1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Poll: Support for gay marriage has fallen after obergefell

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by FANTIE, Jul 19, 2015.

1. FANTIE

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Poll: Support for Gay Marriage Has Fallen After Obergefell

According to a recent AP-GFK poll, support for gay marriage among U.S. citizens has dropped six percentage points since their last poll in April, with more Americans disapproving of the Supreme Court ruling making gay marriage the law of the land than those approving it.

Rather than galvanizing Americans into a unified body, the Obergefell decision has left U.S. citizens more divided than ever on the question of gay marriage, after the court itself showed a deep divide on the issue. In an unprecedented move, the four opposing justices each published an independent dissent, leaving a mine of legal reasoning contrary to the majority opinion.

The AP poll reveals that 42% of Americans favor legal gay marriage, while a similar poll carried out last April showed 48% in favor. Moreover, in conflicts between the interests of same-sex couples and those of religious liberty, a majority of Americans (56%) believe that government should rule in favor of religious freedom.

Specifically, more Americans believe that local officials with religious objections should be exempted from issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples, with 49% siding with the exemption and 47% saying they should be obliged to comply with the law. Moreover, an increasing number of U.S. citizens believe that wedding-related businesses with religious objections should be allowed to refuse service to gay and lesbian couples. Whereas in April 52% thought they should be accorded this option, the number was up to 59% in the recent poll.

“What the Supreme Court did is jeopardize our religious freedoms,” said Michael Boehm, 61, an industrial controls engineer from the Detroit area who describes himself as a conservative-leaning independent.

“You’re going to see a conflict between civil law and people who want to live their lives according to their faiths,” Boehm said.

The poll was conducted in the aftermath of the landmark Obergefell v. Hodges decision, in which the Supreme Court erasing state laws defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman, effectively making same-sex marriage the law of the land.

In his strongly worded dissent from the majority opinion, Justice Samuel Alito warned that the ruling would have iniquitous effects on religious Americans and all those who believe in marriage as it has been understood in every culture until now. He said that the decision

will be used to vilify Americans who are unwilling to assent to the new orthodoxy. In the course of its opinion, the majority compares traditional marriage laws to laws that denied equal treatment for African-Americans and women. The implications of this analogy will be exploited by those who are determined to stamp out every vestige of dissent.

Alito went on to say that people with a historical understanding of marriage will be considered to be extremists whose opinions have no place in polite society. “I assume that those who cling to old beliefs will be able to whisper their thoughts in the recesses of their homes,” he wrote, “but if they repeat those views in public, they will risk being labeled as bigots and treated as such by governments, employers, and schools.”

The AP poll suggests that for the moment, many Americans are still daring to express their disapproval both of the Supreme Court’s decision and the legalization of same-sex marriage itself.

2. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Pretty much what I expected. With such a major decision, there's bound to be backlash. Give it about a year and we may see more accurate results. Those against gay marriage are louder than ever, so of course statistics would show a decrease. However, since the Supreme Court decided the issue so soon, I think it would now take more time for people to accept it. Justice Roberts was right about closing debate = closing minds. I just wish this issue had a few more years to develop before making such a decision.

3. starm

A victory!

4. FANTIE

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Christian have lost it those 2 past years, they keep talking about this Sodom city. :help:
    Anti-gay articles are trending with +2000 comments. God, they need help.

5. starm

I meant a Victory of supreme court rulling! Can some mod delete that comment and this comment please? I didn't mean it that way.

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's because moral correctness was imposed on people who are evil.

And now, the forces of evil are butthurt.

7. Foz

Foz Guest

For public service workers I say "tough titties", you work to serve the public, not yourself; if you want a normal job, go look in the private sector. The law says murder is illegal, so would a police officer who says "I didn't believe in arresting him" keep his job? No, it is his job to enforce the law not his opinions.

If public service is so morally conflicting for you, then it's time to find a new job.

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh boo hoo, religious right. Tell me more about how you feel personally attacked that I can marry a man but my feelings about being persecuted by your community is invalid. Cry for me.

9. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How does same sex marriage impose on religious freedoms? I'm not sure how it works in the US but in the UK churches don't have to perform a same-sex wedding if they don't want to. Nobody is being imposed on at all.

10. FANTIE

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    They can suck it.

11. Posthuman666

If your homophobic, don't perform the wedding. Will you be a completely ignorant asshole? Yes, but you have your "religious integrity"

It is 2015, and you people are still pissed about people not falling for hatred?

tsk, tsk Conservatives

12. Miami

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i think over time these numbers will move back the other direction.

13. Formality

Puuuh! Religious freedom. Religious freedom what? To oppress others? To even use the religious freedom argument is an absurdity. It's like saying "you are intolerant because you don't tolerate my intolerance". It makes me cry when people are this stupid.

14. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tough luck for the people who aren't happy with the Obergefell ruling. Poll numbers don't get to determine what civil rights are given to people. In 1967 only about 20% of the population supported interracial marriage when that issue was decided by SCOTUS, and that didn't close people's minds about it. I'm thinking that in 50 years, support for same sex marriage will reflect what support for interracial marriage is today.

15. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    About the police officer thing... here (in my county) no one gets arrested. Someone admitted to breaking into a house, and they had fingerprints, but they were never arrested. The only time anyone was arrested was when a theif was caught by the victim, and driven to the police office -_-

16. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It can't get any more true than this.
    Sadly these types of people aren't the type to listen to reason though.
    They only listen to ancient, outdated teachings; and even then they aren't going to obey all of those.

Technically Christianity bans you from eating fish or wearing clothing made from two types of material, and directly supports slavery.
    They also tend to ignore all the misogyny and cruelty in their "perfect book"

For some reason they can apparently choose to ignore certain parts of their rule book, but the one that says to oppress others is more popular than the more harmless ones, like dressing plain.

17. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Americans don't like being told what to do, unless they don't know they're being told what to do.

When the Supreme Court enforces a decision like this, instead of allowing each and every state to do it at their own pace, it gives folks the fuel to complain about Big Government and being oppressed.

Is it kind of stupid? Yes.
    Would this have taken much longer? Yes.

But that's how America functions.

18. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, I was about to say just what Kaiser said. People, and especially Americans, don't appreciate being told what to do. They would rather have put it up to the states or to have had a popular vote. Unfortunately for them, we do not get to vote on people's rights. We do not let the whim of the majority determine what rights people should have. The Supreme Court made the right decision and I believe, in time, more will come around to supporting same-sex marriage.

19. BelleFromHell

Oh noo... The religious right has their jimmies rustled over shit that does not affect their personal lives in any way, shape, or form.

[​IMG]

20. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That doesn't surprise me. I just think that people are more vocal about it now than before. I also found this:

U.S. Support for Gay Marriage Stable After High Court Ruling

It doesn't show whether or not Americans support the Supreme Court's decision, but it shows that public opinion on same-sex marriage remains unaffected for the most part ever since the decision was made, with only a 2% decrease from the last poll conducted. As long as we don't see the opposing side getting larger than the supporting side, then I'm good. :slight_smile: