1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Lafayette, Louisiana, police respond to movie theater shooting

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, Jul 23, 2015.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    More here

2. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    These stories are really a dime a dozen, aren't they?

The suspect was described as a white man in his 50s. A bit different than the more typical young white male suspect.

If only people like this didn't feel the need to take others with them when they've decided to take their own life.

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ANOTHER shooting?

4. GypsyButterfly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My husband & I have said the same thing before. Though, I do advocate seeking help instead. Of course, maybe he did. These stories are tragic, all the way around. My thoughts & prayers go out to those who were wounded & family & friends of the victims.

5. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Don't movie theatres have metal detectors?! Very sad event for those involved and their loved ones.

6. Foz

Foz Guest

I used to live near there and I have family there too, I just don't get this whole resistance. People own guns because it's fun, I'll admit if I lived in the states I would probably own several rifles, but their excuses are not valid. They buy gun magazines and go to gun shows like I buy car magazines and go to car shows. Since when was someone's right to have fun more important than someone's right to live?

The right to bear arms is in the constitution so that citizens could stand up against the government, however this was back in the time when muskets were cutting edge technology. The thing with muskets is, they give you an awful long time to calm down before you shoot.

7. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not any that I've seen in the U.S. Most of the places that has metal detectors are schools, airports (not airparks) and government buildings. Those places also usually have armed security also.

---------- Post added 24th Jul 2015 at 11:10 AM ----------

What I was taught in history class r/t the 2nd amendment wasn't just to resist the government if needed, but to support the government in case of invasion. They didn't have an organized National guard and reserve like they do now, the "reserve" was all able bodied males between a certain age. The "drill" that they were asked to attend for training was one half a day a week, sometimes organized by or in place of attending church. The smoothbore muskets weren't cutting edge at the time, they were old school technology. The cutting edge was the rifle, but that wasn't in general issue for many decades because it was actually slower to load than a smoothbore musket.

I recently read a magazine article that talked about a mass shooting that occurred in 1915, with a double barreled shotgun. Apparently the guy would fire a shot, break open the gun, reload, then fire another shot. If someone tried to rush him he could simply close the action and pull the trigger. He was only stopped because someone ran to a hardware store, bought a shotgun of their own, and shot the murderer. Legal concealed pistol carry for defense wasn't a factor at the time because it was allegedly illegal. It's also not a possible factor in this latest theater shooting because some people having CCW permits now the theater has a no guns policy, which the murderer chose to ignore anyway.

---------- Post added 24th Jul 2015 at 11:22 AM ----------

That is so true. Although the young white male seems to be the typical suspect, there have people of all races and genders that commit these crimes. And not all the mass murders are suicidal. My BF was telling me last night that when he was a little kid, some 16 yr old girl committed a mass shooting with a rifle. Her excuse when captured was "I don't like mondays." Some rock group then made a song called "I don't like mondays" and it became a hit song for awhile.

8. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    UPDATE: Although the exact motive for the theater shooter is still unknown, what is now known about him was that he was a big time supporter of the West borough Baptist church, and had written something about how he hated "sexual deviates".
    He also said Iran was better than the US, based on their enforcement of religious laws (such as punishing homosexuals and limiting women's rights for example.)