefully won't be a repeat of the Hyper-Casher after the Charlie Hebdo attack.

4. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
  5. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

The religion of "peace" strikes again.

6. Foz

Foz Guest

It's sad to see NATO continuing to sit on it's hands about ISIS, airstrikes will only stop ISIS from expanding so far but only way to eradicate them is to get boots on the ground. But there is this whole stigma of troops in Iraq again, most of the public don't know the first thing about international conflict and it's infuriating to see NATO not taking action because of these people.

7. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Awful day, my condolences to all those affected by religious extremism today.

8. 741852963

Which is why, as politically incorrect or controversial it may sound, we must tackle the roots of extremism in our mosques and Muslim communities instead of falling back on a "most Muslims are peaceful" or "it is only a minority so it doesn't need to be addressed" mantra.

We have student Islamic societies across the UK for instance openly inviting hate speakers and wanted terrorists to give lectures. We have preachers in mosques who we are well aware of delivering evil messages, and yet we ignore such practices out of fear of overstepping or limiting "free speech".

Yes it is only a minority committing these acts. But I feel the Muslim community (and governments) have become far to complacent of extremist preachings, declaring it "not our problem". If people are truly misrepresenting your religion (i.e. preaching in a way you feel is utterly wrong and appalling), it is very much your problem. In the same way the likes of the Westboro Baptist lot are the problem of Christians worldwide.

I don't think it is about an unfair obligation to defend yourself for the actions of others. Instead I think its an obligation to not be a bystander to extremism when as part of the same community you are in a position of power to make your voice heard and say "no".

9. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Very well said, 741852963. I agree that simply writing it off as "well, most of them are peaceful" is not a solution to the problem. And people are afraid to admit that.