1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Caitlyn Jenner Gives Emotional Speech After Accepting ESPY Award

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, Jul 15, 2015.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    More here

2. Burnedcloset

The speech made me tear up. Soooo good. And I hope all Trans people can watch it and be inspired.

<3 Caitlyn

3. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Beautiful and inspiring speech; I want to be like someone who has the power, heart, and ability for great change such as what Caitlyn has. :slight_smile:

4. NaomiB

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Just watched...excellent speech, she brang up abuse, violence, and the killing of a transgender woman, Mercedes Williamson and the suicide of Sam Taub, a fifteen year old transgender man in Michigan....

From the speech....

“Just last month, the body of 17-year-old Mercedes Williamson, a transgender young woman of color was found in a field in Mississippi stabbed to death. I also want to tell you about Sam Taub, a 15-year-old transgender young man from Bloomfield, Michigan. In early April, Sam took his own life. Now, Sam’s story haunts me in particular because his death was a few days before ABC aired my interview with Diane Sawyer. Every time something like this happens, people wonder, "Could it have been different, if spotlighting this issue with more attention could have changed the way things happen?" We’ll never know."

Was a really good speech...go Caitlyn!

5. Gen

Gen

I looked up a full video on a whim. Hopefully, it is not locked by region. I almost lost it at the end of the video.

[YOUTUBE]QB7AEdBU3sk[/YOUTUBE]

6. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    That video hurt a bit... I can relate so much.

7. BluhImCourtney

... I know this is off topic, but Mercedes looked pretty Caucasian to me... ._.

I mean, I get the sentiment behind Caitlyn's words, and there have been more murders of trans women of color, but... I... eh. ._.

---------- Post added 16th Jul 2015 at 03:02 PM ----------

Sorry if that was ignorant, I usually tend to not see people as seperate races (and rather as cultures), so... =>_<=

---------- Post added 16th Jul 2015 at 03:10 PM ----------

I'm sorry, I'll just shut up now... ,_,

8. DoriaN

I cried hahah, so good.

9. Gen

Gen

That was not ignorant. Williamson was, in fact, not a women of color. Jenner does her best to highlight the abnormally high rates of violence against trans women of color specifically and it seems as though she unconsciously added that detail in that long speech.

Colorblindness is not a progressive mindset. You should acknowledge different races and ethnicities when they are present. If we refuse to acknowledge the ways that we are different than we refuse to acknowledge the ways in which one might face more adversity or live a different perspective. Those factors should simply not bias your judgement or treatment of other people.

10. BluhImCourtney

I'm sorry, I tried to make myself sound less stupid and ended up sounding more stupid, I'm really sorry... T^T

11. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  12. Cedar

Caitlyn's speech really hit home for me, I'm so happy she got the award, she deserves it.

13. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

I believe transgender people deserve respect because they have suffered so much, been so looked down on and are the most targeted group in the LGBT community. Though I don't know them, I respect them by virtue of their courage just to keep going day by day.
    More power to you, and may you draw hope and strength from the standing ovation Caitlyn Jenner got last night. Many people respect and love you, including me.

14. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With the respect thing, they're not asking to be treated specially or anything. Just treated as human beings! So many trans people are killed, abused, or driven to suicide the least you can do is treat them with respect. It's not a hard concept to understand. As a fellow lesbian, we demand respect too! I'm sure you want people not constantly asking you if you have a boyfriend and, I don't know- not stabbing you? That's all Caitlyn is asking.

15. Posthuman666

1 in 12 trans people are murdered. 1 in 4 experience violence. 41% of trans people attempt to take their own lives.

That is why I want respect. You don't have to respect me, but respect my identity. We really aren't asking for much.

As for the video, it hit home. I was crying almost the whole way through.

#15 Posthuman666, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  16. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I knew I would find sensible replies here.

On Facebook, it's just a bunch of people whinning about how she does not deserve and others throwing slurs at her. They just prove how she does deserve it. I can't imagine hiding who I was for such a long time! That's insane! It takes a lot of strenght to go through that, one that the haters will probably never understand.

I really hope that Caithlyn is our Ellen, as others have said, because we need so much more visibility. I didn't know ANYTHING about trans people until I was 15, and I discovered it MYSELF. That's not something that can be said for gay people.

She's doing a pretty good job at explaining things for those that are open to learn and those who need the knowledge for themselves.

17. Formality

Such an amazing speech! Much love to her :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

I know that people think Caitlyn is taking advantage of her transgenderism to make money and whatever, but I think that's all baloney. Transgenders need to be seen and heard in the media and the way Caitlyn is handling her situation, I believe, is the best way she could possibly do it. It's much better than her just simply letting it slip under the rug. The attention is truly necessary for trans rights and acceptance to progress.

18. The Purple One3

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You go Glen Caitlyn Jenner

19. person57

That speech was beautiful!!!

20. azurekite700

azurekite700 Guest