1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Charleston Shooter Faced With Federal Hate Crime Charges

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BryanM, Jul 22, 2015.

1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Full story + link to manifesto here: Dylann Roof To Be Indicted On Federal Hate Crime Charges: Reports

This is great to see, and it's also nice to see that these hate crime charges are being called upon from the Shepard-Byrd Hate Crimes Act of 2009, which is a law inspired by the murder of openly gay Wyoming man Matthew Shepard. Again, I hope he never sees the light of day outside of prison again. It's great to see him charged with hate crimes, and that the Shepard-Byrd Act is being put to good use.

2. Foz

Foz Guest

I'm assuming that as it's federal charges the bastard will fry on the chair?

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He would be facing the death penalty on both the state and federal charges if both entities decide to pursue it. Both level charges of first degree murder carry a penalty of life in prison without parole and the death penalty. I believe he faces 10 counts on the state level and 33 at the federal level. The last federal inmate to be put to death was in 2003.

4. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What an insane bitch... O_O

5. AlamoCity

Whether in Columbia, SC or Terre Haute, IN, I'm all for it as long as it is as quick as judiciously possible. That said, it would be sort of nice if he dies in SC and literally gets fried (SC by default uses lethal injection but electrocution is a legal method should either A) the person choose it, or B) the courts block lethal injection).

6. Gen

Gen

He deserves life.

The whole point of all of this was to spark racial tension. He wants to be seen as a patron for his supremacy ideology. Psychologically, he will just equate the death sentence as being a martyr. Allowing him to rot, helpless, in a maximum security person will give him the least gratification.

7. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Personally, I hope he gets the death penalty and it be as slow and painful as possible. If not, then life in prison sounds like the next best option and hope that he lives in misery for the remainder of it.

8. MetalRice

I hope the terrorist fries.

9. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I see where you're coming from and I have a similar opinion...

But if I were families of any of these victims I don't think I'd be so thoughtful. :/

10. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is one of the few times you'll hear me say an eye for an eye is justifiable, and I hope they make him suffer for what he's done.

11. Justinian20

I'd say prison is the best punishment, because killing someone may make them a martyr and they will feel glorified, while prison is worse. You killed people, if you are killed, it will be quick for that person meanwhile if you are stuck in a prison, it is a more fitting punishment.

12. CyclingFan

Prison for life.

Hopefully we will see the death penalty eradicated in the USA at some point. That it is seen as compatible with the 8th amendment is an odd historical artifact.

13. Gen

Gen

That shouldn't have read as thoughtful. Death is easy. He should have at least half a century in front of him him and he should spend it locked inside of a cement block.

14. Cedar

While I understand the families might want justice for their loved ones. This man shouldn't be put to death, he should not be made a martyr of. Nope, he should rot in some maximum security prison.

15. Chi and Bashful

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Idk if this is sadistic or not bit I prefer life in prison to the death penalty for the simple reason there just gunna give him an injection and he's gunna fall asleep...I'm sorry but ugh uhh karma needs time to catch up with him for what he did to those families that he tore apart

16. Pie

Pie Guest

As Gen said, he should not have the death penalty. But at the same time, it must cost a ridiculous amount of money to keep him in prison for the next 50 years...

17. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For the possibility that this man may find god and get saved in prison i oppose the death penalty. of course he should remain in prison but he should have a right to redeem himself if he chooses while in prison.

18. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It will be interesting to see what happens to this shooter in comparison with the shooter in Chattanooga.