1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Where Presidential Candidates Stand on Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Posthuman666, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Posthuman666

2. sheenak

Very informative,thank you

3. Foz

Foz Guest

It's a bit of a non-issue now, equal marriage isn't going to be reversed. But it is concerning when candidates say "God created marriage and we cannot interfere", so they think religion should dictate law? Even Saddam ran a secular state...

4. Eye Shine

I wouldn't call it a non issue yet. Granted same sex marriage won't be reversed and it shouldn't, but some states still allow businesses to fire someone based on sexual orientation. Obviously if you want continuous sexual orientation equal rights in all aspects you would be safe choosing any of the people that this article talked about that is NOT REPUBLICAN.

5. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gee, what an interesting pattern: All of the 15 Republicans oppose it, and all the Democrats support it.

Who'd have guessed?

And though gay marriage may be more or less settled for now, you can bet dollars to donuts these Republicans are also going to oppose gay rights in employment, housing, adoption, and call for a general curtailment of rights due to so-called 'religious freedom.' And they'll try to chip away at marriage rights.

6. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is why I'm kind of nervous that our next president will be a republican who opposes marriage equality and LGBT rights.

Like I remember Jeb Bush saying "Same-sex marriage offends me and many others." I mean, HOW? How does it offend you that a small portion of the population can finally marry the person they love?

I just hope that we continue to have a democratic president (or republican who supports LGBT rights/marriage) for our 2016 election.

---------- Post added 9th Jul 2015 at 04:58 PM ----------

Also, how come there's nearly twice as many republicans than democrats? Does that mean the chances of having a republican president are higher? I'm not into politics so I wouldn't know...

7. CyclingFan

Regarding your last question, no. Hilary has a pretty substantial edge, even with Bernie Sanders getting some notice now. It's been thought of as her nomination to lose for quite some time. On the republican side, the field is much more wide open, although several of them are fooling themselves if they think they've got a chance.

I don't think I've seen a poll yet where HRC isn't ahead against any republican challenger.

---------- Post added 9th Jul 2015 at 02:29 PM ----------

I think the polling on marriage equality will prevent it from being overturned, but the next president will likely get to nominate 2-4 Supreme Court justices. It's crystal clear what the mainstream Republican Party position is, and having just a gop replacement for Ginsburg would make the court extremely hostile to lgbt rights issues.

8. Gen

Gen

In terms of practical victors, if Bernie Sanders or Hilary Clinton do not win, then we have far greater things to fear than maintaining marriage equality.

9. XxSunXDragonxX

Damn...and I thought that Indian guy was cool. I couldn't care less about him being the first Indian president now. :confused:

10. Posthuman666

I posted this mainly because of the tragic event in Kentucky. If a clerk already denied the rights of a gay couple too marry even though they had a letter from the governor and directly quoted from the SCOTUS decision, saying they have the right to get married and they were still denied on the ground of religious freedom...

Then we better have a democrat victor.

11. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's what their base wants to hear. It'll screw them over come election time, but the GOP will once again convince themselves, with some cajoling from the religious right and others, that they lost because their candidate wasn't conservative enough.

Even if they got battered next year they wouldn't change course, because the far right of the party won't let them.

12. CyclingFan

And evrn if they can't win the presidency, the GOP will still control the House, in all likelihood the senate and majority of state governments. They seem quite happy to just inflict damage on the system.

It would be horrific if they were rewarded for all of this with unified power.

13. Formality

Lol, literally no surprises in there at all.

14. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, it seems all the candidates match their position on same-sex marriage with their political party. Of all the Republican candidates, I'd have to say that I like Carly Fiorina the most. She's actually very good with many issues, and her stance on LGBT rights isn't too bad. Overall, though, I'd say I support Bernia Sanders the most.

15. Annie1990

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Who is on the Supreme Court could be even more important to LGBT rights than who is in the White House. Some of these Republican candidates are religious nut jobs. I hope the Republicans select somebody like Sarah Palin for the ticket who believes dinosaurs were on the Earth around 4,000 years ago.

I think Hillary is vulnerable if the Benghazi or email controversies take a turn for the worse. We need a religious zealot wing nut on the Republican ticket so Matt Damon can say something like he did about Sarah Palin: “I want to know if she really thinks dinosaurs were here 4,000 years ago because she’s gonna have the nuclear codes.”

16. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Any and all minorities BEWARE!!!!!!

---------- Post added 10th Jul 2015 at 09:21 AM ----------

Little more than cavemen.

17. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this pretty much sums up the GOP primary:

[YOUTUBE]njooiiWuYpY[/YOUTUBE]

18. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If all us minorities stick together we are ok. Vote as a block

19. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Things such as employment nondiscrimination, spousal benefits, healthcare, and MSM blood bans are still important though and it's likely if a person is against marriage equality they will be against the following as well.

As the current political climate exists as is, the Democratic Party are the only major party that can fight for the rights of LGBTQ people and actually make progress in that regard. The Republicans will seal their fate when it comes to LGBTQ rights depending on what they write in their 2016 platform regarding gay rights. If they stand by marriage only being one man and one woman, no LGBTQ person should vote for them, at least that's how I see it because at that point it would be like supporting segregation after the Civil Rights Movement.

20. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    im British and cant vote in amurica but go Hillary Clinton for first female president (and is also a supporter of gay rights)