1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News SCOTUS Decision and Christian "Persecution"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Grounded Eagle, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Grounded Eagle

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi all,

So of course I'm ECSTATIC (!) about today's news, but my dad is anything but. :tantrum: He's an extremely conservative Christian pastor. Anyways, he broached the subject with me today and shared his fears of impending persecution, citing the hate speech laws in Canada, and saying that someday his church won't be able to teach that being gay is wrong without legal consequences. This may be the first time in forever that our conversation has even touched my being gay, so I was unprepared and too upset inside to really respond. I'm not a speaker; I find my thoughts on paper. So, I've written the following, and would welcome your opinions/criticism on my logic and any gaping holes therein.

Please understand that while I refer to religion, particularly Christianity, I know that many religious people are open-minded and accepting. This letter is not for them. This letter is for my own close-minded family. Thank you!

On Religious Persecution in the Wake of the SCOTUS Decision

Many Christians are clamoring that giving LGBT people the right to marry under the law foreshadows dire things for their religious freedom. Someday, preaching against homosexuality will be considered hate speech, and will become punishable by law. They foresee a day when true Christian churches will be closed, and the faithful will be hunted down and imprisoned. This wholesale persecution is destined to happen, after all, right? It says so in the Bible, so it’s got to be true.

The points I would like to make are the following:
    1) Giving gay people legal marriage rights does not affect your life in the slightest. Gay relationships existed yesterday, and they will exist tomorrow. Nobody is “turning” gay, and nobody is being forced into a gay marriage. The only thing that has changed is the lives of gay people themselves, which is the whole point.
    2) But churches can’t criticize gays anymore! Persecution! Right? Wrong. Despite the mindset of inevitable persecution installed in the Christian brain, this country prizes religious freedom, and freedom from discrimination; we are all EQUAL under the law. It was difficult enough for the Supreme Court to arrive at this monumental decision to give rights to people who should have them. Our government goes slow. It was designed that way. So I don’t think any sweeping laws against religious freedom are on the horizon.
    3) If you’re a business that doesn’t want to sell flowers or a cake for a gay wedding on religious grounds, that’s risky. You’re a business. Do your job and move on. It won’t kill you. The only thing that’s going to hurt is turning away customers and getting yourself an ugly reputation. But the real question here is: what gay couple wants to give their money to a hostile business, anyways?
    4) If you want to preach against homosexuality in your churches, go right ahead. As long as you’re not getting aggressive and butting into my life, what do I care? Public opinion is turning against your medieval beliefs, just like it did with slavery, racism, and treating women like property, so if you experience any negative reactions to your preaching, it won’t be coming from the law. It’ll be from the general public.
    5) Ask yourself this: just how have gays reached this point of acceptance in society? Why is there so much support? One major reason is that so many people are coming to realize that people in their lives, people they love, are gay. People are seeing that being gay doesn’t destroy lives, doesn’t open the door to immorality and debauchery, and doesn’t actually make a big difference in anyone’s lives—provided that religion and ignorance don't stick their noses in and cause problems.

So, what’s my advice? Go back to living in your happy bubble, if you wish, and believe whatever you want, since you have the right to do that. Or better yet, take a close look at what’s really going on in the world, and stop freaking out. Gay marriage is about protecting gays and their families, and has nothing whatsoever to do with you and your life and your beliefs. So chill out.

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have no idea why Christians cry persecution when their religion is a driving force in this country that protests them from harassment, unlike most of us, who get screwed and thrown under the bus. If they don't like marriage equality, then they shouldn't marry someone of the same gender. Saying I shouldn't marry my partner because their religion says so is telling someone they can't eat a donut because you're on a diet.

3. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've said this before, but I still don't understand how the religious right can be both a moral majority and a persecuted minority at the same time.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They are getting persecuted, and it's a good thing.

5. Grounded Eagle

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with every one of you!

Incidentally, not knowing much about the Canada hate speech laws, I did a little looking into it and haven't seen any signs that it's what conservative Christians make it out to be. As far as I can see, it's just meant to prevent people from doing what the Westborough Baptist church does--shoving their hurtful words in the public's face. If anyone knows the particulars on these laws, please feel free to share!

6. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The sad thing about so called Christians in the US and Canada that claim persecution simply because they can't force their beliefs onto others is that they aren't concentrating on the places in the world where Christians (and others) are truly being persecuted for their beliefs by groups like ISIS.

7. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    These people think they're so clever. "By not letting me take alway other people's rights, you're taking away my rights". They look at that and think they're clever when in reality they're just being a douchebag.

8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But as persecution and repression are generally defined as the mistreatment of and injustice toward a particular group, it doesn't even qualify for that. It's certainly a curtailment of their unbalanced and relatively unchecked freedom to act as they will, but I don't believe that persecution can ever be just and I would say that this is not an example of it at all.

9. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's a bit rich of them to be moaning about persecution considering the injustices and persecution they've inflicted on minorities through the years.

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

My favorite Bible story has always been:

Jesus and The Super Mega Hateful Day

Jesus had been traveling many days. He stopped at a small village, which was burdened with blindness, poverty, and two guys named Adam and Steve -- who live together. The blind man could not see Jesus, but could feel the power of the Son of God. The blind man knelt before Christ and said, "Cure me, oh Glorious Shepherd!"

But Jesus said: "Get a job, you bum."

A woman in tattered garb and two children approached. Kneeling before Jesus, she too asked for something. She dared ask for just a single piece, so that her youngest may live another week.

But Jesus said: "Get expensive-and-limited-American healthcare, you bum."

Finally, Adam and Steve approached, hand in hand. The two bent their knees to Christ, but were silent. Jesus was puzzled, though this would not last for long. "We just wanted to say thank you, Lord" , chimed Steve, "for providing substance to our lives."

But Jesus said: "Y'all still can't get married."

Not a real Bible story, but some folks would probably love for it to be. Those are the types that are most whiny about this, right now.

11. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Christion persecution is a delusion in some respects. What does not affect you or what other people do in their lives is not gonna send you to hell. Let people live their lives in the pursuit of happiness and you will realize it has no real affect on you. Their relationship with God is their business and your relationship with God is your business. God is not gonna send you to hell for what other people do or what your government does. Of course i could say being gay is not as sin but that won't be something for them to comprehend. Christian persecution is very real though in many places throughout the world but here in the US for the most part your not being murdered, killed or being discriminated against for being a christian. A believe a church has the right to refuse gay weddings or a place has the right to not participate in a gay wedding. It is not fair and it suck but for me it is a healthier way to get them to change their stance in the future.

12. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Can I use this? 'Cause it's really really good!

Also, on Canadian hate speech laws. Well, tbh, I didn't really know we had them and I do still go to church often when I'm home. My dad's church is not pro-gay, and they have sermons on that. My dad did a bible study at another church too, on the world turning to sin and gay rights movement blah blah blah. So yeah, not much of an affect on the misled God-fearing group, except of course they can't be the WBC.

13. Gallatin

Hmm, I quite agree with this statement. Well said.

14. Posthuman666

You did it again Kaiser. :icon_bigg The humor in this story is obvious, but it has a strong point.

15. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I second this. But keep in mind that people are entitled to their personal views and it's not appropriate to force your opinion on them either. Acceptance is a complicated and often slow process.

16. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Whatever. They are suffering, and their suffering produces a lot of goodness and warmth in the world.

17. Grounded Eagle

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Forgive me, you are totally correct here, Aussi792! (*hug*) The point I tried to make in my letter is that real persecution of Christians in the US isn't likely to happen. My view of religion in general is negative, and while I hope people start trusting in science and common sense over superstition (this being my own opinion, I don't mean to offend anyone), I certainly don't wish for religious people to be discriminated against, humiliated, or harmed in any way for holding their own beliefs. I'd be a hypocrite if I did.

18. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Holy shit, I love you.
    I've been trying to find a way to say this properly for ages.

If only more people in my area had working brains, I'd show them this.:confused:

#18 Kira, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  19. mangotree

Help, I'm being persecuted for persecuting.
    :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is not religion, it is racism...

I would argue race is based in genetic traits and LGBT is in the genes. Hence it is racial discrimination and no state, city or town engaged in racial discrimination should receive federal funds and public teaching that gays are bad (racism) should not be allowed beyond closed church doors.

It appears to be fertile ground for law suits against the municipality, and the perpetrator personally with broader implications.

Your father is correct. He is a racist and if he engages in public hate speech should be punished. Just like clerk"s refusing to issue same sex marriage licenses.

#20 skiff, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015