1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Anti marriage equality campaign about to launch in Australia

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Abdadhie, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Abdadhie

So, if you did't know Australia is "On the verge" of getting same marriage equality, only out idiot PM Tony Abbott and the Liberal party (who, in an ironic twist are the conservative party) hold it back. As of tomorrow a campaign will be launched agains marriage equality. Just watch the video in the article and you'll cringe. It really annoys me so much.

Anti-same sex marriage group is 'desperate', says equality lobby | SBS News

Also, If you have the money and care enough you can support this go-fund me page which is trying to air adds to counter this ridiculous "moment"

Let's get marriage equality on TV! by Australian Marriage Equality - GoFundMe

Thoughts?

2. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So much wrong in that ad that I'm not sure where to start.

It's the usual bull plop by religious types trying to play on people's prejudices and fear of the "unknown". I put unknown in scare quotes because what they've described as unknown is actually known and seems to think that Australia will be the first country in the world to legalise equal marriage.

In short they think people are bubble living idiots and as bigoted as they are.

3. Summer Rose

Well, that is their ideal world: nobody questions religion or reality, thus bigots get to do as they please, condemn who they want, and call it justified.

Here in the US, before July 26th (and even now), they said the same things: SSM will harm the children, the culture, and their "christian" rights. Same speech, different place.

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The more I hear about Tony Abbott and the LNP of Australia the more I begin to dislike them. How unpopular was the Labour Government in 2013 to be ousted by a simpleton named Tony Abbott?

About this anti-equality campaign, I don't see it getting much support in Australia at all. Hopefully Australia will join the rest of the nations that have marriage equality by the end of the year, but with Abbott in charge I'm skeptical.

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The scariest thing is that Labor is not really on board; it's not until 2019 that a binding vote for marriage equality will be put in place and the right-wing factions hold a lot of sway in the party.

The negative campaign is unlikely to sway the public, but it holds equally true that the public is unlikely to convince too many MPs and senators, particularly in the LNP.

6. lettuce

I guess fearmongering doesn't need to be rational to be effective, but I really doubt this will convince anybody. Slippery slope arguments are so last decade!

Here's my favourite bit from their website:
    We know the effects and they pretty much don't exist. Even if not having a mother was detrimental to a child, it's still better than not having any parents at all. Also, women can also be attracted to the same sex as well.

7. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

I am not proud to be Australian moments like these.. I haven't watched the video you speak of yet but the title to this thread greatly angers/saddens me. Tony Abott is a piece of shit! He fucks up in other areas not just within marriage equality. He's just a sad little man that should have been aborted in the womb. I'm actually surprised that he survived infancy. Brutal words yes but I hate this bastards guts. That is all.

8. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Guest

See, this is one of the main reasons I REALLY dislike Australia, next to the fact that their gov't believes hentai is something to ban as they think it constitutes real people having sex. No, I'm sorry to say, I did not make any of that up. I really hate life sometimes, but at least I don't have to live in Australia, so that's a plus.

9. Posthuman666

"theres more to it than you think"

Not really. LGBT+ people deserve the same rights as straight people. Pretty simple concept actually.

10. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe his mom actually tried to abort him, and that's why he's so delusional? :lol:

But really, I do hope the world will eventually learn by example, and notice the countries allowing people to love as they wish haven't exploded, turned into acid, or stomped on by giant angry Jesuses.

It is proven however, if you oppress someone else's basic rights it makes you look bad, and you should feel bad. Might want to take that one into consideration instead, Earth.

11. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There has never been an Australian PM who has been as stupid, mean-spirited, and socially destructive as our Tony Abbott. Unfortunately too many Aussies are the sort of folks who don't seem to think too much, or deeply, and seem to have very short memories indeed. Come the next election, TA will hand out a few sweeteners to the middle class, swinging voters etc and many folks will say, "well I guess he's not that bad, and after all he did stop the boats..." etc etc. The problem is that too many Aussies are just dumb enough to actually reelect this incompetent fool. Too many voters must actually believe the lies and spin his army of spin doctors churn out, all at taxpayer expense of course, to control how the pubic think (ie, as simply as possible, and preferably in three-word slogans. We wouldn't want to stretch folks too far). I do fear for my country at this time, we're going backwards socially at present.

12. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, finally a major English speaking country that makes the US seem almost progressive. That's hard to do!

But seriously, it's sad this has been held up so long, and seems likely to drag on even more.

What's the big objection? Do you have religious sorts down under, like in the states? Where's all this opposition coming from, and why?

13. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mean, Ken Ham IS Australian. :rolle:

14. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The problem is largely that the main parties' (the Liberals/Nationals and Labor) members and selection committees are far more conservative than the voters, regardless of the opinions of the electorates they choose candidates for. Even with anything from 64-72% of the population at large supporting marriage equality, the parties themselves preselect members who are against it, for the most part.

Australia has a larger rate of approval of same-sex marriage than in the US, but our parliament is much more conservative than we are, though we don't seem to care enough to put a stop to that.

#14 Aussie792, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  15. Abdadhie

I don't think the parliament really speaks for anyone who doesn't answer to names like Gina Rinehart. Its never the people put first, always the big businesses and corps. I mean, why would Abbott spend time and money legalising SSM when he could be helping out his billionaire mining friends..

Ffs, with the LNPs in parliament Australia is fast going down the drain...

16. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Politicos ignoring the will of the people? That's unheard of, unheard of I tells ya!