1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News 204 Days into 2015, There Have Been 204 Mass Shootings

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Foz, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Foz

Foz Guest

When I first saw this I thought "this is just some jumped up opportunistic journalism", however upon checking the source for this I was shocked to see this was actually true, a mass shooting is defined as 4 or more victims injured or fatal. America, when will your realise the right to life is more important than the right to have fun at the gun range?

There have been 204 mass shootings

Source

2. The Wallflower

Faith? Where are you, faith? I could've sworn he was here a second ago.

3. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  4. 741852963

By contrast in the UK the last mass shooting by that definition was the single event in 2010, five years ago.

With a population 1/5th of that of the States you would expect 40 this year in the UK if things were proportional; instead we have thankfully had 0. Just goes to demonstrate that something (arguably gun legislation or lack of) is seriously wrong right now.

5. The Purple One3

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's insane! Taking away people who want to live their lives just like us doesn't solve anything, properly convey opinions and views, and it's terrible especially for those know and love those innocent people. I wonder exactly end up with the conclusion that just shooting random people is a good idea. When hearing about these I think of someone attacking one person, than lets say a man steps outside to see what happened, just to get shot, and it sorta follows that trend until 10 people are gone. By taking a step outside to see what was going on, multiple people are killed. That's so messed up.

6. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

Do what you can Americans... to stop the insanity. Mentally ill people should not have access to guns. I may have said this on this forum before, but as soon as I step across into the USA from Canada, I feel unsafe. I have seen people with guns on them there as if it's no big deal. I've seen trucks in a huge city there with guns attached on the back.
    It made me think, What the heck is wrong with these people?

It's just so sad. The rest of the free world doesn't know what we can do to help you
    rid yourselves of this plague. Could it start one town at a time swearing off guns? Can you put more pressure on your politicians to make sure thorough background checks are done?

It seems in Canada any politician who wants even tougher gun controls gains votes, whereas in the US it's just the opposite. You don't need a gun unless you are a hunter
    or farmer protecting your herd. At the gun range shooting for fun, just rent one like you rent bowling shoes at the bowling alley. It's a fallacy that you are safer if you own a gun; in fact, quite the opposite. Stop believing the BS the gun lobby keeps feeding you!

7. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A single stabbing at a UK high school results in mass media coverage and tributes paid by the Prime Minister.

A cinema shooting in the US is just another day.

Mass shootings are really rare in most of Europe. The incident in Norway 4 years ago was just unbelievable. That alone caused Norway's homicide rate to spike for one year.

8. Psaurus918

As a pure blooded American... BAN guns already!

9. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Politicians in gun crazy or even conservative states will all get possibly get defeated in primaries or general if Republicans and moderate deems especially in red states move towards tighter gun control laws. Plus there will be revolts possibly and it is just not gonna happen unless republicans want to risk their political lives.

10. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    All sorts of terrible things happen daily here in the US and all the media cares to talk about is what celebrities are reproducing or whatever.

The reasons to flee the US just keep piling up.

11. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  12. MysteriousMadam

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is really beyond disappointing at this point...so is anyone going to try and fix this? No, probably not...

13. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That would definitely stop the shootings, if it could be done and enforced. How would you go about doing that exactly?

14. MetalRice

It can't be done through, unless a constitutional amendment is passed.

15. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure if that would be enough. Even if gun ownership were illegal, the law would still have to be enforced. Back in 1920 the US passed the 18th amendment which banned alcohol. It not only didn't work, it made things worse, until prohibition was repealed in 1933 with the 21st amendment.

16. starfish

We'll have a single payer health care system with universal coverage, long before that happens. Consider all the bickering still going on about the Affordable Care Act, I don't think that will happen in my life time.

17. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

Yes, I understand that Republicans who are anti-gun will probably not get elected... in the southern states anyhow. It's a very complex problem there unlike the UK, Australia and Canada where I believe all political parties are in favour of strict gun laws.

Do you think the attitudes towards guns of your younger people are different than their parents and grandparents? Maybe the next generation will bring the needed changes?

18. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

This proves that our gun laws are too soft and need to be more restrictive, but I agree that something like this probably won't work without proper enforcement. Plus, I don't want people to ban guns completely, rather just regulate them like other countries.

I know people will still kill with other things (knives, baseball bats), but the issue here is 1) Guns are created to kill, knives have other purposes and 2) Being shot has a higher death rate than being stabbed, to which you still have a chance to survive and recover. The Sandy Hook incident happened around the same time as the China stabbing, both with a similar amount of victims and yet a huge number of difference in who survived the attack.

This in general is very sad and makes me have no hope for our country. Mass shootings happen around the world but you'll notice that they happen every 5 years or more in other countries. Here they happen at least once a day. ):

19. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No i honestly don't. From what I see is that enthusiasm behind guns is passed down from generation to generation and they stick to those dedicated traditions because it is what their ancestors and relatives did. Maybe in bigger populated areas things will change but in the deep south and rural areas I think politicians are far too stubborn to change their views and if the those views remain passed down from generation to generation nothing will really change. I honesty think people are far more stubborn about their guns than being against gay rights in conservative areas.

20. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

There's two major problems that will have to be addressed, if gun laws become even more strict, let alone banned.

The first is, you finally give a reason to the anti-government population to take up arms. And there are those who do not own guns, but still support them being available, for whatever reason, who may side with this group. The American culture is encouraged to believe, any action against their 'right to protect' is tyranny. It's the blood of this nation.

Secondly, good luck getting firearms away from the black market or criminal underground. I've mentioned this before, but a few fellows I knew used to always talk about, how they'd like to see guns banned, because they'd know their chances are better. While this was mostly a joke, there is some truth to it. You'd have to find, take, and deal with all those stockpiles.