1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay leaders furious with Obama

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by EM68, Dec 18, 2008.

1. EM68

2. s5m1

The selection of a right wing homophobe like Rick Warren for the invocation, combined with Obama's earlier opposition to gay marriage because he is a Christian, should give us no illusions about our new president. While he may be more accepting that George W. Bush, he is paying lip service to the issue of equality and civil rights for all Americans. I am absolutely outraged by this!

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    This is hard to swallow. I hope he listens when he let him know that this is not okay!

4. s5m1

He needs to hear us loud and clear. Are you aware of any protests or other actions being contemplated in response? I do not want to sit idly by without doing something. In some ways, this hurts more than the California vote on prop 8. The guy we thought was for us has stabbed us in the back for political gain.

5. EM68

Obama just had a pres conference and a reporter asked him about this and he said that Rick Warren invited him over to his church and he well knows how he stands on issues. The he goes on and says that it is part of his dialog with people of varying backgrounds.

I hate to say this but it seems Obama is not the type to take a lot of political risks. I like the picks that he had made so far for the cabinet. Even though I did not vote for him I hope he succeeds.

#5 EM68, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  6. Im not surprised. Just another example that when you try to please everyone, you often end up compromising one group to appeal to another. This is another reason I didn't vote for him, I couldn't pretend that he would be "for us."

7. s5m1

Would he also like to have a dialogue with White supremacists? As far as I am concerned, there is no difference.

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  9. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

He's just innaugurating him...not that much of a big deal.

10. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Here is another perspective.....he may be right.

December 18, 2008

Three Cups of Tea for Rick Warren

By Thom Hartmann

Rick Warren is providing the invocation for the presidential inauguration. As a pastor whose books have been read by tens of millions of Americans and whose voice is respected by an equal or larger number, he has tremendous influence and power. And as an open homophobe who aggressively works to wound gay people in this country (as well as pretty much anybody else who doesn't believe with his own particular and peculiar recently-invented version of Christian theology) he should be the guy with the bull's-eye on his back for the progressive movement.

But consider that metaphor for a moment. In Pakistan there are entire regions filled with people who not only hate gays but hate Americans as well, regardless of religion. We've tried bombing them (as the Soviets did, and the British before them). Three consecutive Western empires have tried threatening them, starving them, poisoning them, infiltrating them, and overpowering them - all without success.

And then Greg Mortenson came to one of their villages, had three cups of tea with them (a metaphor for hospitality - they nursed him back to health after a mountain climbing injury - and the title of his best-selling book), and now in dozens of these formerly Taliban-controlled villages the people are rejecting the Taliban, embracing modernity, and openly proclaiming themselves as our friends.

His "weapon" for this conversion? He built schools for their children, particularly their previously-banned-from-school girls.

We pushed the Palestinians on the West Bank to have open and democratic elections, assuming that because they were using the tool of our culture (the secret ballot) they'd vote in people reflecting the values of our culture. Instead, they voted in Hamas, a group that is openly hostile to us and our allies. Hamas' "weapon" for winning the hearts and minds of the Palestinians? They supported schools, hospitals, and fed and clothed people.

You'd think that we'd have learned from these experiences - particularly those of us who call ourselves "progressives" - that you get your desired results faster when you embrace, engage, and nurture your "enemies" than when you physically or rhetorically bomb them.

Barack Obama has learned that lesson, and is applying it in inviting Rick Warren to perform the invocation for his inauguration. In doing so, he is reaching out a hand to those who today are - out of fear and ignorance - pushing away gays the same way their intellectual ancestors pushed away African Americans when anti-miscegenation laws were supported by most of these same "fundamentalist" Christian churches in the 1950s and 1960s.

Joseph Lowry, who is providing the other bookend to the inauguration with the benediction, is the other side of the balance Obama is bringing to this inauguration. Lowry has said, for example, "The same folks who are against progress for black folks are the folks who are against progress for women and gays and farmers and young people and peace activists. We have to understand it's one struggle. This is ONE AMERICA, and the sooner we learn that the more effective our world will be."

