1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Oklahoma Supreme Court orders removal of Ten Commandments monument

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, Jul 3, 2015.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    More here

2. Psaurus918

I don't think anything to do with religion belongs on government property, wether it's Christanity, Juddism, Muslim etc

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good. The Establishment Clause of the First Amendment forbids these types of displays on Government property, and disenfranchises people of other religions. To say otherwise is ignoring the facts.

4. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    While I personally wouldn't be bothered by such a display, I understand why they removed it. That kind of religious imagery really shouldn't be in government establishments.

5. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was going to say I disagreed until I read it was done in 2012. I thought it may have had historical significance... But nope...

6. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And, depending on the exact design and how strict your religion is about those matters, it might be a direct violation of at least two of those same commandments...

Sure, putting up a reminder that thou shall be pious and not kill, steal or covet may seem like an inoffensive idea, even to an atheist... But Ten Commandments are much more complex than that, and people advocating for those monuments basically shoot themselves in the foot.

7. Mith

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

Same here, why did they put that thing in 2012??

Anyway, I'm so glad that finally someone is taking serious the laical state thing, in Italy we still have crucified Christs in all the classrooms and when the state proposed to remove them people got crazy (and so me and some schoolmates decided to steal the one that was in our classroom and we put a clock instead because it seemed a lot more useful :grin:).

I don't know if people of other religions actually care about this things, but since we are in a laical country and in a public place, why the heck they have to put a religious symbol?

8. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have no problem with it personally but since it is public place I am ok with their decision. We need to make our government a welcoming place for all people and that kind of place is just not the place for it in this day and age.