And the more effective we will be at changing the hearts and minds of people like Rich Warren and his followers. This is a tremendous first step, and I congratulation Barack Obama on his wisdom, walking metaphorically in Greg Mortenson's shoes to eventually bring the enemies of America's true values of love and tolerance over to our side.

11. Jonah 4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Re: In fairness to Obama...

as much as Rick Warren's opposition to gay marriage and various issues related to it I do respect the man. He's generally a considerate person and he's been working to make issues like Aids and climate change center pieces of the evangelical movement. Most pastors don't seem to have the guts to challenge the old guard on these issues. So for at least that, I respect him.

Besides, its not as if he is deciding for Obama on policies related to GLBTQ issues, he's just there to help bring America together.

12. Mickey

I think we need to give Obama a chance before we get all upset.
    He's not even in the White House,yet.
    I voted for him. Why? Because I really believe that we'll get further
    with him as President.
    Let's give him a chance before we put him down. Patience IS a virtue!

13. s5m1

I appreciate the need for a dialogue with those who do not share one’s viewpoint. I also agree that as more straight people get to know us, they will realize we are just like them and that will help change their views, similar to villagers in Afghanistan. However, there is a fundamental difference between having a dialogue with someone to enlighten them and giving a bigot a very public platform to raise his stature. Rick Warren has done some very good things, as Jonah 4 points out, but he has also very clearly stated time and time again that gay people are not entitled to the same rights as heterosexuals. He has advocated this position and worked actively to take away the right to marry in California.

What if the person giving the invocation opposed equal rights for African Americans or women? Would anyone seriously suggest it was appropriate for such a person to give the invocation at the inauguration of the President of the United States? Why not David Duke or a member of the Aryan Nation? Allowing Rick Warren to give the invocation says that our struggle for civil rights is somehow not as important as the struggles by African Americans, women and other minorities. His participation in the inauguration sends a message that his views about homosexuals are acceptable.

I support President-Elect Obama’s efforts to create a dialogue in this country. He has done a tremendous job assembling his cabinet. However, on this decision, he missed the boat by a wide margin.

14. TheRoof

well that's just stupid.
    i mean among thousands of ministers out there,
    he had to pick one who is anti-gay!
    :dry:might as well been better off by picking jeremiah wright lol:dry:

15. :/

how can you be anti gay?
    thats just stupid.
    its not a choice to be gay, if it was i would be straight xD

thats like being against somebody because they were born with a freckle on their back.
    and nobody has any real evidence the bible is real...
    who knows, 1000000 years from now
    everyones could be worshiping harry potter
    Dx

16. Ty

Ty

A few days ago I went to a lecture in London by the Czech prime minister and after the lecture and questions, everyone was invited to the after party thing with champagne and food ect.

I got to speak with the prime minister (even got my photo taken with him! :grin:) and I asked him what he thought about the whole notion that Obama would 'change' everything and make things magically better. He said that he felt that Europeans and Americans had too high expectations of Obama and that because of the various problems that the bush administration has set up, there is a lot of domestic work that Obama will have to sort out before any actual change happens. Because of this, he said that he believes that under the Obama presidency, no massive 'change' will happen like people were all hoping for. Everyones too optimistic about him. He's only human.

17. Ty

Ty

Oh and who exactly are these gay leaders? It makes us sound a bit like a cult...

18. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ..And we say this in the name of the father, the son and the holy half-blood prince. Amen.

19. Jonah 4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My defense of Warren is that he's far better than others like Dobson who will put financial and political resources behind the issue. Yeah I know, thats not much of a defense but Warren has at least reached out to our community. And he has done a lot on the isssue of AIDS. Mabye I'm just interposing my feelings on to him, but I really do believe, that he is a sympathizer who will change his stance with time. I'm more worried about Obama. I'm still not convinced that he will actually push GLBT issues as president.